F-14 Tomcat STGB

• 3 weeks later...

updated hit list - 27 now....anybody else want in?

now's a good time :)

Kev1n

Jacksdad64

Arpie

Robw UK

Daz Greenwood

wellzy

Giorgio N

Shiloh

mrvr6

Jasonb13

Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL

Antony Robertson

Jabba

Alpha Delta 210

Hythe

muller

conehead

moofles

F32

Dermo245

AndyC

Robert

Saintsphil

Bandwagon 106

RNoAF Aerobatic...

Remind me what constitutes 'started' I've got a little tomcat on the go at the moment, I suspect:

a. I'm too far into it to qualify

b. I won't finish in time anyway!

Tomcat build

thats an awsome build but yeah a bit too far done really, but dont let that stop you havinbg a go with another (you know you want to :) )

as to what qualifies, I dont think I need to be too picky, if anybody has opened the box thats ok.......otherwise, so long as there is no serious work done, if in doubt ask and I'll try not to let the power go to my head.

not much anyway....

and thats 29 now, 30 if nick starts another one :)

Kev1n

Jacksdad64

Arpie

Robw UK

Daz Greenwood

wellzy

Giorgio N

Shiloh

mrvr6

Jasonb13

Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL

Antony Robertson

Jabba

Alpha Delta 210

Hythe

muller

conehead

moofles

F32

Dermo245

AndyC

Robert

Saintsphil

Bandwagon 106

RNoAF Aerobatic...

sd01822

Parabat

Irishgreek

Metallicus

Nick (if he does another one)

Looking good.....30/31 up for a cat :)

:(

oh, ok then.....

Kev1n

Jacksdad64

Arpie

Robw UK

wellzy

Giorgio N

Shiloh

mrvr6

Jasonb13

Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL

Antony Robertson

Jabba

Alpha Delta 210

Hythe

muller

conehead

moofles

F32

Dermo245

AndyC

Robert

Saintsphil

Bandwagon 106

RNoAF Aerobatic...

sd01822

Parabat

Irishgreek

Metallicus

Looking good.....29/30 up for a cat

Yup i'm tentatively in for this one. The reason I say tentatively, is that early part of next year, it is highly probable that I will be backwards and forwards to That London.

I have two 1/32 Revell offerings, Both (if I manage it ) will be in VF 143 Pukin Dogs, early livery One for me, one for a good friend of mine. One will hopefully have a few Enchiladas!

welcome dudes....

Kev1n

Jacksdad64

Arpie

Robw UK

wellzy

Giorgio N

Shiloh

mrvr6

Jasonb13

Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL

Antony Robertson

Jabba

Alpha Delta 210

Hythe

muller

conehead

moofles

F32

Dermo245

AndyC

Robert

Saintsphil

Bandwagon 106

RNoAF Aerobatic...

sd01822

Parabat

Irishgreek

Metallicus

TonyGol

PhartycrOc

Looking good.....32/33 up for a cat :)

I am definitely up for this GB! Count me in - I suspect my choice will be the 1:72 Hasegawa F-14D with the VF-31 "Last Flight" markings. Felix Rules!

Good info on the availability of kits in the various scales. I'd like to point out one thing to be careful about, and this has to do with the 1:72 Hasegawa Cats. Hasegawa currently sells both the "old tool" kit (with raised panel lines) and the "new tool" kit with recessed panel lines. It is difficult to tell which kit you're getting by only looking at the boxes (since they no longer have any pictures of the finished models on the box). There is a big difference in the price, however. Do your research before you buy. I was silly enough one day to see a Hasegawa Cat at a great price - which I promptly bought thinking I'd found a great deal. Slightly disappointed when I opened the box.

Now I'm not saying that the old tool kit is bad, actually it's quite a wonderful kit and makes a smashing replica. But if you think you're getting recessed panel lines, separate slats and flaps, photoetch, etc. that only comes with the new tool.

The Fujimi 1:72 "new tool" Tomcat also has a removeable engine, which might make for an interesting display.

Here is a quiz for you guys (and I suspect the rabid Tomcat fans will know this immediately). What's the story behind this picture? Hint: It's connected to the VFX program that eventually gave birth to the F-14.

whatisthis.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird

Good info on the availability of kits in the various scales. I'd like to point out one thing to be careful about, and this has to do with the 1:72 Hasegawa Cats. Hasegawa currently sells both the "old tool" kit (with raised panel lines) and the "new tool" kit with recessed panel lines. It is difficult to tell which kit you're getting by only looking at the boxes (since they no longer have any pictures of the finished models on the box). There is a big difference in the price, however. Do your research before you buy. I was silly enough one day to see a Hasegawa Cat at a great price - which I promptly bought thinking I'd found a great deal. Slightly disappointed when I opened the box.

