Ferrari 512 TR by fnick - Revell 1/24

Fnick

That looks a very nice job. I've only done the airbrush once before and didn't get as good a coat as that one. Should look good with the clear.

What I find really amazing is just how differnt the car looks without any black grilles on, it never occurred to me until I saw this just how much all that black grillage gives shape and character to the Testarossa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For a moment I thought you were doing "Barbie's dream Testarossa" when I saw the pink primer ;)

22 hours ago, Spiny said:

What I find really amazing is just how differnt the car looks without any black grilles on, it never occurred to me until I saw this just how much all that black grillage gives shape and character to the Testarossa.

Agreed, it looks really odd without the black bits.

But this is shaping up to be a cracking model, I'm enjoying the build.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

Barbie's dream Testarossa" when I saw the pink primer ;)

50 minutes ago, Anteater said:

Looked better in pink 😉

Haha! Well I do have a spare nearly complete tr kit with wheels missing and this one has spare wheels! So what's it going to be? Pink with  flower decals or chihuahua decals? 🤔🤣

Nick

• Haha 5

Yes I do agree that it does look weird without the black grills,etc. There's a few decals I need to put on before clear coating (I couldnt get metal decals or 3d decal replacements for those) Once the clear coat is on the next job will be to do all the black trim/grills/etc.

And before I forget thank you all for the kind comments. Always appreciated.

Nick

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

I've not been able to take advantage of the weather to start on the clear coat. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tomorrow lunchtime...

So I've been cracking on with trying to make the engine bay a bit more realistic.

First step was to try and replicate this

spacer.png

The kit has the connection box but no wires so here they are.

spacer.png

Next up was this little connector. I had to scratch build it 

spacer.png

Here are the results

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also drilled out the exhausts

spacer.png

And replaced the gear shift lever

spacer.png

spacer.png

So lots of little fiddly bits. Still a way to go as I keep finding cables and details that I am very tempted to try and replicate! 😄

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Fnick said:

I am very tempted to try and replicate! 😄

Go on, go on, go on....!! 🤣

Seriously that is some great detailing Nick, all looking very tidy!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Go on, go on, go on....!! 🤣

Don't worry Keith I will! 🙂 Down the rabbit hole I go!

Cheers, Nick 

• Haha 2

Afternoon all

Progress still continues. The connectors were wired up and glued in place. Fiddly little so and sos...😋 Think some slow drying super glue might be required to give myself a bit of time to position them. 

I also added another cable on the right hand side of the engine next to the air filter box. You can't see where it starts and finishes but it is just a bit more detail that is added very easily!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is to start making these connectors

spacer.png

And another set of merciless close up photos!

spacer.png

And with some colour. 

spacer.png

They are deliberately long so I can cut them to size once I have a better idea of how they are going to fit. The colours don't match exactly but they will do

I'm hoping they will blend in a bit more in situ and with some braided line attached to them!

Thanks for looking, Nick 

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

Clear coat is on. First time I used mr colour gx III super clear. I put down 5 coats. It's not very glossy but I am guessing that is more my technique/thinning mix rather than any issues with the clear itself. I thinned it down 1 part clear and 5 parts thinner. The last couple of coats were glossy when sprayed on but dried with a sheen. I'm hoping to get a bit more shine when I polish it up.

Here's the result

spacer.png

I'm pressing ahead with the next step which is masking for all the black trim. The front grill was fun as the lip of the grill is body colour so I had to do that in two stages.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rear should be easier but the side fins are going to be a challenge. I'd rather not try and paint them by hand of I can avoid it 

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Like 6

With the clear coat, if you thin it to much it dries off before it has a chance to level out and be glossy.

I find with these types of acrylic clear coats (Tamiya and Mr Color) it is best to thin them 1:1 i.e. 10ml of thinner and 10ml of clear coat.

then spray a couple of "mist" coats, then build up the gloss with heavier wet coats. also a larger needle size gives better results. I always use a 0.5mm for clear coat.

Keith 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith for the advice. As much as I hate to do it... Think I'm going to have to remove all the masking... 😭 and try a couple of less diluted coats...

Nick 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fnick said:

Thanks Keith for the advice. As much as I hate to do it... Think I'm going to have to remove all the masking... 😭 and try a couple of less diluted coats...

Nick 

I forgot to add that I use Lacquer thinner Tamiya or mister color levelling thinner.

• Thanks 1