Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) / AZmodel – What's new in 2024?

Homebee

13 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Given the KP WW1 operating proceedure of converting existing resin kits to plastic (amongst a few others), I wonder what the Avros will be based on. Very pleased (and suprised) if a new tool, less so if it's based on the HR resin, since those were very poor copies and adaptations of the Airfix kit (which itself is okay given the age, but needs a few corrections such as cockpit locations as well as total modernisation). If an AZ production and on a par with their other biplane kits I'd be happy with that.

Paul.

There is a thread on the KP/Sabrekit Avro 504K from March that shows CAD and printed master:

So lets hope they based it on proper drawings and not on the ancient Airfix kit.

It should be possible for KP to release a lot of versions; Bomber, Zeppelin interceptor, trainer and early civilian to mention a few.

It is hard to understand that they will go up against Eduard and Arma with a P-51D.

Will be like me taking my 20 year old Skoda Fabia to race against the latest Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Edited by LN-KEH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Presumably the ex - Hippo one they re-released a few years ago, also released with a lot of upgrades and new decals by Freightdog, although I doubt Colin has any left by now.

Paul.

I have a couple of the old Aurora 1/48 Götha G.Vs. This rerelease has to be more detailed.

Look forward to the Avro 504K,Nieuport 11 and you can never get enough Airspeed Oxford's.  Love the Miles Messenger range any chance you can produce the Miles Gemini please ? It has the same wing dimension's as the Messenger.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I have a couple of the old Aurora 1/48 Götha G.Vs. This rerelease has to be more detailed.

It is, I have one of the original AZ boxings as well as the one by Freightdog. Oh, hang on, I screwed  up. Freightdog did buy up and resell some sprues and PE sets with AZ instructions but no decals and sold them very cheaply, then Aviattics sold the rest with their decals and a set of PUW bombs.  And they're now sold out. I'll go back and ammend my original post.

Despite having both those reissues mentioned above, I'm still looking for a reasonably priced (i.e. dirt cheap) Aurora kit for nostalgia purposes. I only have the nacelles left from the one I built over 50 years ago.

Paul.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2024 at 1:53 AM, LN-KEH said:

It is hard to understand that they will go up against Eduard and Arma with a P-51D.

Because it's AZ/KP's marketing 'strategy', repeated quite regularly and for a long time. If word about the release of a new kit gets out early enough, they will ride the wave of someone else's marketing. The moulds cost them very little, so the release will sell easily. It is also part of a battle with Eduard that has been going on for years. The story is interesting but long and I don't know if anyone would care to describe it in detail.

7 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Because it's AZ/KP's marketing 'strategy', repeated quite regularly and for a long time. If word about the release of a new kit gets out early enough, they will ride the wave of someone else's marketing. The moulds cost them very little, so the release will sell easily. It is also part of a battle with Eduard that has been going on for years. The story is interesting but long and I don't know if anyone would care to describe it in detail.

I can understand AZ/KP approach for kitting the Me 109 and Spitfire, doing both the common and not so common versions.

They did a good Spitfire X and XI - a version Eduard might get around to do in ten or twenty years.  Same with the Me 109 - doing decent Me 109T and a whole bunch of Luftwaffe 46 versions that Eduard won`t dream of.  Visiting the great aircraft museum in Kbely, the little shop there stocked and sold KP/AZ kits with Czech(oslovakian) and Luftwaffe markings.

But the P-51D does not have that many versions unless they go for the late Cavalier and racers - it wouldn`t surprise me if KP/AZ will do that.

3 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

But the P-51D does not have that many versions unless they go for the late Cavalier and racers - it wouldn`t surprise me if KP/AZ will do that.

If someone has already released them in 1/72 and AZ/KP can be 'inspired' by them, they might appear. But these are not the days when this company actually designed from the scratch and there were kits of such quality as the Breguet XIV.

Regarding both the Lily and Gotha V they are expensive on the secondary market so a re-pop of these kits makes sense.  I have both in my stash and they are actually nice kits even though they are short run.  Just picked up the Aviatic decals for the Gotha and think I will tackle it.  

