F170 - Northrop Black Widow P-61 **Finished**

JOCKNEY

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Then we need to tackle those stripes

Stripes are great!

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Clearly the problem is the bloke 9n the handle ! :doh:

Hopefully a 2nd coat will have it looking more respectable.

They'll be fine, more thin coats.

• Thanks 1

Hi Pat,

this big guy is looking impressive and must weigh a ton!

Re the white, I have given up using a paint brush on an average to big surface.

As I do not have an air brush, I use a spray can of Tamiya white primer. Super thin-grain and resistant paint, it makes for a perfect white.

No brush mark, no thickness.

To paint yellow on top I now prefer Gunze + flow improver, thanks to the advice of our own @AdrianMF. I tried it and I never looked back. Just don't put any drop of liquid glue or alcohol on top... 

I personally think that trying to paint Tamiya with a brush sucks. Flow improver helps though.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

Corax White and Averland Sunset

Averland Sunset is indeed a wonderful paint! It gives a solid yellow over anything in two coats. OK, maybe three...

Corax White covers well but is more of a very pale grey, so it needs a couple of white-white coats on top. I am currently nursing an ancient jar of its predecessor, Ceramite White, which covered well and was a pretty pure white.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Nice solid white application Pat, however I must ask, what masking tape are you using?

Can I recommend using some Tamiya tape or perhaps cheaper Frog Tape (if available in Scotland). 

I'm sure you'll get this sorted, however using a good masking tape will save you time cleaning up afterwards. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice solid white application Pat, however I must ask, what masking tape are you using?

Can I recommend using some Tamiya tape or perhaps cheaper Frog Tape (if available in Scotland). 

I'm sure you'll get this sorted, however using a good masking tape will save you time cleaning up afterwards. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave

It's not tamiya so I think that's a lesson learnt for me going forward

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Unless you have a photo of this actual plane showing perfect stripes, dont be too worried about ragged edges as quite often the stripes were applied in the field, in a hurry on 4 or 5 June and could look very rough.

AW

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well I'm calling this one done, many thanks to Frank @bentwaters81tfw for the canopy  / clear parts without which this one would have languished in the stash for ever.

Thank you all for the support and encouragement during the build, let me know what you think.

Cheers Pat 

20240323_090616

20240323_090634

20240323_090722

• Like 20

• JOCKNEY changed the title to F170 - Northrop Black Widow P-61 **Finished**

Pat,

One trick I found over on Reddit, was to mask up then apply a line of the original base colour before painting the final colour. Apparently it fills any gaps. Tried it on the Stuka build and it seems to work.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Pat, this P-61 looks really good all black & riveted. 

Nice quick work mate. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

A fine job on that Pat, the idea of not painting the areas that were already the right colour certainly resonated with the 15 year old me. I think I would have done likewise though I never had one of these. A cracking result with it. :)

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

US planes don't really "speak" to me for some reason, but this one has recently started grabbing my attention. So it was nice to read through your thread and see one built. Thanks for sharing it Pat.

Gavin.

• Thanks 1

Lovely build, Pat. Great to see all that black plastic retained, which only highlights the detail of the bits that are painted. It’s a good nose sitter too - let’s have spinning props in the gallery! Well done, wot’s next? All the best. Mike

• Thanks 1