Now I'm not saying that the old tool kit is bad, actually it's quite a wonderful kit and makes a smashing replica. But if you think you're getting recessed panel lines, separate slats and flaps, photoetch, etc. that only comes with the new tool.

It's not too hard to tell which hasegawa tomcat is new and which is not: the "high visibility" and "low visibility" boxes are the old kit, all the rest of what's on the market today is the new mould. Different story with some old boxes, as some of them were very similar to others that were used with the newer kit.

But you're right, the old mould is still around and better be careful !!

Here is a quiz for you guys (and I suspect the rabid Tomcat fans will know this immediately). What's the story behind this picture? Hint: It's connected to the VFX program that eventually gave birth to the F-14.

Cheers,

Bill

Not sure if I am one of the rabid fans (I probably am..), but the answer is easy: it's the Vought V-507, the LTV proposal for the VFX program.

A very interesting subject it is too, so much that I've thought about scratchbuilding one in the past. It was related to the Dassault line of Mirage G swing-wing projects (many of which used PW turbofan projects that led to the TF-30) thanks to the consultant role that Dassault had with LTV on this project. Some lines of the Mirage family can still be seen in the Vought design.

Edited by Giorgio N

Not sure if I am one of the rabid fans (I probably am..), but the answer is easy: it's the Vought V-507, the LTV proposal for the VFX program.

A very interesting subject it is too, so much that I've thought about scratchbuilding one in the past. It was related to the Dassault line of Mirage G swing-wing projects (many of which used PW turbofan projects that led to the TF-30) thanks to the consultant role that Dassault had with LTV on this project. Some lines of the Mirage family can still be seen in the Vought design.

Nice job, Giorgio! The picture is the full-scale mock-up that Vought (LTV) put together for the VFX submission. Although related to the Mirage G, it was actually a by-product of the Mirage G predecessor, the AFVG (Anglo French Variable Geometry) project, which never went beyond the mock-up stage.

The AFVG was born in 1965 after the cancellation of the TSR.2. BAC and Dassault began collaboration on two aircraft, a small attack jet (later to become the Jaguar) and a variable-geometry fighter (AFVG) for the French Navy, which could also fill the TSR role for the UK. The French pulled out of the AFVG program in 1967 and developed the Mirage G on their own. BAC revamped the AFVG design, eliminating the carrier capabilities that were no longer necessary, into a larger, more strike-oriented aircraft, renamed UKVG. With funding for the UKVG restricted, NATO partners were sought to create a common strike aircraft. This eventually led to the Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MRCA) project, later to become the Panavia Tornado. Here is the mock-up of the AFVG under construction:

AFVG_foto_BAe.jpg

The swing-wing technology developed by Dassault for the AFVG was purchased by Vought (technical designs, drawings, etc.), as was the AFVG mock-up. Vought's VFX mock-up was essentially the AFVG mock-up, with some modifications and a nice USN paint job.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I find it very interesting to look at the history and lineage of the programs that eventually led to very successful aircraft! I think I have the facts straight on the Vought VFX submission but if anyone has more details, I'd love to learn about them.

Cheers,

Bill

Hey Kevin,

Are there GB banners available for this one yet? I was admiring Tony's....

Cheers,

Dermot

yep - go look in the banner forum :), quite a few to look at, tho' I like andy mullen's green n black sig, so if he's up for it I might pick that unless somebody comes up with a design thats better

I am definitely up for this GB! Count me in - I suspect my choice will be the 1:72 Hasegawa F-14D with the VF-31 "Last Flight" markings. Felix Rules!

Good info on the availability of kits in the various scales. I'd like to point out one thing to be careful about, and this has to do with the 1:72 Hasegawa Cats. Hasegawa currently sells both the "old tool" kit (with raised panel lines) and the "new tool" kit with recessed panel lines.

The Fujimi 1:72 "new tool" Tomcat also has a removeable engine, which might make for an interesting display.

Cheers,

Bill

welcome anmd consider yourself 'in'....

I can't really say I'm too bothered about which hasasgawa kit I end up with tbh, I just want more of them :)

wouldnt mind a look at the new fuji one tho....

Thanks for the information Bill, I didn't know that Vought had bought the AFVG mock-up, always happy to learn something new!!!

This probably explains why LTV was the only other VFX competitor that went as far ahead as to build a full scale mock-up, I believe all the other competitors had were drawings and scale models.

Now the relation between the AFVG and the V-107 might make my scratchbuilding plan a bit easier, as there's some info on the AFVG out there...

• 5 weeks later...

kit lined up _new hobbyboss 1/72 f-14a... Not sure which markings I will go for yet, will wait to get my hands on it (once santa has wrapped it and popped down the chimney!).... Looking forward to this now, will be OOB to take my mind off the pesky helldiver (of course when I look at refs I may hack her up to open some panels)