Aeroclub 1:48 Vulcan

Hi Tom!

Very nice progress on your build. She's such a big beauty! :o

On Friday I'll drop in on my mate's who's got the Icelandic Fine Art resin Vulcan so that I can take good pictures of the bomb bay and doors on his example.

6 hours ago, Hook said:

You just know someone is working on a 1/32nd one somewhere now. ;)

Hi Andre,

There used to be a 1/32 Vulcan kit some ten years back in time. Can't quite recall what brand (or medium) it was.

3 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Or even bigger than that. Massive Vulcan 😙

Nice, but I'm afraid I've suffered the too bulbous nose on that one :lol:

Cheers,

Igna

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Arguably the biggest Vulcan build I´ve ever seen. Hope you don´t have too much trouble assembling the wings. They look heavy. 👍

21 hours ago, Hook said:

You just know someone is working on a 1/32nd one somewhere now. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Cheers, chaps - appreciated. @bissyboat she certainly is a big girl, and handling it is now becoming somewhat tricky!

@Hook a 1/32 scale one would be amazing - the Heritage vac done a while back is on my list of must-haves one day but they are very hard to find. I keep looking…

@Pajarito pictures of the parts for the bomb bay would be very much appreciated - this area (and the wheel bays) is next on the agenda so any help would be great!

Here’s a couple of quick iPhone pics with the state of play at the moment - wings and tail are done - filled and sanded with success. I’ll get the decent camera out over the next day or two for some better shots. 

53303163909_a1c2383ebb_b.jpg

53303271210_0fd5386abd_b.jpg

53303271200_6e49b78d89_b.jpg

As you can see, it takes up most of the kitchen table!

More when there’s more…

All the best,

Tom

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

As you can see, it takes up most of the kitchen table!

:shocked: Are you going to be using it as a coffee table when it's finished?

James

• Haha 3

That's bringing back lots of memories, that is one of the earlier releases with the cream coloured resin, the later ones had green resin.

I must dig out Vulcan 001 for some inspiration for you, it's well overdue a refurb....

What scheme are you planning on ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

:shocked: Are you going to be using it as a coffee table when it's finished?

James

Ha! Now that’s not a bad idea. In fact, the wife was explaining to me earlier that the Vulcan is her favourite plane and therefore we have entered negotiations about there it’s going to be displayed when finished. Having it in the kitchen wouldn’t be ideal, but if all else fails… 😁

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

This is amazing, I’m so jealous!

I felt the same every time I saw one. Now finally have got my own grubby little hands on one at last!

2 hours ago, Paulaero said:

What scheme are you planning on ??

At the moment I’m very much leaning towards camouflage over light aircraft grey - my favourite scheme for the Vulcan. This can be done using the kit decals so I’m hoping they’ll still be useable when the time comes… 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Ha! Now that’s not a bad idea. In fact, the wife was explaining to me earlier that the Vulcan is her favourite plane and therefore we have entered negotiations about there it’s going to be displayed when finished. Having it in the kitchen wouldn’t be ideal, but if all else fails… 😁

All joking aside, I've actually designed a glass-topped coffee table that'll double as a display cabinet as I live in a 2-bed flat and space is at a premium. I'm hoping to get it built over the winter, which means I'll have some space to put some larger builds for next year.

James

• Like 4

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

Are you going to use the kit decals?

Would there be any aftermarket available? 😀

I’m hoping to, yes - well certainly the squadron badge for the tail. Roundels can be masked and sprayed if needs be - we’ll see when the time comes. 

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

All joking aside, I've actually designed a glass-topped coffee table that'll double as a display cabinet as I live in a 2-bed flat and space is at a premium. I'm hoping to get it built over the winter, which means I'll have some space to put some larger builds for next year.

James

Now that’s an idea…!

4 hours ago, kev67 said:

You'll be able to take loads of photos of the bomb bay at Cosford soon

Good point. I’ll make sure I pop in as usual on the way up to Telford. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

All joking aside, I've actually designed a glass-topped coffee table that'll double as a display cabinet

I did similar - bought a coffee table with an open frame and a glass top, then built my own display "cabinet" to fit into it. It only involved measuring, ordering the clear acrylic sheet cut to the correct sizes, then gluing them together!

Ian

• Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, tomprobert said:

@Pajarito pictures of the parts for the bomb bay would be very much appreciated - this area (and the wheel bays) is next on the agenda so any help would be great!

Hi Tom!

I was able to get the pics I promised for you. It was sort of a quickie because my mate's girlfriend must not have liked my dropping in on his house on so short notice. The bitterest of arguments between them started the minute I arrived so, in order to secure the pics, I just got the resin in my hands and began shooting out.

I even had to rush to the studio to fetch the ruler for reference 

These are the bomb bay doors looking aft

spacer.png

Bomb bay doors from above 

spacer.png

Bomb bay interior (forward up, aft down)

spacer.png

This is the bomb bay sides (port) Front is right.

spacer.png

Bomb bay interior looking forward

spacer.png

Bomb bay interior looking aft

spacer.png

Same pic of the bomb bay interior looking forward (guess I got nervous because I heard the storm was getting closer) 😄

spacer.png

This is the aft side of the bomb bay height

spacer.png

This is the forward bomb bay looking from the side height

spacer.png

Bomb bay doors length

spacer.png 

Bomb bay interior length

spacer.png

Bummer, you know that the cardboard you see below the bits was my mate's Aeroclub Vulcan kit (only fella in Argieland rejoicing in the bliss of having one example). My idea was to place the IFA bits over the Vulcan underside to see how the IFA parts fitted the Aeroclub kit.

Oh, but the bickering between spouses made that almost impossible. 

Hope they're of use to you. If I've got another chance when the spouses are cool, I'll try once again with the Vulcan kit. 😅

Cheers,

Igna

Edited by Pajarito
Typo
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 6:21 PM, bissyboat said:

Not by Bisto?

spacer.png

Bisto, nearly won the contract to build the Vulcan but under testing conditions, it was found they melted in the English summer rain!

• Haha 2

@Pajarito those pictures are really helpful - many thanks indeed. I've made a tentative start at adding the ribbing to the roof of the bay, and will hopefully make a start on the larger parts of the structure next. I return to the classroom after half term on Monday so things will certainly slow somewhat for a while...

All the best,

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

@Pajarito those pictures are really helpful - many thanks indeed. I've made a tentative start at adding the ribbing to the roof of the bay, and will hopefully make a start on the larger parts of the structure next. I return to the classroom after half term on Monday so things will certainly slow somewhat for a while...

Hola, Tom

Ah, you're quite welcome, my mate. Will see whether I can take some pics with the lower half of my fella's Aeroclub Vulcan kit lying below.

Hopefully, I learnt Mrs Marciano is to leave Buenos Aires in a fortnight in order to cast her vote in the south of the country. 😄  

Cheers,

Igna

• 4 weeks later...

My flabber is well and truly gasted…

I saw this on eBay and watched what happened:

53361318671_0f6af536d4_b.jpg

Admittedly it was absolutely mint but my word, someone wanted that badly! Now the question of whether it will get built…

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4