Airfix 1/76 LCM (3) and Shermans

Here's Airfix's classic landing craft and Sherman tank. I've read that the M4 is slightly underscale compared to the LCM, so I tried it out with the Heller 1/72 kit. The LCM parts were a bit warped and the Sherman needed plenty of cleaning up but it's all out of the box except for the tank commander who was pinched from the Airfix Morris Quad. Airfix also supply three nice naval bods in duffle coats. In reality, the LCM (3) was rarely used to transport tanks and was usually seen with a cargo of personnel or supplies. Fortunately, Airfix chose the more exciting option!         

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

Extremely nice "land and sea" combination. You've done a great job on both. Does the ramp go up for a run in to the beach look?? 

Cheers...Rich 

Edited by Armorrich
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Armorrich said:

Extremely nice "land and sea" combination. You've done a great job on both. Does the ramp go up for a run in to the beach look?? 

Cheers...Rich 

Thanks Rich. Yes, it does but it needs a bit of Blu Tack to keep it there. 😉 I'll see if I can add another photo depicting that crucial 'hit the beach' moment!  🙂

You did a very nice job on both Shermans and the LCM, Ian.

I assume your comments about the cleaning up refered to the Airfix M4? I find the Heller Shermans (both the M4 and M4A2) a joy to put together. I must have build more than a dozen, including a turret swap with the Airfix Firefly, an early version with bogeys from a Mirage M3 Grant and conversions with a hybrid hull.

Peter

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pedro1 said:

You did a very nice job on both Shermans and the LCM, Ian.

I assume your comments about the cleaning up refered to the Airfix M4? I find the Heller Shermans (both the M4 and M4A2) a joy to put together. I must have build more than a dozen, including a turret swap with the Airfix Firefly, an early version with bogeys from a Mirage M3 Grant and conversions with a hybrid hull.

Peter

Thanks Peter. And yes, I was indeed referring to the Airfix kit. The Heller Shermans are superb.  

Hi Ian,

Nice set of vehicles, very well finished, as they say, they seem on a larger scale.
A resin base imitating water would be great. but I imagine it is a lot of work and complicated (at least for me it would be...lol).

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Ian,

Nice set of vehicles, very well finished, as they say, they seem on a larger scale.
A resin base imitating water would be great. but I imagine it is a lot of work and complicated (at least for me it would be...lol).

Cheers

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis. Yes, a base is penciled in as a future project! 😉 

• Like 1

That looks brilliant Ian, I really like the last photo, a great view of the tank just about to come off. It all looks brilliant, the painting, the weathering and the figures. Excellent work...👍

Ed

• Thanks 1

That's wonderful to look at. A very fine build. I remember this Airfix kit which I played a lot with as a child. Mine was full of troops who stormed ashore again and again - from the floor onto the carpet...!

• Thanks 1

Thats a lovely bit of work, some really nice weathering going on there.

You know what, this is screaming out for a simple resin water/sand beach diorama.

• Thanks 1