A KILLER BEAUTY, Kingtiger Porsche Turret Sdkfz.182 MENG 1/35 *FINISHED*

Hi Pals,

I finish the model and here are some photos of it.

To say that it was a quality and well finished kit, without major problems that any modeller with some experience knows how to solve satisfactorily.
Added to that is a model that, by not having interiors, and with clean and simple lines, helps a lot with its assembly.

It's practically OOB, with the exceptions of the added Zimmerit (Tamiya stickers), the ABER metal antenna, and an MG34 machine gun, from the spare parts box and the metal front MG as well.

The Zimmerit, not being from the MENG brand, could be a serious problem, but, surprisingly, the dimensions of the two kits (Tamiya and MENG) must be very similar, because there were no major mismatches, everything was quite well adjusted.
In the instructions, they indicated that it had to be placed before the accessories, but I didn't see it, and I did it the other way around...maybe it was more difficult, but with a cutter, I was able to cut off excess.
In some places I used CA glue to avoid peeling later.

Note that the front and rear hooks, as links, should not be placed without having joined the hull pieces, because otherwise they cannot be joined.
In my case, I put them in to prevent them from getting lost, since they don't come with glue, so I had to do a bit of thankless work to fix it.

The tracks turned out to be simple, since the pieces are a good size, and their fit is also very good, and the kit also includes some jigs to help you assemble them.

The PEs are few and easy to work on (I love it...lol).

I didn't really like the paint schemes proposed by the kit, and although I did tests, in the end, I decided to clean it (several times), and make a model with the basic color, and with little use, without marks.

For the painting I used the AK DK set, with AB, modulating Vallejo MA Red Primer layer, and for the weathering, 501 oils and various pigments.

Small leaves added at random points on the model, fixed with matte varnish.

I have only varnished with satin, the parts that do not wear Zimmerit, I imagine it would be more matte than glossy, and neither the parts that accumulate dust.

Thank you very much for watching and commenting as always.
Greetings and Happy New Year 2024.🎄
Francis.👍

3YXzWrW.jpg

DAL5lXA.jpg

syHM7Th.jpg

ipF2biq.jpg

B4siTC7.jpg

cNHIjyq.jpg

vR93ODY.jpg

vNB8Pl5.jpg

3lyPZFo.jpg

eug7loo.jpg

KrQnaP5.jpg

Lu8zhv1.jpg

iNi6BCj.jpg

VCYOoJE.jpg

Some shots on detail...

S3lRiBy.jpg

Lv4sTpu.jpg

qtrNR9a.jpg

9fPhATN.jpg

Y6hVMEQ.jpg

4N4ducl.jpg

BbVSTug.jpg

SaT91XT.jpg

A couple in B/W...

I4jscYa.jpg

BGcTP3n.jpg

The (hypothetical) historical photo...

7ZT5RW4.jpg

And a few with his brother Henschel (Zvezda posted on the forum):

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094156-all-the-beasts-hail-to-the-kingtiger-kintiger-henschel-turret-135-zvezda/#comment-4095968

jVRu9E6.jpg

lqTFmjW.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 2

First, Happy New Year to you Francis! 

As always, your work is exceptional, the finish is amazing and this build has been an enjoyable one to follow. 👏

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

Stunning. The Tamiya zimmerit is very effective. I've always dismissed it but may have to look again. 

• Thanks 1

Excellent work. Love the way you let the red oxide primer show along the edges. Great effect. Also no mudguards...my favorite!! A really hot KT!!!

Cheers...Rich 

• Thanks 1

That's great Francis. A quality paint and weathering job and the Zimmerit looks very good. I'd used it once before but it didn't come out as well as you have achieved. Very well done.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Great modelling, Francis,  as if we'd get anything less, wonderful job creating an interesting single colour paint job. 

The zimm has worked out remarkably well, are you going to prove to us how the photo etch zimm can work too?

Really super modelling and photography 

Best wishes 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/01/2024 at 19:22, Andy H said:

A wonderful job, as always. 😎😎😎👍

If my KT with Tamiya Zim stickers comes out half as good as that, I'll be very happy. 😀

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

I am convinced that you will do a great job with your Zimm, even better than mine, since you have already seen the result...lol
I'd love to see what you get.

Cheers

Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2024 at 19:32, Keeff said:

First, Happy New Year to you Francis! 

As always, your work is exceptional, the finish is amazing and this build has been an enjoyable one to follow. 👏

Keith 😁 

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, i'm glad you like it, much appreciated as always,

Cheers

Francis.👍

Very well done @FrancisGL you made the dunkelgelb shine with that brownred undercoat. 

The details are top notch and the weathering is prominent but not over the top. 

Great work again! Can't wait what's next on your workbench. 

• Thanks 1

Another great Tiger in your performance. It's starting to become a herd already. I really like the highlights and shading of the base colour, although it's not my favourite 🤪. Emphasis on the zimmeritt line also very balanced and not overdone. And a very convincing photo in the forest :goodjob:

Edited by Tom W.
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2024 at 19:54, IanC said:

Stunning. The Tamiya zimmerit is very effective. I've always dismissed it but may have to look again. 

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, i'm glad you like it.

If you doubt the Zimm in stickers, it is a great resource, although it will not be the best on the market (I think A-TAK is really good), but it makes it much easier to apply a Zimm to our model if necessary.

Cheers

Francis.👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2024 at 01:15, Armorrich said:

Excellent work. Love the way you let the red oxide primer show along the edges. Great effect. Also no mudguards...my favorite!! A really hot KT!!!

Cheers...Rich 

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your like and kind comments, i'm glad you like it, much appreciated.

Lucky coincidence, the mudguards, break their aesthetic too much for my taste too...lol

Cheers

Francis.👍

On 07/01/2024 at 08:39, Stef N. said:

Eso es genial, Francisco. Un trabajo de pintura y envejecimiento de calidad y el Zimmerit se ve muy bien. Lo había usado una vez antes, pero no salió tan bien como lo has logrado. Muy bien hecho.:thumbsup:

Hello Stef,
Thank you very much for your like and kind comments, much appreciated. I think it was a bit of luck, because I started off wrong thinking that it was applicable to water as always, and also it was not the same brand as the kit, maybe that's why I paid more attention if possible...
Cheers

Francis.👍

Great looking Königstiger, Francis, the weathering is just the way it supposed to be and the pictures look cool, especialy the B/W ones. Do you plan to put a figure in the turret?

• Thanks 1

On 07/01/2024 at 09:31, Farmerboy said:

An absolute beauty, what a great build, and love the photography, great job!

Hi Famerboy,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, much appreacited mate.

I believe that photos are an important part of the hobby when it comes to sharing our work, that is why I personally pay attention to it so that the model presented looks as faithful as possible to what it is.

Cheers

Francis.👍

I've only just realised that I hadn't looked at this one. Glad that I did. Another masterpiece Francis. Great build and excellent painting and weathering. Nice work.

John.

• Thanks 1

very nice modelling. One point. Quite possibly my ignorance, but were barrels ever finished in red oxide primer? I understood that if a replacement/ uncamouflaged barrel is featured it should be painted in a heat resistant dark gloss grey primer? 

• Thanks 1