36 Sqn Vickers Vildebeest MkIII, Singapore 1936

Ray S

Hello all,

Back in October I was asked to build the Vickers Vildebeest by a friend at my local Model Club for his friend whose father had flown the Vildebeest in Singapore pre-WWII. He asked me to do the 36 Squadron machine, in the silver dope finish. I was a little hesitant at first (well, for about a second or so) before I said that I would have a go. 

I have built a few limited run kits, including some by Special Hobby, and plenty of vacform biplanes in the past so what could go wrong? Anyway, after asking for advice in the Inter War aviation section here, and having had a fair degree of help from the BM massif during the build here...

... it is now finished. There are one or two errors in the build, and I had to contend with an apparently warped trailing edge to the upper wing, but I think the end result is very much a Vildebeest. I hope the recipient likes it!

Here is the result:

DSCN8204

DSCN8205

DSCN8206

DSCN8208

DSCN8209 (2)

DSCN8210

DSCN8211

DSCN8212

DSCN8213 (2)

DSCN8214

I primed the model with Tamiya Light Grey primer, used that as the 'Cerrux Grey' and then resprayed with Tamiya Aluminium, both straight from the cans, followed by a brush coat (or two) of Humbrol enamel matt varnish. The torpedo yellow was brush painted with ColourCoats Yellow, thinned with their Naphtha thinner. The transfers behaved brilliantly. Rigging between the wings was InfiniModels Fine Rigging Thread (70 denier, 0.091mm) and the aerial wires were AmmoMig Rigging Thread, 0.02mm.

Thanks for looking, all the best,

Ray

• Like 32

Thank you all for the very kind comments, views and 'likes'.

It was a very enjoyable kit to build, I know I encountered a 'hitch' or two, some self-inflicted, but I really do like a challenge, and knew what was coming when I said 'yes' to building the kit. It was one I had wanted to do anyway since I saw a review in the SAMI magazine from 2011, so I finally satisfied that too.

Thanks again, all very much appreciated!

Ray

• Like 1