Shorts Tucano T.1 (1:48 Alley Cat Resin)

Mike

Oh lordy! I got some work done on this - the cockpit, coamings and seats are currently being painted up, and while that's going on, I've built up the landing gear and installed the nose weights. I also installed the landing lights after drilling small holes in the back for the red & green paint, then sanded them back to smooth, polishing as I went. The canopy was extracted from its casting surround, and dipped in Klear. As expected, it is now lovely and crystal clear :)

wings.jpg

I'll post up some pics of the cockpit when I've got more painting done. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys :)

Finished painting the cockpit, which I've decided to do OOB as a representative review of what comes out of that diminutive box. The only aftermarket I used was a few dabs of PVA on the 2D etched control knobs to give them a 3D look, and some Mike Grant decals for the larger instruments. I just picked decals that matched the references close enough for my purposes, and painted in the artificial horizon with a mixed light blue. I painted the cockpit with Xtracrylix for some reason, and had forgotten what a PITA they are to spray, always clogging the nozzle of my Infinity 0.2mm. I used Alclad Chrome on the mirrors, which I dotted in with a brush... a few dabs, allowing the carrier to evaporate in between each dab, and I got a reasonably shiny looking surface with no visible grain. I then lined the egdes with black to tidy up.

I'm still not finished painting the seats, but I've glued in the cockpit tub, and placed the instrument panels and coamings in situ.

cockpit.jpg

Nice 'pit Mike, kit looks to be going together really well ! My camo version turned up today (together with a Sea Balliol for me & a Balliol for a mate - they both look lovely too!!) but I dare not start it until I finish at least some of the two dozen or so 'w.i.p's' I have on the go....!!

Keef

Cheers guys ^_^ Now that I have my epoxy glue back from my niece, I might be able to get the wings joined tomorrow :)

I glued up the wings and the nose today using some quality Devcon 5-minute epoxy.

airframe1.jpg

airframe2.jpg

I'll have to do a bit of putty work to the seams, as they're a bit argicultural, and I managed to bend a joystick during the clamping process, so I'll have to repaint that.

I also managed to finish painting the bang seats, although I've just noticed I've not yet painted the evacuation handle between the pilot's legs:

seats.jpg

I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure fully before applying putty, so it'll probably be tomorrow now before it gets done :)

Cheers guys :)

I filled the wing fillet with some Milliput yesterday, which was suprisingly easy. I just squished a sausage of the stuff into the area, then adzed the excess away with a damp sculpting tool. A little light sanding once the filler was cured, and a coat of Alclad primer, revealed that there aren't many defects to deal with. That was nice :) I also epoxied the tail parts to the airframe, and will add the rest once the main parts are fully cured. Once those are on, there's not a helluva lot left to do before I get going with the paint... how did that happen? :hmmm:

airframe3.jpg

Stunning work .........Very nice

How does one go about sourcing this kit ?

This will fit in nicely.......with my basic trainers of the world theme.......in 1/48

Rgds

Mr b

How does one go about sourcing this kit ?

It's available from our very own Ali at A2Zee Linky

Nice job, Mike. Looks like I'll be building one of these as well, although I'd like to build mine in the retro red, white and grey scheme.

A small update. I've attached the rest of the tail feathers, in a slightly lowered position to give a bit of interest to the rear end. You can probably see some evidence of sanding debris from the joints, as I fettle away. I've re-done the starboard wing root, as I wasn't happy with it and the re-scribing of the panel line wasn't too hot. That'll be cured tomorrow, so I'll finish of there then, and reinstate the few panel line ends lost in sanding.

airframe4.jpg