WW2 Twins GB Chat

2 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

You're still not coming, sweetheart.

That's probably best.  It will give everyone a chance to talk about me behind my back which is, of course, the polite way of doing things.  :bleh:  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

OK, newbie question. 

Can I do one model in 2 group builds?   My intended for this is an old Airfix Henschel Hs129.  But it's also a perfect fit for the Classic Airfix GB as well?

Rob

I'm going to throw this one over to @Enzo the Magnificent as the sage and learned master of the group builds

James

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr91 said:

OK, newbie question. 

Can I do one model in 2 group builds?   My intended for this is an old Airfix Henschel Hs129.  But it's also a perfect fit for the Classic Airfix GB as well?

Rob

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

I'm going to throw this one over to @Enzo the Magnificent as the sage and learned master of the group builds

James

I will submit this as it’s been asked more than once. Maybe Enzo could place this thread into a FAQ section ? 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I will submit this as it’s been asked more than once. Maybe Enzo could place this thread into a FAQ section ? 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.  Got it. 

Hadn't thought of the logistics of both maintaining double wips but also that it would only be possible if the GBs were running at the same time.

I'll keep things simple (fits with my brain size!) and not double up.  :giggle:

cheers

Rob

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

...and then suddenly, out of the blue, came this announcement from Airfix which means I must build a Reichverteidigung Me 410 in this GB. Thank you, Airfix :yahoo:

I was intending to build the Italeri Me410, but I'll go for the Airfix one instead.

I wonder if I can convert it to an Me 210...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I was intending to build the Italeri Me410, but I'll go for the Airfix one instead.

Just read the Airfix workbench feature on this. Quoting that:

"If you know where to look, despite the similarities shared by the two aircraft, it isn't difficult to differentiate between a Messerschmitt Me 410 and its predecessor and with it, identifying an effective combat aircraft from an extremely flawed one. Looking at a side profile of the aircraft, the Me 410 has a slightly taller and noticeably longer fuselage, with lengthened, more refined engine nacelles housing the new and more powerful Daimler Benz DB 603 engines.

These modifications alone gave the aircraft a more elegant appearance, if also highlighting its potential as an effective combat aircraft. The instability issues which blighted its predecessor were rectified by redesigning the wing shape and incorporating automatic leading edge slat technology, to give the aircraft much better low speed handling qualities. The wing of the Me 210 featured two different leading edge sweep angles, with a 6 degree sweep inboard of the engines and 12.6 degree sweep outboard, however, the Me 410 wing design did away with this, maintaining a constant 5.5 degree sweep across the length of the leading edge."

If you want to backdate it, tell us in advance so I know to get enough :popcorn: to watch it! :giggle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Just crash it, that's what happened to most of the 210 's :whistle:

• Haha 6

Having seen both the only surviving 410 on public display AND the new Airfix model up close I can confirm that it's a very, very good model indeed!

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Having seen both the only surviving 410 on public display AND the new Airfix model up close I can confirm that it's a very, very good model indeed!

James

Where does the surviving 410 live James?

Just now, 81-er said:

James

Oh dear, since I took a look at that Xtradecal sheet I'm now afraid this won't end with just the one I ordered today :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Where does the surviving 410 live James?

Cosford, which is handily just down the road from Telford, so I popped in for a look on my way up. The only other one is in storage in the US.

20 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh dear, since I took a look at that Xtradecal sheet I'm now afraid this won't end with just the one I ordered today :winkgrin:

I'm amazed that you only ordered one to start with :laugh: I'm also slightly surprised that having LIDAR scanned the Cosford example, it's not in the kit schemes. There's an aircraft with the same codes, but it's the big gun-armed one and has a different Werk No. to the Cosford example (I took photos while I was there).

James

• Thanks 2

As a matter of interest, would the He 177 be considered acceptable for this GB - it has two engine nacelles but the engines are of course made up of two "bolted together", but then the "double block" engine was considered to be a single unit?

Pete

The two "bolted together" could not operate individually, so the He.177 has to count as a twin.  Much as the Manchester was powered by two Vultures, each of which was made up of two Kestrels "bolted together".  The term does hide a considerable amount of engineering in both cases.

• Haha 1

Hi @PeterB, this one was raised earlier, and it was agreed to set the eligiblity conditions as any aircraft using two propellers or two jet engines, so you can indeed build an He-177 :)

James (also reminded he has an He-177 in the stash)

• Like 1

So that gives me a B-25, Hs 129 and He 177 as possible builds, though the 177 may go in the Classic Airfix GB!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

@Enzo the Magnificent please re-move this one to the Future GB:s, maybe this and the Allied Twins threads should, if they only could, be merged? Thanks a million anyway for herding us 😸 😼

There is already a combined thread in Future GBs but I'll see what I can do about merging all three threads.

• Thanks 3