D3A1 Val Midway

Can't argue with previous comments!  That is superb .... the paint, wear and weathering is realistic.

I do like the display ... nicely presented! 👌 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Oh yes buddy. What a beautiful , realistic result. The first pic is the original, right? The weathering looks fantastic, especially on the top of the wings. Never saw this technique before…..mild oil canning effect. Never heard before…. Have to read about it. Looks awesome…

Thx for sharing 

Andy 

Like Billn53, I am interested in how you did the oil canning effect?  The finish of this kit and its build is just fantastic.  I, like the others above, thought the first picture was of the real thing for comparison with your kit build.  Just great overall.  Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, billn53 said:

Yes, as Andy above mentioned, I've not seen oil canning done on an aircraft model before (ships, yes. airplanes, no.). Briefly, what was your technique?

Thank you for your comment. I use a #10 blade to scrape were I want the effect. Then smooth out with wet /dry sand paper. Hope this helps.

Rod

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, billn53 said:

Yes, as Andy above mentioned, I've not seen oil canning done on an aircraft model before (ships, yes. airplanes, no.). Briefly, what was your technique?

Thank you for your comment. I use a #10 blade to scrape were I want the effect. Then smooth out with wet /dry sand paper. Hope this helps.

Rod

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:06 AM, Andy Dyck said:

Oh yes buddy. What a beautiful , realistic result. The first pic is the original, right? The weathering looks fantastic, especially on the top of the wings. Never saw this technique before…..mild oil canning effect. Never heard before…. Have to read about it. Looks awesome…

Thx for sharing

Andy 

Andy,

Thank you for your comment. If you look above this post I put in on how I do stress skin. Weathering was done with multiple layers of water colors. It is time consuming. In truth I am not all that happy with how this one came out. I think I got a little preoccupied with the build I am working on now (1/32 TBD).  Here are a couple of pics of the WIP. Hope this finds you well.

Rod

WIP 9 WIP 8 WIP 6 WIP 2

• Like 6

7 hours ago, phillip1 said:

Rob-Your Val is truly beautiful!  One of my favorite aircraft and you certainly did it justice.  I love the scheme and markings you chose.  The carrier deck base is outstanding too!

Phillip1

Thank you Phillip. Much appreciated.

Rod