WW2 Twins GB Chat

Well, @JOCKNEY (and @Enzo the Magnificent), I'm going to claim the technicality that the and was describing the two I have built already, but if they both get through the bunfight I'll commit to attempting to complete an axis AND an allied twin 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When we began proposing our separate Twins GB:s with James @81-er we discussed about an option, should the Bunfight seem again very crowded as it now does, to merge these into one WW2 Twins Mega GB. Now what do You good people in BM GB massive say about it? Would four months (+2 a week extension) suffice to build one of both for those who had intended to participate in both separate Twin GB:s?

Let's not make a POLL about it, but react with "Like" if you support the merger and "Sad" if you don't. Thank you, James & V-P

P.S. @Enzo the Magnificent did I just make a BM record in asking for an extension? The GB:s aren't even in a Bunfight yet :rofl2:

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

P.S. @Enzo the Magnificent did I just make a BM record in asking for an extension? The GB:s aren't even in a Bunfight yet :rofl2:

I think you did.  :lol:  But it seems to be a reasonable course of action.  We gave the Go Large GB a longer period than usual.  I see no reason why we can't do the same for GBs where the expectation is to build more than one model.   I know that there are some maniacs around who build half a dozen or so in a GB, but that's their choice.  :lol:  

• Thanks 3

Right folks, with the Bunfight as busy as it is, VP & I have been discussing the option of combining the two twins builds into one WW2 Twins Mega GB. Please have a nose at the link below and let us know what you think

James

• Like 4

Right folks, with the Bunfight as busy as it is, VP & I have been discussing the option of combining the two twins builds into one WW2 Twins Mega GB. Please have a nose at the link below and let us know what you think

James

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I think you did.  :lol:  But it seems to be a reasonable course of action.  We gave the Go Large GB a longer period than usual.  I see no reason why we can't do the same for GBs where the expectation is to build more than one model.   I know that there are some maniacs around who build half a dozen or so in a GB, but that's their choice.  :lol:  

Thank you, Enzo :D 

Sounds like an interesting concept.  One problem I have is that I build in 1/32 - or rather start in 1/32.  Whether it gets finished is a whole different matter.  So I was wondering about the time frames too.  I certainly wouldn't get 2 1/32 models done in the normal time frame.  All the more so if the subjects are "twins" which are inevitably just bigger anyway.

An option is to do what I usually do and be a fellow traveller in the shadows, lurking happy in the knowledge there is no finish line pressures and enjoying watching real modellers do their stuff.  It has me thinking though.  Would different stop lines be an idea or probably just be an over unnecessary and time consuming complication?

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Sounds like an interesting concept.  One problem I have is that I build in 1/32 - or rather start in 1/32.  Whether it gets finished is a whole different matter.  So I was wondering about the time frames too.  I certainly wouldn't get 2 1/32 models done in the normal time frame.  All the more so if the subjects are "twins" which are inevitably just bigger anyway.

An option is to do what I usually do and be a fellow traveller in the shadows, lurking happy in the knowledge there is no finish line pressures and enjoying watching real modellers do their stuff.  It has me thinking though.  Would different stop lines be an idea or probably just be an over unnecessary and time consuming complication?

How about implementing this rule, especially regarding the large scale builds?

"While there is the traditional 25% rule with regard to how far progressed any project is at the start of GBs, let's treat this as an optional guideline rather than a rule. Better to get a completed model on display than another stalled project on the shelf of shame. All we ask is that you post the completion photos in the Inspiration Gallery rather than the main Gallery thread."

Actually even the <25% headstart would help considerably, if used up to its full potential. V-P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Would different stop lines be an idea or probably just be an over unnecessary and time consuming complication?

To be honest, the administration of that would be a bit of a nightmare.  Suppose we had one end date for 1/72 and 1/48 with another for 1/32 and above.  There would always be pressure to continually extend the smaller scale deadline and eventually they would just end at the same time.  We also have to consider the number of GBs running concurrently.  As it stands there are quite a few weeks next year where we have eight or nine running concurrently.   Extend a GB too much and we will end up with double figures.  I would rather not do that.

However, as we discussed earlier, tagging an extra couple of weeks onto this one seems feasible.

@JohnT, I completely see your dilemma there. I'll be honest and say I have a pretty poor track record of actually finishing builds by the end of the GB, but I like joining in for the fun of building something along a theme with other members, and the encouragement that comes with it. One thought I did have earlier is there’s also the D-day build happening next year, so there could be scope for those who might struggle to get two builds completed within our timeframe to still build their second build if it fell within the boundaries of that GB?

James

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

To be honest, the administration of that would be a bit of a nightmare.  Suppose we had one end date for 1/72 and 1/48 with another for 1/32 and above.  There would always be pressure to continually extend the smaller scale deadline and eventually they would just end at the same time.  We also have to consider the number of GBs running concurrently.  As it stands there are quite a few weeks next year where we have eight or nine running concurrently.   Extend a GB too much and we will end up with double figures.  I would rather not do that.

However, as we discussed earlier, tagging an extra couple of weeks onto this one seems feasible.

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

@JohnT, I completely see your dilemma there. I'll be honest and say I have a pretty poor track record of actually finishing builds by the end of the GB, but I like joining in for the fun of building something along a theme with other members, and the encouragement that comes with it. One thought I did have earlier is there’s also the D-day build happening next year, so there could be scope for those who might struggle to get two builds completed within our timeframe to still build their second build if it fell within the boundaries of that GB?

James

@Enzo the Magnificent  I suspect you had picked up my own doubts on practicality when I was posting so I had rather anticipated that my musings were a non starter for the very good reasons you set out.  I can still "lurk" along without the pressure of a deadline anyway !

@81-er Not a bad idea but perhaps it might require to be done informally  - outside troubling the mods and poor Enzo who has enough on his plate.  What I mean is you do the first one in the twins build and technically fail to complete but then when the D-Day one comes round you mention "and here is a second one I failed to complete earlier" sort of thing?  That way @Enzo the Magnificent doesn't have to tinker about with dates etc.

I have no idea how @Tolga ULGUR manages to produce such great 1/32 models with the frequency he does.  Very impressive build rates and a joy to see them.  For me work, family demands and life generally gets in the way all the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, I meant it informally. More as "I'd planned to build these two models next year, and I still can", and still over two GB's. Just not quite the two originally planned

James

• Like 2