Boeing wins KC-X

magwitch

I was *this* close to shorting Boeing stock yesterday as I had convinced myself EADS NA would win.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/25/...eedName=topNews

Top marks to the Boeing team for sheer bloody minded persistence on this. They won it then lost it in a corruption boondoggle. Then lost it and had to litigate and lobby like mofos to get the competition reopened then won it on round 3.

Indeed, what a surprise, Boeing get their way again. :rolleyes: Can't have those nasty Europeans making planes for the US. There's nothing like a bit of protectionism to keep a company going after they cock up on one of their own designs, but I guess the US can't afford the likes of Boeing going down.

Possibly very true Enzo

so why go to the bother of making Airbus in all probability spend a large sum of rhino when you take a sensible strategic economic decision.

Maybe European nations (incuding the 51st State) ought take a leaf out of the US book?

Funny how "A global economy" and "Free Trade" suddenly gets ditched when it suits :lol:

Walrus Von Synnichal-B'tard

Edited by walrus

As far as surprises go this is up there with the govt advising against travel to Lybia!!

It was always going to go this way despite what anyone said or did. There was no way the US was going to allow a "European" aircraft to win despite the fact that it was going to be built in the US with probably more US content that the Boeing one!

The US again turns insular and protectionist when it suits them but bleats on the worldstage about freedom of trade etc.

As to "other" forums I have been pretty much disgusted again about the level of European bashing which has gone on ad I said so.

Julien

Nobody really expected Airbus to get the contract did they? Even though the A330 is better - but what's that got to do with it! The Europeans need to get together a bit more and do their own thing.

John

Nobody really expected Airbus to get the contract did they? Even though the A330 is better - but what's that got to do with it! The Europeans need to get together a bit more and do their own thing.

John

And if they (the europeans) did and would establish a tanker fleet of their own , it would be the same over here - no chance for Boeing to win over EADS; even if they had the 'better' aircraft.

Boeing was "humbled" by the win

"Who us? Really? We won? Oh wow, I mean... (waves hand in front of face) gosh we really weren't expecting that. Oh man. I mean... sorry, give us a minute. we feel so stupid. Ok, we're better now, wow, really didn't expect to win that, we're so humbled, we you love mom, dad, this is for you..."

Edited by Jonathan Mock

And if they (the europeans) did and would establish a tanker fleet of their own , it would be the same over here - no chance for Boeing to win over EADS; even if they had the 'better' aircraft.

Hmmm

not so sure judging from recent activity. F-35's anyone.

Guess it's academic - you have to have aircraft to refuel to require a tanker fleet.

That of course ignores the fact both the French and Italian Air Force operate Boeing tankers, and have done for quite some time.

and after all Boeing are truly a 'scale modelers' company in every way.

Lets face it, they haven't finished a plane in ages - jsf contender - didn't work, wedgetail - no joy, 787 - oh dear!, 747-8 - oops and what about the Italian KC767?

They ruled the roost for soooo long, rested on their laurels and dropped the ball.

The competition re wrote the book and now Boeing has to throw their toys out of the pram to get major USAF contracts.

The USAF really missed getting a good aircraft and will probably regret it in the long run.

Not quite right.

Only the Italians have taken delivery of two B767 tankers, 5 years late and still not operational!!! The French are expected to choose the A330.

Also, the new Boeing tanker has still not been fully designed or built yet and will use technology developed for the B787 Dreamliner, and we all know what state that is in. As for the refuelling probe it hasn't yet been designed flown or even passed fuel.

Mind you the aircraft is supposed to be cheaper than the A330.

GOOD CHOICE!!!!!

XVTonker :pilot:

That of course ignores the fact both the French and Italian Air Force operate Boeing tankers, and have done for quite some time.

I am well and truly shocked Boeing won this contract :winkgrin:

The whole KC-X programme has been a shambles, and the only people who have benefitted are the corporate lawyers.

However, the fact remains the KC-30 was *never* going to be politically acceptable, no matter how capable a tanker it is. So the question remains what on Earth were EADS and Northrop Grumman thinking?

They ruled the roost for soooo long, rested on their laurels and dropped the ball.

Indeed, not only with their initial 767 tanker (which Senator McCain kicked up a stink about in the first place because it was a blatant p*ss-take out of the US Taxpayer and kicked off this whole farce), but also in the airliner market.

Edited by Pielstick

I admire the US for doing the right thing and protecting their aerospace industry as well as their national security. The UK cannot offer any advice on either with it's track record.

Not quite right.

Only the Italians have taken delivery of two B767 tankers, 5 years late and still not operational!!! The French are expected to choose the A330.

Also, the new Boeing tanker has still not been fully designed or built yet and will use technology developed for the B787 Dreamliner, and we all know what state that is in. As for the refuelling probe it hasn't yet been designed flown or even passed fuel.

Mind you the aircraft is supposed to be cheaper than the A330.

GOOD CHOICE!!!!!

XVTonker :pilot:

I think the reference was to KC-135s, which the French have operated for ages.

I think the reference was to KC-135s, which the French have operated for ages.

Indeed it was, and also not just to the Italian's "wonderful" KC-767s, but to the converted Boeing 707s they are replacing. :)

I suspect any European/European based tanker fleet would be formed under the NATO banner. All bets would be off then; that'd be hard to call, with interests both sides of the Atlantic.

Indeed it was, and also not just to the Italian's "wonderful" KC-767s, but to the converted Boeing 707s they are replacing. :)

A small note about the Italian 707 T/T: these have nothing really to do with Boeing, apart from being based on a Boeing 707 airframe. The planes were former TAP B-707 converted in Italy.