Mosquito NF36

Hi everyone 

This was my entry to the deHavilland GB earlier this year which I’ve only recently finished. It’s Tamiya’s NFxiii/xix kit with Pangolin Models two stage resin Merlin engines and the correct exhaust shrouds pinched from an old Airfix kit. I did a bit of scratch building in the cockpit to get the correct AI set. The sharp eyed among you will notice that there’s no bulge on radar operators side window. I tried to replicate this a few different ways using various vac form options as there’s no direct replacement available anymore but it just looked rubbish. So I decided to just live with the kit canopy as is. 

Anyway, we have Mosquito NF36 RL147 of 85 squadron based at West Malling circa 1951. Decals are from Freightdog, paints are Colourcoats, weathering with Flory wash and oils. The weathering looks heavier in the photos than to the naked eye. 

53332753329_a920a6d9ec_k.jpg0940DEDC-05B0-408D-AD5A-F880244B02C2 by James Halls, on Flickr

53331537167_ae7a74763a_k.jpg3B68DC54-5E82-4A53-A58D-03D52CD9C8F9 by James Halls, on Flickr

53332642458_274dfce209_k.jpgCEF6F596-314E-4B4D-952A-E53E033B4AC6 by James Halls, on Flickr

53332753234_9aa525d350_k.jpg8512E014-46FE-4BCE-ABCD-0155C2FFC358 by James Halls, on Flickr

53332753249_443ec20d63_k.jpg3BA7EA9F-B17B-4EE3-B713-D558382BA884 by James Halls, on Flickr

53332870340_aedc6f7373_k.jpgD499CE04-D74D-4CE1-8CF4-324E0E9A37A1 by James Halls, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. Questions and comments welcome as always. 

James

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Those two stage Merlin engines look like they’ve mated very well with the kit nacelles, you’d almost think they were OOB. I’ve never noticed how large the new exhausts were on this variant too. That’s an excellent build and has convinced me to source a pair of these engines for myself. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Beautiful model, but I’m not sure the thimble nose and exhaust shrouds add to the beauty of the mossie!!

Thanks @Farmerboy  Agreed that the nose and exhaust shrouds do nothing for the Mossies good looks. 

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Those two stage Merlin engines look like they’ve mated very well with the kit nacelles, you’d almost think they were OOB. I’ve never noticed how large the new exhausts were on this variant too. That’s an excellent build and has convinced me to source a pair of these engines for myself. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thanks very much Dave. The new engines do fit like the proverbial glove. I’m not sure how easy the Pangolin Merlins will be to find right now but Brengun now do a set so that might be the way to go. I’ve found through this build that the hardest part for modelling a late Mossie is finding the correct canopy. 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Fantastic job on a version we don't see very often.  I like it. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I have to say I find in general the post war Mossies more interesting than the war time versions. 

Thanks all

James

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, franky boy said:

The new engines do fit like the proverbial glove. I’m not sure how easy the Pangolin Merlins will be to find right now

Funny you should say that. A good mate of mine happened to offer me a spare set of these nacelles just before I saw this RFI post. I was a little unsure at first, but your great model convinced me to say yes and open my wallet. To be honest, the asking price was too good to knock back either way.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Funny you should say that. A good mate of mine happened to offer me a spare set of these nacelles just before I saw this RFI post. I was a little unsure at first, but your great model convinced me to say yes and open my wallet. To be honest, the asking price was too good to knock back either way.

Cheers.. Dave 

That’s great Dave. You won’t regret it when you come to use them. 

James

• Like 1

This is brilliant! The post war Mossies look so good and yours has captured that look perfectly.

I’ve got the Airfix NF30 and Freightdog decals in the stash, I’m hoping it turns out like this. Will I need to change anything to make an NF36 out of it?

Thanks @Lord Riot

I think externally your pretty good oob with that kit. 

The NF36 used AI MKX radar. I’m not sure if that’s the same as the NF30 so you may have a bit of scratch building in the cockpit. It’s also worth checking the positions of the various aerials for the different marks.

The only other thing which I tried to address but didn’t in the end is the bulge on the canopy on the operators side. Paragon used to make a vac form replacement for this but it’s long gone.

From doing the research for this build it does seem to be the replacement canopies with their various bulges and blisters that are the tricky bit for late mark mosquitoes. 

HTH

James

• Thanks 1

Great looking (if you ignore the nose) Mosquito.  The weathering is not too much as you expressed concern in your post.  I do have a question, though.  There is weathering of the aircraft, but as far as exhaust staining and/or weapon discharge there is nothing there.  Was this intentional, in that maybe a good ground crew that cleaned the aircraft after every flight?  Anyway, thanks for sharing this wonderful build.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Great looking (if you ignore the nose) Mosquito.  The weathering is not too much as you expressed concern in your post.  I do have a question, though.  There is weathering of the aircraft, but as far as exhaust staining and/or weapon discharge there is nothing there.  Was this intentional, in that maybe a good ground crew that cleaned the aircraft after every flight?  Anyway, thanks for sharing this wonderful build.

Thanks for the kind comments George. I know it’s like putting a great big nose onto your favourite super model!

As far as weathering goes I wanted a bit of wear and tear as by buy 1951 this a/c would likely have been at 3 or 4 years old (that’s a slight guess) but would have likely seen it’s fair share of use. But I’m pleased you don’t think it’s too much. 

Re the exhaust staining. Photos really didn’t show that much staining. Weather the great big shrouds have something to do with this or as you say the ground crew were cleaning it regularly I’m not sure.

HTH, thanks again. 

James

• Like 1

It’s a great looking Mossie (despite that nose) and like others I really like the weathering on it.

The only thing for me is this:

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

As far as weathering goes I wanted a bit of wear and tear as by 1951 this a/c would likely have been at 3 or 4 years old (that’s a slight guess) but would have likely seen it’s fair share of use. But I’m pleased you don’t think it’s too much. 

when I’ve looked, far from being 3 or 4 years old in 1951, RL147 crashed and was written off on 8th March 1948! 🤔 😂

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, LimaOperator said:

It’s a great looking Mossie (despite that nose) and like others I really like the weathering on it.

The only thing for me is this:

when I’ve looked, far from being 3 or 4 years old in 1951, RL147 crashed and was written off on 8th March 1948! 🤔 😂

OMG you’re right. I worked from the decal sheet and I found photos in my books of RL148. Obviously the the next a/c off the production line. Well I can’t change it now so I guess this makes it Mossie WHIF!

Thanks for the info.