501Sqn 1/24 Scale Hawker Hurricane

Hello. When my 1/24 scale FW190 build hit a snag (should be recoverable), I didn't want to stop building - so I embarked on the classic Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Hurricane. One of my all time favourite aircraft. I originally built this kit as an over excited prepubescent kid during the 1970's and of course, as delighted as I was with it, it obviously looked like it had been built by an over excited prepubescent kid - with little glue control, his sisters nail sanders and over sized paint brushes. This time I hoped to do it more justice.

The subject of my build is P3803 of 501 Squadron. This aircraft was lost off the coast near Ramsgate on 12th August 1940 with F/O Kazimierz Lukaszewicz (Polish) at the controls. Sadly neither he nor his aircraft were ever found.

The build is mostly out of the box - except for the Yahu Instrument Panel, Barracuda Studios Resin tyres, and RB Productions Sutton Harness. The decals were to my own design and printed by https://www.custom-model-decals.com/. All paints and varnishes are Vallejo. One modification I did make was to the (in my opinion) over-sized nose. After looking at different options I eventually stuffed it with milliput and then sanded it down to reduce the base diameter by a small margin.

As you can tell... I'm not a photographer!

20240116_124331.jpg

20240116_124407.jpg

20240116_124304.jpg

20240116_124854.jpg

20240116_124459.jpg

20240116_124838.jpg

20240116_125120.jpg

20240116_124418.jpg

20240116_124314.jpg

20240116_124426.jpg

20240116_124721.jpg

20240116_124849.jpg

20240116_125003.jpg

I am pleased with how it has turned out. As with all models there are a few places I think could do with more work - but in reality I think I'm going to call this one done.

Maybe time to get back to the FW190 :think:.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 45

Now that is a stunner!  Like you, Hurricanes are one of my favourite planes and you've really done this one justice. 👌 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

That's a really nice result. Reducing the spinner diameter definitely makes an improvement, so that was a good call. I have one of these sitting patiently in the cupboard waiting for interest to return, as it stalled after I completed the cockpit - I'll definitely reduce the spinner, having seen yours. Coincidentally, it seems that we are close neighbours!

Jon

• Like 1

You may not be a photographer, but you are on heck of a kit builder and painter/finisher.  This Hurricane looks beautifully done with just the right amount of weathering to so it has been used.  Just a really wonderful build.  Hope to see the 190 on here soon. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Keeff said:

Now that is a stunner!  Like you, Hurricanes are one of my favourite planes and you've really done this one justice. 👌 

Keith 😁 

Thanks Keeff. I seem to remember you were into building 1/24 scale kits as well? Maybe I got that wrong?

21 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Looks great. I really enjoyed making one of these some years ago.

Cheers Flintsone :like:.

21 hours ago, Remus389 said:

With other background, it would be difficult to tell it's a model. 👍

You humble me Remus :yes:

20 hours ago, Jonners said:

That's a really nice result. Reducing the spinner diameter definitely makes an improvement, so that was a good call. I have one of these sitting patiently in the cupboard waiting for interest to return, as it stalled after I completed the cockpit - I'll definitely reduce the spinner, having seen yours. Coincidentally, it seems that we are close neighbours!

Jon

Thank you Jonners. With the nose stuffed with milliput I just put the assembled units (without blades) into the chuck of my Black & Decker Drill - and the sanding was easy on a high speed setting :smile:.

I love East Yorkshire - beautiful part of the country. Are you anywhere near Beverley?

19 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Terrific work Bonkin - you’ve done that venerable kit justice. Well done!

Thanks Darwinism. Cheers.

8 hours ago, tomkil said:

Fabulous job.  Not always easy to get a Hurricane model to look like the real thing but that does.  

Cheers mate.

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

You may not be a photographer, but you are on heck of a kit builder and painter/finisher.  This Hurricane looks beautifully done with just the right amount of weathering to so it has been used.  Just a really wonderful build.  Hope to see the 190 on here soon. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks George that means a lot. I still remember your tenacity with that Heller 190 kit.

2 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Very nice indeed , good work on the Darth Vader spinner :sad: the biggest howler of the kit . The wheels are also a vast improvement too. :goodjob:

Cheers Keith. Although some would disagree, I do agree that the hooter wasn't right :yes: - although I'm sure somebody will correct me :laugh:.

59 minutes ago, Bonkin said:

Thanks Keeff. I seem to remember you were into building 1/24 scale kits as well? Maybe I got that wrong?

You're not wrong, I did a 1/24th Hurricane myself when I came back to the hobby.  I have the Airfix Typhoon waiting patiently for its turn .... 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Brilliantly done, wonderful finish that stands up well in this ‘no where to hide’ scale, you’re tempting me to try an Airfix Superkit in the near future as they are re-launching the P51!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bonkin said:

Thanks George that means a lot. I still remember your tenacity with that Heller 190 kit..

That plastic was awful and brittle.  The model itself was not bad and very buildable as designed, but the awful plastic . . .  That was when I actually built kits.

• Like 1

That's superb!

On 1/16/2024 at 8:08 PM, Bonkin said:

As you can tell... I'm not a photographer!

They look pretty good to me.

Charlie

• Like 1

That's a brilliant result on the old Airfix large scale classic - well done!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for those photographs bonkin.  Superb work.

I have a part built Airfix 1/24 Huricane which I need to complete. Like you and Jonners I was unhappy with the spinner,  had wondered about the 'fill with Milliput' - or other hardening material - to do exactly as you describe. Nice to know it worked.

John B

• Like 1