Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, MFG 2, Eggebeck

More greyness :). I still remember the fantastic displays the Vikings pair used to put on at the Alconbury and Mildenhall shows in the 80's and it just wasn't the same when the 104 finally retired :crying:.... and so this is one of those things I've always wanted to build. Hasegawa kit with the Aires pit, Quickboost FOD guards and Victory Productions decals. The IP in the cockpit set was rather misshapen and I finished up using the etch on the kit panel. Otherwise.. no problems. The decals were selected to represent 26+74, one half of the Vikings from the 1985 season. Hope you like it...

:cheers:

Gary

DSCN3773_edited.jpg

DSCN3778_edited.jpg

DSCN3800_edited.jpg

DSCN3791_edited.jpg

DSCN3760_edited.jpg

DSCN3799_edited.jpg

DSCN3779_edited.jpg

DSCN3771_edited.jpg

DSCN3786_edited.jpg

DSCN3803_edited.jpg

DSCN3766_edited.jpg

There's only one problem with this model; it's so good I think that I might just have to quit modelling. From where I'm sitting it's modelling perfection. Nice one Gary.

Love it, love it, love it!!!

Occasionally, we get treated with absolute masterpieces which stand out from a lot of superb models.

This one stands out in that elite few as brilliant.

Take a bow Gary :worthy::clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Stunning result! :analintruder:

My hometown is 1/2 hour away from NAS Eggebek, they flew every day over my house in landing configuration. A shame MFG 2 is now history :(

I really like the weathering of your 104 and the faded dayglo orange of the tiptanks.

MARINEFLIEGER rulez! :coolio:

Fantastic! As others have said, the weathering is superb.

Good grief, there's some great builds appearing on Britmodeller this weekend. This site is pure inspiration.

Bloody hell! That's awesome, great build and the weathering is absolutely first class.

That's a belter! :thumbsup:

May I ask what colours you have used? I plan to build the 1/72 Hase kit in this scheme at some point, but wasn't sure if the call out for silver undersides was correct? Looking at your build, I'd assume it's more of a light grey :hmmm:

:goodjob:

Thanks for all the kind words folks, much appreciated!

May I ask what colours you have used? I plan to build the 1/72 Hase kit in this scheme at some point, but wasn't sure if the call out for silver undersides was correct? Looking at your build, I'd assume it's more of a light grey :hmmm:

There's a lot of conflicting info about this... the later ones were certainly RAL 7001 grey underneath. I have seen it suggested however that they started out with silver laquer and in some pics they certainly look silver. But, like RAF high speed silver I would guess it quickly weathers to a dull greyish colour. Add to that the fact that the German name for RAL 7001 is Silbergrau and it's not surprising there's confusion. Given what I had in the paint stash and the fact I wanted to do one close to retirement I used Xtracrylix FS36375 for the underside which is the FS equivelant to RAL 7001 and Revell Aqua no 77 for the RAL 7012 Basaltgrau on top.

Marineflieger :wub: + Starfighter :wub: = :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Just love this one Gary. Really like the way you weathered the tip tanks as those faded really bad.

Looking forward to see what you do with that F-16! (no pressure :lol: )

Julien

Very nice!,great overall finish.

Love the German navy scheme with the dayglo tanks.

Any tips on how you painted the faded dayglo look on the tip tanks?, I've got a German C-160 to finish and I'm planning on doing the early scheme with large dayglo areas.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

That's a great model there, very well done indeed. I always liked the Starfighters in German colours.

Any tips on how you painted the faded dayglo look on the tip tanks?, I've got a German C-160 to finish and I'm planning on doing the early scheme with large dayglo areas.

Base coat it with white for a start to make the orange 'pop'. I used Gunze flourescant orange and cut it with yellow as it's a bit more subtle, lightening the shade the further up the tank I went. The upper and top areas were where I added white to the mix and just feathered it in.

Edited by Gary C