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I've been interested in their early Seafire for a while. I wonder if the quality is significantly better than their Astir I have, which isn't great.

The early Seafires are made from their "high quality" moulds so they are better kits compared to AZ/KP short run line. I don't have the Astir but have a couple of their Spitfire I/V from which the seafires are derived. They are no Tamiya of course but are buildable. What I don't like of these kits are the dimensions that don't match measurements as much as I like.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Redboost said:

Yes, it is. Look at other companies schedules.

Took me a little while to get this.  So I guess what you are saying is that when Airfix drop their Hampden later this year the AZ Hampden might appear around about the same time?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nheather said:

Took me a little while to get this.  So I guess what you are saying is that when Airfix drop their Hampden later this year the AZ Hampden might appear around about the same time?

The AZ Hampden is just the Valom Hampden with new clear parts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The AZ Hampden is just the Valom Hampden with new clear parts.

I’m aware of that - but it is more than that.  It is just a matter that they fix inaccuracies, it is more a case that the Valom transparencies are too big and don’t fit.  That is enough to stop me buying the Valom kit - I know that many will say that there are after-market parts but I’m not interested in splashing out on a kit knowing that I have to buy after-market just to make the kit fit together.

I’m quite surprised that Valom haven’t made any moves to update their kits with corrected transparencies.

42 minutes ago, nheather said:

Valom transparencies are too big and don’t fit

I think AZ model re-boxed the kit already earlier and re-tooled the clear parts. 

34 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I think AZ model re-boxed the kit already earlier and re-tooled the clear parts. 

Are you talking about the Valom or AZ models?

I know that AZ already has re-tooled transparencies but the model is very difficult to find.  I didn’t think there had been any update to the Valom models, they are pretty easy to find but I assume that would be with transparencies that don’t fit.

4 minutes ago, nheather said:

Are you talking about the Valom or AZ models?

I know that AZ already has re-tooled transparencies but the model is very difficult to find.  I didn’t think there had been any update to the Valom models, they are pretty easy to find but I assume that would be with transparencies that don’t fit.

I don't entirely understand what you mean. AZ has already re-boxed the original Valom kit in 2016, with re-tooled clear parts. Now they will re-box it again, maybe the PE parts are omitted, and replaced with plastic parts. 

AZ used to sell those re-tooled clear parts separately, but they don't seem to be available anymore. 

8 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I don't entirely understand what you mean. AZ has already re-boxed the original Valom kit in 2016, with re-tooled clear parts. Now they will re-box it again, maybe the PE parts are omitted, and replaced with plastic parts. 

AZ used to sell those re-tooled clear parts separately, but they don't seem to be available anymore. 

This is getting circular - I don’t understand what you are saying either.

My understand is that Valom and AZ Models are two different companies - maybe that it my misunderstanding.

I think there are AZ Model kits that have always had corrected transparencies and there are Valom kits that don’t have corrected transparencies - have I got that wrong?

Yes there are two different companies

Yes, Valom did release a Hampden with poor transparencies

Yes, it was then rereleased by AZ with improved transparencies

Valom have announced they are rereleasing their Hampden.  It is said that it will have the same plastic

AZ have now announced a Hampden.  I presume it is the Valom one with their improvements, again.  I believe they have not said that it is to be a new tooling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nheather said:

This is getting circular - I don’t understand what you are saying either.

My understand is that Valom and AZ Models are two different companies - maybe that it my misunderstanding.

I think there are AZ Model kits that have always had corrected transparencies and there are Valom kits that don’t have corrected transparencies - have I got that wrong?

Valom and AZ are indeed 2 diferent companies, but both have released Hampdens from the same basic tooling.

The tooling originated with Valom who released 5 versions in 2008/2009 with the original clear sprue

AZ susequently released 2 versions using the same tool for the airframe sprues and a revised clear sprue in 2016/2017, with the revised clear sprue being sold separately for those who already had the Valom kit and wished to upgrade their clear parts.

Niether manufacturer has reissued the kit since then, so if your're buying Valom you'll get the original clear sprue and if AZ you'll get the revised sprue (unless you're buying second hand and parts have been swapped!)

• Like 1