Tyrrell 006 1/20 Ace Models

Malc2

Thanks both, motivation goes in fits and starts and also depends on what else is happening - in this case not a lot!

Nick - I ought to mention I just bought the Meng nuts and bolts sets A and B and they are great, can't recommend them enough for what you and I are doing.

Werner, apologies for the language mash up!

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1

Morning fellow plastic bashers!

Time for another update

Rear brake ducts, this is what Hiro thinks they should look like and having perused my image collection, I am inclined to agree.
MFH-instruction-rear-ducts-01.jpg

This is what ya get in the kit
IMG-6257.jpg

So I sliced up a piece of Ureol. I could have plunge moulded them, but that’s a right faf.

Prototype in the middle to check proportions, outer two are the blanks
IMG-6284.jpg

Finished parts with the prototype on the left

IMG-6285.jpg

So when I said all the body needed was another coat of primer, well not just yet.

Holding the ducts in place confirmed something else I had vaguely been aware of since I made the rear roll bar, the rear deck is too short. It should cover the rear roll bar, the mounts of which extend up to support the rear body and currently it was a bit short, holding the brake ducts in position confirmed my fears, as they were miles away from the rear deck edge.

I extended the deck by 5mm and added some strengthening tabs underneath and a skim of filler on the top.
IMG-6286.jpg

Top view prior to sanding the filler.
IMG-6287.jpg

So looking at that view above, there is only one more thing tickling my OCD that remains to try and improve, and that is the louvers on the rear deck. They are misshapen uneven and I plain don’t like ‘em.

LHS
IMG-6300.jpg

RHS is no better

IMG-6301.jpg

Previously I had made several attempts to reproduce them with Litho plate but with not much success. I need 17 parallel louvers at 1.2mm pitch.

IMG-6311.jpg

So I started to look at the delightful ICM 1/35 1920s and 1930s trucks which have parallel louvers along the bonnet sides, the thinking was if that the pitch was correct, I could cut out and use a section. So I needed to find and look at a selection of ICM kits to see if they were suitable, but a trip to the LHS is out until the foreseeable future, and I can’t wait that long, so I phoned my mate and he said he had a built 1/24 Tamiya Lancia Stratos with bonnet louvers that were the right pitch.

Two problems, the Lancia louvers were innys rather than outies and potentially worse, as it’s the first model he made it had a high sentimental value, so clearly I could not cut it up…..

So he agreed I could borrow the model - provided I did not damage it.

So having taken socially distanced delivery, and having looked at it in detail, an idea formed that I could take a sort of brass rubbing and use that.

So you need a piece of one of these
IMG-6303.jpg

Plus the donor Stratos
IMG-6304.jpg

Here they are in all their inny magnificence
IMG-6305.jpg

Cut a strip off the baking tray, hold in place and rub away with a pointy stick

IMG-6306.jpg

After making some duff ones and two good ones, hey presto, 100% better – whaddaya think? At this point I was confident enough to sand off the original louvers.

IMG-6308.jpg

Fill the back of the finished piece with 5min epoxy, stick em in place and Bonjour mon Oncle Bob.
IMG-6310.jpg

Quietly pleased with that.

Cheers Kevin, could not have done it without you!

Stratos returned intact and undamaged.

Thanks for looking

Comments welcome!

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
photo mix up
  • Like 9

Hi Malc, 

Sorry about the late reply - quite a nice course in body work going on here!  the louvers look the part too - in fact, much better than some of the etch versions out there - great idea and application. Oh, and thanks for the tip on the Meng resin bolts - I'll order a set or two!  

Cheers

Nick 

Thanks all.

Nick, I have been using my Meng nuts already and it beats making them from hex rod. I figured they were so cheap I could not go wrong, but they are brilliant and just what I wanted. For ages I considered getting the RP Toolz hex punch set, glad I waited!

M.

G’day me hearties.

Not much to report this week, I have been a bit distracted by another temptress...........

The next job I had been putting off was making the mirror supports, each mirror is supported with three 0.5mm pieces of piano wire. Fiddly but worked out. Drilling all the holes at approx the right angle in each mirror and the cockpit was not easy.

