Pz kpfw IV ausf D – Tamiya 1/35 old-school

Hi All, here’s my latest (unusually quick) OOB 70’s old school Tamiya build. I had an absolute blast on this and everything went fine until the last knockings. I tried hairspray followed by a thin coat of Tamiya buff as the first stage of the dirt weathering. Unfortunately (and I’m not sure why) the hairspray went white; perhaps the Klear coat underneath reacted(?) As a result, the weathering is a bit err, heavy. I also noticed that the sprockets drifted a bit out of line, meaning the tracks are a bit squiffy at the front. I was pretty sure I fixed them together correctly, but it’s something to watch if you tackle this otherwise simple kit. 

As I say, it was pretty much completely out of the box – rubber tracks, kit figures etc. The only things I changed were to add a bit of fender damage, drill out the machine guns and the headlights – Molotow liquid chrome refill paint followed by drops of gorilla clear glue. It was really nice to get progress quickly. I know there are issues with this kit, but not having every internal component and thanks to Tamiya's clever engineering it was great fun - and it looks like a panzer IV so I'm happy.

Weathering is oil paints, ground up pastels and a bit of graphite. I tried fixing the mud pastels using white-spirit wash mixes of burnt umber and Naples yellow to get a bit of colour variation and I think it worked pretty well.

This was a lovely distraction, and completed in record time for me, but I really need to knuckle down and get my scratchbuild back on track. There again, I do have another old school Sherman in my stash (such as it is)........hmmm.

53278320392_db22e06fa0_k.jpg

53279503788_4cfaffe9a7_k.jpg

53279564519_ae9915714f_k.jpg

53279563794_e336fc120f_k.jpg

53279563694_20a7a5ab71_k.jpg

53279209731_33db6b107e_k.jpg

53279673570_18a311811b_k.jpg

53279498993_4ac998af19_k.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Old school kit ..... superbly presented! 👌

The minor bits such as the sprockets don't stand out and are only obvious to my eye because you mentioned them! 

The weathering is good .... not too much, but enough to represent some heavy use.

Keith 😁