Ferrari 512 TR by fnick - Revell 1/24

Fnick

13 hours ago, Fnick said:

I'm hoping to get a bit more shine when I polish it up.

You will. I very rarely get a good gloss shine out of the airbrush, but cutting the clear back by wet sanding it flat with a 2500 grit sanding sponge, then using the three Tamiya compounds gets me a really nice gloss (it might take a couple of applications of the compounds, but I like polishing! :) )

Keith

• Like 1

Morning all

So I tried polishing a section of the body to see how it would look. I went through three grits of the micromesh followed by the tamiya polishing compounds.

Starting point 

spacer.png

spacer.png

After micromesh

spacer.png

spacer.png

And after compounds

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far from perfect but good enough. I didn't know how much of a solide layer of super clear I had on so didn't want to push it too far and burn through...

Good experience and I'll certainly follow the dilution advice on the Lamborghini.

Thanks again to Keith and Keith for the advice!

Nick

• Like 6

When ever I've had this kind of masking to do in the past I've always used wider tape and the run along the edge/lip with a fresh scalpel blade.   The results of my technique can be described as variable at best.   I'll definitely be trying you way on the Honda City,  thanks for posting - Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a big improvement after all the polishing, this one is shaping up very well. You could also give it a rub over with some car or modelling wax when you've finished to make that shine even deeper.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments gents!

Andy I can't claim credit for that technique! I've just looked at far too many car modelling videos!😄

Spiny yep I plan to do that I have the tamiya model wax which works very well. I'll do that as a last step.

Cheers Nick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

So it was all ready...

spacer.png

And I sprayed all the grills window rubbers etc...

Took the masking off...

spacer.png

🥺😭

As you can imagine really gutted and annoyed. I thought I had been careful with the masking tape but clearly not 🤬.

I did try and remove it with x20a thinner, cotton buds and cocktail sticks...

spacer.png

More 🥺😭...

As you can see not great. It looks as though the paint has sunk into the clear so it just hasn't been completely removed. Even if it had I would have had to mask off the grills,rubbers etc and put some more clear on it with no guarantee as to the results.

Just think it this point it's back to square 1 body wise. I'll dig out the body I have from my spare kit to see what that looks like. I'd rather avoid having to strip this one if I can.

So yeah not a great update but then again these are first world problems!

I can at least progress with the interior and the engine.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

• Sad 9

Very unfortunate result ☹️

I've started brush painting a barrier of clear varnish on to the masking tape borders to try minimise the amount of bleed I was getting.

Possibly, for future efforts, if you paint the black before putting the full body clear coat on, it would be easier to rescue such a problem, but then it means the black also gets varnished and you riak lifting body colour paint with the masking. I guess it's down to which set of problems you'd rather have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a shame Nick, hope the 'spare' body is useable.

9 minutes ago, kiseca said:

I've started brush painting a barrier of clear varnish on to the masking tape borders to try minimise the amount of bleed I was getting.

Something I always try to remember to do as well - though I often forget!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks gents

The spare body is usable Keith so that is good. 

Thanks for the tip Kiseca. I think I will still paint, clear coat and then do the trim. What I will do though is hand paint it. That will certainly avoid the bleed through on such a scale...

Nick

• Like 2

That's a frustrating sight to see . I use the end of a paint brush handle to roll down edges of masking tape , a tip for you to try . I've found no matter how much masking you put on , you always get some bleed through  . Depending on how steady your painting hand is why not try brush painting the window rubbers ? I've even now started to do them with a black sharpie pen . It would also save time and expense on masking tape ! 

Gary . 

• Thanks 1

Oh dear.  That’s sad.  I usually end up with a little bit of bleed; I usually try to lay the black on as dry and little thinned as far as possible to avoid, more usually the paint finds gaps in odd nooks and crannies in the masking!  Number one rule I’ve found is to try to minimize the number of separate pieces of tape surrounding an area to be painted as each joint is a potential capillary action route for paint - the light coat of brushed clear can help with this but I’ve had this clear then migrate down the capillary so a (slightly easier) clean up can still be required.

Alternatively I’ve hand brushed citadel Matt Black having only masked locally; not as slick looking but less prone to disaster!

On a couple of cars I just did the black before glossing / clear coat as it’s much easier to blow in matching repairs before clear. My 40 Ford Coupe probably got touched in around 20% of the bodywork where black or chrome had bled or over sprayed.  If there are a lot of decal like a competition car I’ll also use the black etc before clear method as I do not want masking tape anywhere near decals - YouTube seems full of people who can do this successfully but it seems 2k is the vital ingredient but I don’t want to go down that route.

Another reason for black etc first  is I use acrylic clear coat ( either W&N or Tam X-22) but with Tam X-20A; either of these take quite a few coats to get a reasonable shine, and then the body left for a week or two before it feels properly hard!  That’s when the rest of the car gets built (I hope).

Hope this helps

Cheers

Will

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the comments and tips.

Masking and hand painting will be the way forward. For some areas I might use the messed up body to see if using a large masking tape following by cutting out around with a sharp blade is easier/better. I can then try to hand paint to see what if any bleed through I get.

Looking on the bright side this also gives me a chance to put down the clear hopefully with a better finish as I will try thinning it down far less.

Nick 

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 2

Ouch, that's a hard blow...

I somehow doubt your masking is at much fault, it looks more like the black has reacted with the clear coat allowing it to escape under the tape, or something like that. I can't remember seeing something quite like this. I'm not very familiar with the paint and clear you used, but myself I'm a little scared by any clear coat that is 1K, especially when adding more paint on top of it.

I hope you can find a rescue. Stripping and starting over could hopefully work.

• Thanks 1

That's a shame as it was looking very good beforehand. I've never dared to try airbrushing the window rubbers, and this hasn't encouraged me to deviate from the masking and/or hand brushing method.

One thing I have done when doing a white car with black rubbers and lots of decals was to put the black on before the clear - that way if you get it going too far you can remove the black without damaging the clear coat as it's not applied yet. Then when you have the clear coat on, you can carefully apply (by hand) matt clear over the black - any mistakes there will be virtually invisible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you're experiencing troubles! But they often masquerade as learning opportunities🤔.

I recently had a lot of masking to do for chrome on a Cadillac. Where there was a lot of overlap, I took a fine brush and applied thinned liquid mask to the joins. Seemed to work as desired, a side benefit was getting some rounded ends to tapers, rather than a point.

Have you tried wet sanding the color coat with 3000 to 4000 grit before the clear? Then 2 coats of 1clear:1thinner followed up with a couple at 1:2 ratio - just let it dry till you smell  nothing on the body.

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all again for the comments and suggestions.

Work on the spare body will start this weekend and hopefully next week I'll be able to spray the primer and you never know maybe even a bit of colour!

Nick

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fnick said:

It's not the first car body I'll have to redo and it wont be the last!

Snap! In fact the number of bodies that I haven't stripped and repainted is way outnumbered by those that I have....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 1

And back to the Barbie stage !

spacer.png

Much happier with the primer compared to the first attempt. This "practice practice practice" thing does help! 😄

Hopefully I can put the colour coats down over today and tomorrow lunchtime. If I can then get the clear done next week I'll be please with that. That will be all necessary spraying done for this one.

Nick

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Fnick said:

Hopefully I can put the colour coats down over today and tomorrow lunchtime.

Just gloss coat that Nick, it would look great. Well, different anyway....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Just gloss coat that Nick, it would look great. Well, different anyway....!! 🤣

Keith

It wouldn't be without precedent either. I can find at least two pink real ones online. And a pink Enzo! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1