1/32 Revell Tigermoth

Hi

I'm a newbe and was very interested in building this Tiger. I am wondering where the rest of the story of this Tiger is. I would like to see the rest.

Thanks

geejo

Having read through this so would I.

Martin

• 5 months later...

yeah l have to get back to this one but l got another big project burning right now and l started that one back before December and l am only 75% complete on that. Time ,time, time, my kingdom for time!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

To answer your question about canopies on BCATP aircraft; yes they were installed year round but some os removed them during the summer...and thankfully I did...or I wouldn't be around to talk about it.

Doing a Canadian built aircraft don't forget to shorten the forward landing gear struts to get the right stance.. In addition for anyone else doing a DeH Canada Tiger, the factory used aluminum coloured dope on the fabric as a UV blocker before painting the standard Yellow thus you would see the aluminum in the cockpit. My old a/c had this as did the others and it was only about six years after the war. It was flown by various EFTS units in Ontario.

I still have a few factory drawings in the stash if anyone has any questions. And by the way this bird looks really nice.

Barney

• Like 1

Please note that the kit interplane struts are too long, which means that the lower wing dihedral will be too flat. The true lengths in 1:32 are Front 44.5 mm and Rear 45.25 mm. Make sure that your top wing dihedral isn't pulled down if you alter them. The dihedral of the top wing is 2 deg 45 min and the bottom wing is 4 deg 30 min at the front spars. I think the kit top wing is Okay.This means roughly 5 mm under the top tips without the tank fitted and 8.5 mm under the lower tips with roots flat. The fault comes from the Cox drawings which Matchbox used as the basic reference. The drawing shows separate struts and these are over scale.

John

Well seeing all this interest l will have to try finishing it. I need RCN decals for this. I had done the art work but the inkjet printer l had was old and when l got the computer l have now the two did not get along all the time. I got a new color laser print but no decal paper for it. So its been sitting on my desk since. So l ordered some Bare Metal Foil clear decal film today in order to finish this.
We will see when the decal paper arrives what will happen. l also going to see if l can get a sample of that rigging material from Uschi van der Rosten to use on this to give it a try.

Edited by hacker
  • Like 1

Hacker: If you do the RCN aircraft you need to modify the cockpit opening on the sides and not install drop-down doors. The RCN used stock DHC Moths which were equipped with canopies and all the hardware.. If you look closely at the B&W photo, you will see what I mean

Sorry that I didn't catch this early on.

Barney

• Like 1

If you look you see the rail for the canopies just in the photo. The canopies themselves have been removed for what ever reason. By putting on the rails you lose the option of having the entry doors openable. You can see l opted to put the rails on as per photo.

Hacker: If you do the RCN aircraft you need to modify the cockpit opening on the sides and not install drop-down doors. The RCN used stock DHC Moths which were equipped with canopies and all the hardware.. If you look closely at the B&W photo, you will see what I mean

Sorry that I didn't catch this early on.

Barney

Hacker: There were no entry doors on the DHC built Tiger Moths. The opening was right down to the top longeron in the fuselage.

Barney

Please note that the kit interplane struts are too long, which means that the lower wing dihedral will be too flat. The true lengths in 1:32 are Front 44.5 mm and Rear 45.25 mm. Make sure that your top wing dihedral isn't pulled down if you alter them. The dihedral of the top wing is 2 deg 45 min and the bottom wing is 4 deg 30 min at the front spars. I think the kit top wing is Okay.This means roughly 5 mm under the top tips without the tank fitted and 8.5 mm under the lower tips with roots flat. The fault comes from the Cox drawings which Matchbox used as the basic reference. The drawing shows separate struts and these are over scale.

John

I am going to see if l can actually do these modifications to the model. Not going to say yay or nay here as l have to see if its is possible but a couple may not be possible at this stage of the game

Wow this is looking good, that engine looks incredible, great work. I have got one in the stash and will be doing a Royal Navy bird and so if I have them, would you like the clear canopy parts. If so PM and I will send them to you.

All the best

Chris

Hi Hacker

Maybe a tack rag, used by automotive industry to clean surfaces prior to paint. It's a cloth that feels tacky picks up dirt and dust and may have a bit of an anti-static property. If it's really thick dust and grime I think it's need a wash.

Tack rags can be bought on eBay at reasonable prices...

Matt