Deon

Happy Martian

DaveJL

Antony Robertson

Jabba

Alpha Delta 210

Hythe

17 atm.....

I'm going to do two - one from the movie "The Final Countdown" and the famous Black Bunny :)

think I'll go work on a banner or two....anybody got any ideas, lets see em :)

oh...and a question for those who know (I'm not one)....

Hasagawa's Tomkitty kits are pretty good - how does the airfix kit rate?

What needs fixing, etc, etc.

...and what other kits are there?

How do they compare, and all that...

spread the word here :)

The Airfix cat represents a very early cat. Which is why it has no probe in the nose, and the early gun vents. And fixes I dunno coz I'll be building mine OOB, and as you know I don't care about accuracy.

And in 1/48 there are the Monogram, Academy, Hasegawa, Fujimi and Hobby Boss.

And in 1/32 we have Revell, Tamiya and Hobby Boss.

And for all things Tomcat this is the best resource on the net.

M.A.T.S

Edited by daz greenwood

cool link :)

I'm not totally obsessed by accuracy either - if it looks like what it's supposed to be, mostly thats good enough

how about 1/72nd scale?

oh...and a question for those who know (I'm not one)....

Hasagawa's Tomkitty kits are pretty good - how does the airfix kit rate?

What needs fixing, etc, etc.

...and what other kits are there?

How do they compare, and all that...

spread the word here :)

Hasegawa's new tool tomcats are wonderful kits both in 1/48 and 1/72.

The airfix kit is very old and is not great. First of all it represents a very early preproduction aircraft, with the first type tail and the very first type gun fairing. Only VF-124 and VF-1 used a few of these. The kit itself has decent (for its days...) instrument panels, useless seats, no detail in the wheel wells, some shapes very inaccurate and funnily raised panel lines for everything, including flaps slats and spoilers. Fixing the airfix kit is IMHO a waste of time, better buy a revell or academy kit or look for a second hand hase or fujimi.

My personal view on the 1/72 tomcats is this:

Hasegawa: brilliant kit ! One of the very best 1/72 kits ever made, with plenty of details and options. Not easy to build and no missiles. There are boxes for every version and can be used to represent any F-14

Fujimi: almost as good as the hasegawa and even more accurate in some parts. Very good details and full armament load. Tricky to build. Every version except the first A and the latest bombcats can be built.

Revell: good, but not as sophisticated as the two japanese kits. Good for a quicker build. Both the A and D versions exist

Academy: quite good, instrument panels and consoles are represented with decals. The fit can be bad and some have plenty of ejector marks everywhere. Represent a late production A before the gun gas vents were modified

Hasegawa old tool: still quite good, even if it has raised panel lines. The academy kit is very similar (too similar...) but has recessed lines

Italeri: not great, shape not accurate, raised panel lines. Represents a mid production A but a box for an A+ was also made.

Esci/Ertl/AMT: even worse although has recessed panel lines. Bad shapes, dodgy details, terrible fit... again a mid production A

Airfix: already discussed above

Matchbox: a lot of inaccuracies, looks like a mix between a prototype and the first production tomcats. Being matchbox kit, you know what to expect in terms of details and panel lines...

Monogram: a kit of the mock up, as such only good to represent a prototype.. but requires a lot of work even to do this. The snap-tite F-14A though wasn't bad shapewise !

I know less about 1/48kits, but the hasegawa is again the best, followed IMHO by the monogram/revell kit. The academy one is not too bad either, although the windscreen and the nose don't look too good. The fujimi and older original revell kits are not worth much consideration today, they're ok to build if anyone has them but there's no point in buying one (the revell is hard to find anyway). The new hobbyboss looks good but has some shape issues I don't like, although they might be fixable. Don't know much about the italeri one.

In 1/72nd we have Hasegawa, Italeri, Academy, Airfix, Fujimi and Hobby Boss.

In 1/144 Revell, Academy, Minicraft and Dragon.

In 1/100 Academy and Revell.

Don't forget Italeri in 1/72!

seems like the Japanese kits are the way to go......trouble is you need to be a multi-millionaire to buy them :(

The airfix kit is very old and is not great. First of all it represents a very early preproduction aircraft, with the first type tail and the very first type gun fairing. Only VF-124 and VF-1 used a few of these. The kit itself has decent (for its days...) instrument panels, useless seats, no detail in the wheel wells, some shapes very inaccurate and funnily raised panel lines for everything, including flaps slats and spoilers. Fixing the airfix kit is IMHO a waste of time...

I dont know much about these things - I just like making models :).....so would the decals that come with it be any good?

By that I mean usable with the kit if VF-124 and VF-1 had these aircraft....

Edited by kev1n

I don't know anything but............................................

The decals in the original release were for VF-1 and VF-2 birds. The decals for the re-release are for birds from VF-14 and VF-41

As the Airfix kit represents a very early cat you could get away with doing it in VF-1, VF-2 or VF-124 markings.

Edited by daz greenwood

Just trying to remember what the markings are with the kit I have.....lololol....I know they're red and I think they have a wolf's head or something on the fin....I'll go look later

By the way - go check out the banner ideas....leave comments....come up with you own ideas as well...:)

I seeee.......so the airfix kit I have could be built oob then.....might do that as well, just for the sake ot it :)