IJN Zuiho class 1/350 scratchbuild

Hi all. My first topic on this site, a 1/350 scale Zuiho-class aircraft carrier scratch build.

Haven't decided yet whether it will be Shoho or Zuiho. I'm using a Hasegawa Zuiho 1/700 as reference and an Angraf paper model as drawings.

I will use foamed polystyrene to make a framing, and polystyrene sheets for a shell plating.

First, build a slipway and keel:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by TU95MS16
  • Like 9

This will be a fascinating project, one day I'll summon the courage to scratch build something, thr class were interesting ships being one of Japan's cheat designs to get around the various treaties at the time, 

Look forward to seeing her come together 

Approaching the installation of rough shell plating:

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

It took a very long time to work with a knife and sandpaper, about a month. Final result of rough shell:

18.jpg

On top of the waterline there will be a finishing shell made of 0.5mm polystyrene

Edited by TU95MS16
  • Like 16

Gidday, that's an interesting way of scratch building a hull. I've only ever done one carrier, an Airfix kit of HMS Ark Royal in 1/600 scale, and I want to do more of them. I'll certainly be taking notes of your method here, if you don't mind. What you've done already is very good. Regards, Jeff.

In 1/350 scale that will be about 75cm ( 24 inches ) in length which should make for a nice easy to handle size - not to big but not too small and will make for a an impressive model when done.

Interesting technique,  filling in between the formers rather over. A lot of work but the model is starting to look like a ship's hull should. 

cheers, Graham

2 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Interesting technique,  filling in between the formers rather over. A lot of work but the model is starting to look like a ship's hull should. 

This is my first experience of building a ship from scratch, and yes, this method is rather wrong. It is better to make the shell plating with plastic sheet 1 mm thick. But, it would be necessary to heat the sheet in a bending(side\bottom) place with a hair dryer. I will try this on next project. I think it will be Ryujo.

Anyway, current state of hull is this:

20.jpg

22.jpg
21.jpg

Several days of putty and sanding.

Edited by TU95MS16
  • Like 13

19 minutes ago, TU95MS16 said:

By the way, what do you think the underwater part of the stern? Should it be more rounded than I did?

I really like your project and the construction technique is working well. I do not know this specific ship well, but I do know that much of what the Imperial Japanese Navy learned about naval architecture they learned from the British, so unless you have body form plans you trust which show otherwise, I think it is a reasonable assumption to think the shape of the hull would be similar to British designs.

Here are the cross sections for one of our Leander class cruisers with a similar keel and stern design. In most cases of British design, the stern is rounded here:

j9388.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, TU95MS16 said:

By the way, what do you think the underwater part of the stern? Should it be more rounded than I did?

Gidday, I don't know about this ship but to me that stern looks more like a destroyer's stern with that rather sharp edge.

And @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, did the Ajax have different sized screws like that drawing suggests?

14 hours ago, TU95MS16 said:

This is my first experience of building a ship from scratch, and yes, this method is rather wrong. It is better to make the shell plating with plastic sheet 1 mm thick. But, it would be necessary to heat the sheet in a bending(side\bottom) place with a hair dryer. I will try this on next project. I think it will be Ryujo.

For a first scratch build hull that is superb. It's not wrong if it worked, and the hull you've achieved looks very neat. Are you still going to sheath the hull in styrene sheeting? It looks very good to me as it is. And would you have to heat it? I've done two scratch built hulls recently, using styrene strips for the hull plating and they followed the hull curves nicely despite doing them cold. Admittedly the models were much smaller than yours (1/600 scale) and the strips were 0.5mm thick, not 1mm you said you were going to use.

And I repeat, your hull looks beautifully smooth.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Interesting technique,  filling in between the formers rather than over.

I thought that. I guess it has the advantage that you don't lose the shape (and dimensions) so carefully achieved in the bulkheads. The results are very good, aren't they?

• Like 2

On 21/07/2023 at 18:57, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Here are the cross sections for one of our Leander class cruisers with a similar keel and stern design. In most cases of British design, the stern is rounded here:

Thank you. I also thought about rounding the stern, and already prepared a knife and sandpaper :)

11 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Are you still going to sheath the hull in styrene sheeting? It looks very good to me as it is. And would you have to heat it?

No. On the last photos, the case is almost ready for priming and painting. Im used plastic on sides of hull, bottom is leveled with 2k putty, and final coat is spray putty from can. Just forgot to take a picture of the process. :) There are small irregularities left, I will level it with putty.

Edited by TU95MS16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

That does look good. I guess it will be a pre-war fit?

Not decided yet. By one side, Shoho is more famous as first sunked in carrier vs carrier battle, Zuiho is more factured with a more AA artillery, longer flight deck, and impressive camuflage scheme...

Edited by TU95MS16
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...