The Scorpion King. 1/48 AMT P-40K 64th FS/57th FG Tunisia 1943. Finished!

On 10/21/2023 at 4:20 PM, modelling minion said:

Thanks Alan, though I think you're being far too kind about my hand painting abilities.

I didn't recognise the skull, but the fez looks familiar :rofl2:

• Haha 3

Very happy to have lent you a hand with this build, Craig! The request to make the masks for the '1' and the '3' in the fuselage codes was welcome as it meant another chance to practice with my Silhouette Cutter. Sourcing the '3' was straightforward - I was able to make use of a downloadable font for the USAAF and size it to 12mm. The non-standard '1' was a different story. After my wife remarked that the long base of the '1' made it look like an upside 'T', I cobbled together a new version in PowerPoint by adding a small triangle shape to the top of a 'T' tipped onto its head. I could then import this fabricated '1' into the Silhouette software.

IMG_5578

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi Craig. Hope you are feeling a bit better? Sounds like you have been having a very busy time too. Fantastic work on this project though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm calling this one done, the final bits took a lot longer than I had hoped (don't they always) and there were the usual mistakes that needed rectifying such as snapping one of the aerial wires.

I added a couple of details to help improve the look of the model, the ring and bead sights on the front fuselage came from a very old Eduard set and I added brake lines to the undercarriage legs;

spacer.png

P-40's can have a bewildering variety aerial wires, some of which would have made running to the aircraft to scramble extremely dangerous! After checking as many pictures as I could find of this aircraft and others in the unit I came to the conclusion that it had 3 wires that ran from the tail with one going to each wingtip and the other going to the rear fuselage, I made these from a strand of Mrs. Minion's hair fixed to the wing or fuselage with a blob of sprue goo and then stretched to the tail and held with gel super glue and I think they look okay, I hasten to add that I painted them silver!

Enough of my ramblings, here are some pictures of the finished model and I shall post more in the gallery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have to say that I have enjoyed this kit, it certainly isn't anything like as detailed as more modern kits but it certainly looks like a P-40 to me and it has made me want to build more even after I have finished the other two for this GB, though I will wait to see what Eduard comes up with for their releases next year before buying any more.

A huge thank you to Paul @Dansk for coming up with the idea for this GB in the first place and to all of you who have popped in and followed this build (and my others) or simply pressed the like button on some of my posts, your support is very much appreciated and what makes this forum such a great place, and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 17

• modelling minion changed the title to The Scorpion King. 1/48 AMT P-40K 64th FS/57th FG Tunisia 1943. Finished!
6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A wonderful job there Craig, so many bits to pick out as being superbly done but the Scorpion is what does it for me, you made a cracking job of that. 👍 

Steve.

Thanks Steve, very glad that you like her, its always a pleasure to have you follow a build.

3 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Fantastic result! I've already expressed my very positive opinion of your hand painted markings, but the use of wife hair for antennae is really admirable!

Thanks Alan, the hair actually works quite well as its thin but quite strong and I have an endless supply thats free!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

it has made me want to build more even after I have finished the other two for this GB

I can see why! Beautiful result Craig. Looks like it has just taxied in from a mission. Built with great skill and care.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That looks fantastic mate, well done! :D I'll have to remember the hair trick, I've got plenty of that to use

James

Thanks James, I really appreciate that mate, and yes you have a lot more hair than I do!

I think I've found a suitable base for her so you should be able to see her at Telford.

• Like 1

Missed the party Craig, but can admire the result. Looks fantastic! The freehand painting is great too. 

The hair antenna is something i did too on my Corsair: I noticed that when humidity changes a lot the hair extends or shrinks a bit, quite interesting to see. My wife‘s hair was more extreme in this behaviour than my daughter‘s hair, so I switched to daughter hair. Will also turn grey much later 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2