M.V. Auckland Star

MODeller

Hi All, This one has kept me quiet for around 8 weeks, a scratchbuilt 1\350 Blue Star Line vessel circa 1985. This particular ship is the third vessel to be named Auckland Star and I have built this one as a "warm up" before starting vessel two in which I sailed in!

The hull has its origins in the Imex Nedlloyd Bahrain but with a completely new stern and heavily rebuilt bow section. All the superstructure has been made from plasticard, rod, tube and pieces of sprue. The deck cranes were made by shaping a large piece of sprue then cutting slices for the cabs, the pedestal bases are courtesy of some gas lighter adapters. Etched brass railings and ladders are a mixture of White Ensign and Lion Roar. Decals are home made, paints Revell Aqua and Xtracrylic Light Aircraft Grey. The sea base is polyfilla painted with artists acrylics with several coats of Klear applied.

Any questions please ask and all comments welcome. MODeller

DSCF5037.jpg

DSCF5038.jpg

DSCF5039.jpg

DSCF5054.jpg

DSCF5052.jpg

DSCF5047.jpg

DSCF5046.jpg

DSCF5045.jpg

DSCF5036.jpg

luvly.....how do you do the sea-scape looks so real

The pre-painted ships hull is firmly glued to the base, this makes it less likely that things will get damaged whilst attaching the etched rails and ladders. I then mask around the base edges and cut straight lines using a new scalpel blade which forces the tape into the base and means it is almost impossible for paint to run underneath. Mask the hull sides leaving the waterline exposed then trowel on Fine Surface Polyfilla from a premixed tub stippling the surface with a coarse hogshair artists brush which "pulls" the surface up into wavelets. I then use a smooth flat brush and water to smooth it away from the ships side forming the wake, reference to photos is recommended! Leave to dry for 24hrs before painting in tubed artists acrylics, I use a mix of blue/green adding a spot of black and plenty of white in the wake. Once this is dry I apply several coats of Klear leaving to dry before final touch ups and drybrushing over the wave tops.

Hope this makes some sense but I will cover this with photos on my next build, guess it had better be started sooner than I had planned! MODeller

This is a stunning build. I remember this vessel calling into our local port at about the same time as you've modelled it, and her predecessor in my youth, handsome vessels, I always liked the Blue Star ships with that marvellous funnel, long after other lines had gone to streamlined stacks.

Steve

This is a stunning build. I remember this vessel calling into our local port at about the same time as you've modelled it, and her predecessor in my youth, handsome vessels, I always liked the Blue Star ships with that marvellous funnel, long after other lines had gone to streamlined stacks.

Steve

Thanks for the comments Steve. My next effort will be Auckland Star (2) in which I sailed as a Jun/Eng, leaving London Docks 5th Dec. 1970, Christmas day anchored off Cape Town then coasting around OZ and then over to Bluff for a full cargo of frozen lamb! A real kick for me as I had spent many hours fishing off the piers at Napier marveling at these wonderful ships! Looks like I had better start planning some keel laying! MODeller

Very nice work there Brian! :thumbsup:

I would not know where to start with a build like that. I would like to do a WWII HMAS Sydney or Canberra from scratch one day

Sydney would be a marvellous tribute to a gallant ship, Canberra too. I'd have to vote for Canberra though, one of those in 1/350 would be incredible. I've always thought the County class cruisers were out of their own for sheer good looks. Canberra was a Kent wasn't she?

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Modeller,

I've just passed the Auckland Star in Panama Bay.

She's virtually in the same livery except the red band has been removed from her funnel but she still has the blue star.

I took a couple of photos and will post them when I get back home , if you want them?

bootneck

Hi Modeller,

I've just passed the Auckland Star in Panama Bay.

She's virtually in the same livery except the red band has been removed from her funnel but she still has the blue star.

I took a couple of photos and will post them when I get back home , if you want them?

bootneck

Hi bootneck, The answer is yes please! I am suprised that she is still sailing and carrying her original name as Blue Star Line ceased to exist some time ago! MODeller