F-14 Tomcat STGB

what jacksdad said....:)

since my time is getting a bit limited, it would be handy to have someone to share the load really, thats all.

so cheers giorgio, please jump in if you can, particularly since I'm no tomcat expert - I just liike making models :)

I'm happy to help too :) Although I'm not sure if it would help I am quite knowledgeable about the F-14, although certainly less than Andy M.!

Arnaud

Well if you still have some room in this one i'm in.

Will be my 1st group build and probably about my 3rd model by that time (currently working on my 1st :) )

going for a hasegawa 1/72 tomcat in VF-31 livery or VF-143 not sure yet

Edited by Zhaith

I'm happy to help too :) Although I'm not sure if it would help I am quite knowledgeable about the F-14, although certainly less than Andy M.!

Arnaud

The more the merrier then:)...and I'm sure most people are more knowledgeable about the Tomcat than me....

When we actually get to start time, I'll see how I'm fixed and then start dumping jobs on any willing people :):):):):):)

and welcome also to the latest additions - enjoy !!

Ok, I'm fine to co-host the GB, hoping this will add a little contribution to what promises to be a great collection of models.

Anyone willing to help is welcome ! Arnaud, as you offer yourself, will be great to have your help ! Anyone who chooses an early VF-33 cat sure knows a things o two about Grumman's finest !!

This is going to be a great GB and thanks to all those for co-hosting! I know I should wait for this GB to start before asking foolish questions but since i'm here..... :unsure:

- does anyone know what load (if any) "Aggressor" F-14s carried? Am thinking of that for a scheme

- my 6 year old son was watching me at the bench last night (I was researching F-14s, what else!) And he asked me:

"Dad, what plane is that?"

"It's an F-14 Tomcat, son".

"Dad, that's coooool! Can I build one?" B)

Now his previous kit experience is an easy kit, snap-together F-18 from earlier last year. Itsdone.jpg

Should I get him a snap F-14 or maybe get him to try glue and paint on a Revell 1/144 kit. Any thoughts? Your father/grandfather/uncle/parental/family hobby advice would greatly appreciated...by the two of us!

Thanks for reading and enjoy your modelling,

Dermo, there are no foolish questions, although there might be foolish answers... :lol:

- does anyone know what load (if any) "Aggressor" F-14s carried? Am thinking of that for a scheme

Aggressor tomcats always flew very light but could be seen carrying the typical air combat training load: a Sidewinder acquisition round (that is with a real sensor but no motor or warhead) and an ACMI pod. Both were carried on sidewinder rails. The ACMI pod can be made starting from a sidewinder, removing the wings and sharpening the tip

Most flew without tanks but there are pictures of these planes with the 2 tanks.

Mind, there might be pictures with different loads, but the one indicated above would have been the most standard

- my 6 year old son was watching me at the bench last night (I was researching F-14s, what else!) And he asked me:

Sounds like he can already tell what a cool aircraft is, the kid is learning fast !!!

Now his previous kit experience is an easy kit, snap-together F-18 from earlier last year.

Should I get him a snap F-14 or maybe get him to try glue and paint on a Revell 1/144 kit. Any thoughts? Your father/grandfather/uncle/parental/family hobby advice would greatly appreciated...by the two of us!

I have no kids so can't help much, however I can say that the revell 1/144 kit is actually a very nice one, so much that if you buy it for your son you might be tempted to build it yourself ! :lol:

Edited by Giorgio N

This is going to be a great GB and thanks to all those for co-hosting! I know I should wait for this GB to start before asking foolish questions but since i'm here..... :unsure:

Now his previous kit experience is an easy kit, snap-together F-18 from earlier last year.

As I have 2 daughters age 2 and 3. And they are already intrerrested in daddy`s Model Railroads and planes....

So at age 6.... Give the boy a 1/144 "Cat" and let him enjoy his time with his dad! But DO NOT let him near your 1/72 and 1/48 ones...... LOL

I'm hoping to join in with this Revell kit:

Tomcat001.jpg

As usual don't treat this expression as contractual, until I start cutting plastic.

I would be building the other option in the kit, shown on this painting diagram. Fightertown - Anytime Baby!

Does anyone have a photo of the actual aircraft? I'd like to confirm the colour of the upper stabiliser and flaps, ailerons etc.

Being a retro scheme I'd have thought they would be white - but the instructions show grey.

Tomcat002.jpg

I would be building the other option in the kit, shown on this painting diagram. Fightertown - Anytime Baby!

Does anyone have a photo of the actual aircraft? I'd like to confirm the colour of the upper stabiliser and flaps, ailerons etc.

Being a retro scheme I'd have thought they would be white - but the instructions show grey.

The instructions are correct, the plane had grey upper surfaces with the white being added only to the rudders. I'll see if I can post a pic (scanner went out of order a few weeks ago and needs replacement), but if you google "F-14d 164350" you'll find a few pictures.

That tomcat still exists in Palmdale in the same colour scheme.

I'm hoping to join in with this Revell kit:

As usual don't treat this expression as contractual, until I start cutting plastic.

Nice Bird....

1132073.jpg

The instructions are correct, the plane had grey upper surfaces with the white being added only to the rudders.

Thanks Giorgio. I found that the plane is preserved and the instructions are correct.

I'll post some photos when I start building. I'm quite looking forward to that now.

Giorgio thanks for the info on the loadout

RNoAF He'll be allowed at the stash when he turns 21, ha ha!

plastic surgeon I started that Revell kit this year but got behind with other builds - I think it's a nice kit and I hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes,

Dermot

Count me in for this one. Mish is probably mumbling "What a surprise, Kiwiboy the F-14 Nut is in on this!!"

As I have 2 daughters age 2 and 3. And they are already intrerrested in daddy`s Model Railroads and planes....

So at age 6.... Give the boy a 1/144 "Cat" and let him enjoy his time with his dad! But DO NOT let him near your 1/72 and 1/48 ones...... LOL

wish my 10yo boy was interested.... But ifs not a computer so forget it.....

personally let him loose on the 1/144 and also find parts on a bigger scale he can help with (weapons or fuel tanks for example - something quick and simple)… looking forward to seeing his work on here...

Now his previous kit experience is an easy kit, snap-together F-18 from earlier last year. Itsdone.jpg

let him loose with glue n paint - loearing young is the best!

learning even...

rules are very simple, kits must not be started (tho' it's ok if the box has been opened....)

post pics and progress reports of your build

post pics of the finished model

and...er....thats it

and yes a hasagawa 1/72 atlantic fleet sqd is ok

:)

rules are very simple, kits must not be started (tho' it's ok if the box has been opened....)

post pics and progress reports of your build

post pics of the finished model

and...er....thats it

and yes a hasagawa 1/72 atlantic fleet sqd is ok

:)

ok ill try and be in too