Folland Gnat T1

81-er

This is going to be my entry, picked up from either Lidl or Aldi earlier on this month (I can't actually remeber which of my excessively large haul of bargin kits came from which):

k6ZFLqL.jpg

The box contains two very nicely moulded sprues of parts (plus the clear sprue):

u5CxW48.jpg

I'll be building the boxart airframe, complete with the black tail. I've only got Xmas eve and Xmas day to complete it, but I'm reasonably confident I can manage it

James

• Like 12

I've already done the experiment on a paint mule ;) The result is I'm sticking with a white base, I didn't like the colour shifts from orange or pink base coats

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've just found this gem about the fate of XR992:

XR992 herself came to a rather comic end in December 1969 when another pilot reported its engine was on fire. Fl Lt Dickie Duckett immediately ejected as required by procedure, whereupon Mr Observant said "Oh terribly sorry, it’s XR995 that is on fire..."

I would NOT have wanted to be the pilot reporting the fire when he landed :cwl:

James

• Haha 5

I fiddled with this kit in the summer on one of my ‘in the motorhome builds’. The undercarriage has to be put in early which is quite problematic. The kit yellow paint left a lot to be desired. Look forward to seeing your progress 😊

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:51 AM, Jinxman said:

Love a Gnat, good luck with the yellow finish. @Hockeyboy76 might have something to say about the lack of pink primer though.

I did give it a go, I just didn't like it lol

1 hour ago, Adrian Hills said:

I fiddled with this kit in the summer on one of my ‘in the motorhome builds’. The undercarriage has to be put in early which is quite problematic. The kit yellow paint left a lot to be desired. Look forward to seeing your progress 😊

I've seen the u/c needs to be in early and the difficulty that can bring. I guess I'll just have to be careful with the paint. I won't be using any of the paints supplied with the kit, I've got a decent stock of good paint :cwl:

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

I did give it a go, I just didn't like it lol

I've seen the u/c needs to be in early and the difficulty that can bring. I guess I'll just have to be careful with the paint. I won't be using any of the paints supplied with the kit, I've got a decent stock of good paint :cwl:

James

Shocking :giggle:

• Haha 1

I'm sidelining this one as I don't think I can get it done in the time available to me around my festive commitments. Nothing fits, and I’m not even sure the port intake comes from a Gnat kit, it’s that far out of shape. I’ll finish it in the new year when I’m not up against a deadline. I have found something I think I can build in the time available though, I’ll start a thread for that in a minute.

James

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm sidelining this one as I don't think I can get it done in the time available to me around my festive commitments. Nothing fits, and I’m not even sure the port intake comes from a Gnat kit, it’s that far out of shape. I’ll finish it in the new year when I’m not up against a deadline. I have found something I think I can build in the time available though, I’ll start a thread for that in a minute.

James

don’t forget to subtract the time you spent on this one from the next 24 hour period. 🤣