Revell Boeing 767-300ER BA Chelsea Rose - Well Nearly

Here is my first ever upload, the Revell Boeing 767-300ER in the BA Chelsea Rose scheme. Well not quite...

The build did in fact start out as the above, although it was never going to end up as Chelsea Rose as I was never a fan of the World Tails, so it was planned for it to go straight to its retirement Chatham Dockyard scheme. However, being an avid viewer of BigJet TV live streaming, I kinda fell in love with the old United Schemed 767s regularly seen at Heathrow, so the model took a new turn.

Being a BA 767, the Revell kit duely includes nice representations of the RR RB211s as well as the GE CF6s. However, United 767s utilised the PW4000 series power plants, which superficially, are pretty similar to the GEs. I thought long and hard about just using them, but in the end, went for some resin replacements. Another (obvious) difference is that the BA 767s were never retrofitted with the 11ft high shark fin winglets, so resin additions were also sourced, as well as a PE set which was actually designed for the Zwezda 767, so none of the engine parts could be used, although most of the other parts, including some nice landing gear improvements, could.

When observing a lot of the old schemed United 767s arriving at Heathrow, you can't help but be struck by how dirty some of them are, particularly around the APU. So, I decided to attempt to replicate this. Paints used were mostly airbrushed Tamiya acrylics, weathering was a combination of Flory and Vallejo washes. I made several mistakes during the build, including spraying the tail the completely wrong shade of blue, which then required a removal job using tissue paper wrapped around the tail soaked in Dettol. The acrylic paint came off OK and was replaced with a Revell enamel mix that I'm now pretty happy with.

The decals were sourced from ebay, but I can't remember exactly who the supplier was. They were laser printed meaning that any white parts were actually transparent. The decals went on nicely, apart from the gold cheat line which I'm not happy with. It's too thin and the gold isn't, in my opinion, vivid enough. In hindsight, I could have reprinted the cheatline myself and made it wider.

This is only the second model that I have made since returning to the hobby after a 40 year hiatus. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it:

Img_2376

Img_2378

Img_2382

IMG_2380

IMG_2371

Img_2370

Img_2364

Img_2366

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Quite the coincidence seeing that model, I fly those 767-300’s for United into LHR regularly, but not for long as I retire in Jan 2024 after 36 years flying jetliners. You’re pretty accurate about the dirt, those birds work hard for a living !

• Like 1

Cool! Love these old workhorses and the modelling is superb. I regularly visit Heathrow to photograph them.

I also watch Big Jet TV from time to time - Gerry is....well, ........entertaining/!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Superb build of the good old Revell kit.

I remember the United 767s being ,still, regular visitors in Zurich.

Always loved the design of the 767,esp. I like the winglet retrofitted ones.

Thanks for sharing.

Alex

Beautiful work and love the fact that you have weathered it so realistically, the muck round the tail cone is a great touch, usually rudder PCU or yaw damper leaking skydrol.

Your photo's are great too, I particularly love that shot of the fuselage reflected in the top of the wing skin.

Love it!

Eng

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing.  I've always had a soft spot for the Revell 767 which was the kit that got me into model airliners about 30 years ago.

I'd guess the decals are by Richard Warcup aka RichW who is a member of Britmodeller.

Dave G

Hi, Love it. Your UA Boeing 767 really looks the part. Having photographed many of these all over the world, they always have a slightly tired look about them. As someone said earlier, they have been worked really hard! Amsterdam was always a great place to see them as well.

Many thanks for all of your kind remarks and comments, much appreciated by a 'first timer' !

Regarding the weathering, this was real trial and error. I had a lot of both photographic and video material to use a basis, but as for techniques used to weather commercial airliners, it was really difficult to find any useable information on this. In the end, most of the heavier weathering was achieved using powdered charcoal applied with a soft brush, then blended in using pointed cotton wool buds moistened with lighter fuel. This was then lightly dusted in matt varnish to take the shine out of the adjacent paintwork.

Regards

Edited by Airbusboy

Hi,

Very nice! After a 40 year break you certainly haven't gone rusty!

I do like the 767 in that livery and agree they often look very grubby so your weathering around the tail is very realistic.

Personally I feel the panel lines on airliners don't need any dark washes as this highlights the fact they are usually overscale and the static dischargers on the nose cone appear overscale too. Authentic Airliners Decals do 3D static dischargers which look better.

They also do photo realistic window decals too which myself and many other airliner modellers on here use.

Here's a link to their 767-300 sheet.

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-BO-13-3

Like you I often use PE details which really help to bring a model to life particularly the landing gear so well done, many shy away from them as they can be very fiddly!

Looking forward to seeing more from your workbench!

Cheers,

Ian