Jungle Hauler - Colombian Air Force Airfix C-47 in 1/72

Hello guys and gals,

Here is my attempt at building Airfix's 2014 C-47 as a Colombian Air Force machine from the 80's. 

C-47 Colombia 2

C-47 Colombia 3

C-47 Colombia 4

C-47 Colombia 5

C-47 Colombia 6

C-47 Colombia 7

C-47 Colombia 1

This build brought many "firsts" for me.
First prop in 20+ years, first transport aircraft I've ever completed, first attempt at "chipping", first attempt at casting parts, first attempt at rigging.

All in all it was a fun build, I made my life harder than it had to be by spilling varnish, glue and thinner in the very late stages of the build.

It's a colorful addition to my display case and it dwarfes all the fighters and trainers I usually build.

Here is the project inventory for those interested

• Airfix A08014 kit
  • Quickboost QB 72 462 Exhausts and QB 72 490 Engines
  • Plusmodel AL7045 wheels
  • Eduard CX401 masks
  • Some scratchbuild parts (anti collision light, various antennas etc.
  • Mr Surfacer 1500 grey primer
  • SEA schemes using Mr Hobby Aqueous H311, H309, H303, H310. Various Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya XF for the rest. Mettalics from the Ammo A-stand range.
  • GX112 for the gloss coat and GX114 for the final flat coat.
  • Decals were sourced from AMK's Kfir kit + generic numbers from USAFline USF72-021

This particular aircrfaft is a 1944 built, ex RAF bird (KN605) which later on was rebuilt as a Basler AC-47T turboprob gunship. What a carreer!

Thank you for reading this far, have a wonderful evening!

• Like 69
  • Thanks 1

Hi, that looks fantastic!  Your main interests are like mine and im trying to get out of my comfort zone and attack a propeller driven aircraft at some time. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I do like the C-47, and yours is fantastic! Lovely work all round! 👏

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, highly appreciated.

Here are a couple of pictures of the real deal which inspired me.

I didn't want to go as hard on the chipping as the real A/C.

That being said, even on less weathered Colombian C-47's, it seems that the cargo doors often took a beating.

FAC681

Source: Both Warpaint 133 (review link here) and Cercy's Douglas DC-3/C-34 in latin american military service have this picture

206945660_10158454013039958_8256475711777512363_n_by_michelum_deo33ak-fullview

Source: I honestly don't remember, I think I got it from a spanish speaking facebook group.

• Like 5

Now how was it when you said I was more of a jet kind of guy.:)  As we can see, it doesn't matter, because in skilled hands there will be an excellent result!

Kk

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kalle said:

Now how was it when you said I was more of a jet kind of guy.:)  As we can see, it doesn't matter, because in skilled hands there will be an excellent result!

Thank you :blush:
I got it easy, the kit's not perfect but it's nowhere near as hard as the vacformed / Mach 2 / 50 year old kits that you normally build! 

Thank you both! 

On 3/17/2024 at 4:25 PM, Ruskin Air Services said:

really like the SEA camouflage and the bright Colombian national markings.

That's what got me too. The idea of a camouflage paint job with discrete roundels and serials contrasted by the bright rudder was just too good to pass. 

• Like 2

What a great looking model of an old warcraft that got another life after WWII.  Really well done and you are right about being conservative in your weathering.  Your portrayal is done with a lot more restraint than the actual photos of the aircraft being used.  Thanks for sharing this.

• Thanks 1