Still some trimming to do on the LH support.
IMG-6312.jpg
IMG-6313.jpg

Bagged ready for post paint fitting.

IMG-6315.jpg

I really can’t think of anything else I need to make or modify, so all that remains is to slap on one more layer primer then a top coat of Tyrrell blue then post it in RFI…….

Oh wait……

There is more?

Oh yes.

Problem is I filled the holes in the rear wing that I used for the wire handle with the wing support brackets, so how am I going to hold it now while applying the top coat……..?

I also recently discovered that there are a couple of wing flap adjusting brackets on the underside of the rear wing, so they were added.

Tape to accurately locate the brackets and keep the epoxy where its wanted.
IMG-6417.jpg

Tape removed immediately while the glue is still liquid.
IMG-6418.jpg

Parts were then cut roughly to shape with sprue cutters and final sanded to shape after glue had set as they were too small to easily hold in my fat fingers.

So now the body is really ready for paint – I think…..perhaps.

Thanks for looking

Comments welcome!

Malc.

• Like 7

Thanks Gents.

Evenin' All.

Time for another update.

Paint, well good/bad news…….

Seat went well, one fish eye appeared, I was a bit surprised as I thought the primer would isolate from the effects of any silicone in the resin.
IMG-6427.jpg

Body went OKish, more fish eyes appeared in the most inaccessible area - the front radiator vents.

The finish is direct from the can.
IMG-6428.jpg

Radiator vents

IMG-6429.jpg
Rear wing, well no fish eyes, but DISASTER. it fell off the mounting stick on to the floor. Serves me right, I usually use bluetac, but this time for some brain fade reason I used double sided tape.

Floor fur in the paint
IMG-6430.jpg

The plan was to spray the wing apart from the outside of one end plate, let it dry and then mask the rest and finish the end plate, this worked well on the Lotus……..

Finger prints from where I picked it up.
IMG-6431.jpg

Time to leave it all for a few days, let the disappointment fade and come back with a fresh outlook.

On with the reserve model! Which in contrast is going quite well despite some major dissection and reassembly of expensive resin castings.

Malc.

• Sad 1

I’m also not into the F1 kit thing, but you are doing some great things with, or better, to this kit.

Thanks for sharing all this with us.

• 5 months later...

Winter is coming! Well George RR Martin seems to think so…….

So 8 pages back and 6 months since the last post. Time for an update. I also discovered the purpose of the orange dot/star by the title of each thread. Who knew? Its so useful!

So what have I been up to you might ask?

Put new hip and ridge tiles on the roof on my parents house

Put a new front road spring on the Mondeo, fixed the starter motor, then sold it.

Put a new roof on my garden shed

Made some new window frames

Painted a lot of wood work inside the house

Oh and some of this
IMG-6805.jpg

Micro steps, I was so close to putting the whole thing in paint stripper, but the thought of redoing all the filler was too daunting…… So a bit of sanding and spraying, more sanding and spraying, and more sanding and spraying and I’m calling it good enough!

IMG-6806.jpg

The airbox has been flatted back to represent the rough outer surface, Ken Tyrrell figured the inside should be smooth as possible for best air flow to the engine, so the part was made on a male mould and the outside left rough.

Put the black on the front and sides in three separate jobs, it made the masking easier and left somewhere to hold the model while spraying it.

Also added some BMF to the cockpit seat to represent the bare metal tub.

IMG-6810.jpg

Hopefully not so long before the next update!

TTFN

Malc.

• Like 6

Tally Ho chaps.

Todays progress, cockpit almost there, just need to finish the seat belts.
IMG-6811.jpg

Gear lever and rod added, the gate was covered with BMF.
IMG-6813.jpg

Knee pads added and the fire extinguisher/oxy bottle thingy cover added in the front of the seat.
IMG-6814.jpg

The instrument decals took some finding - after feeling grumpy that they were not included in the kit, I decided to have a look at the kit instructions……

They were on the decal sheet, I could not see them because they were just the white bits on a very light blue background - almost invisible!
IMG-6816.jpg

Quite pleased the gear lever ended up in the bulge in the coaming
IMG-6817.jpg

Front splitter added after spraying with Tamiya SG black
IMG-6819.jpg

Humbrol satin black brushed on in the area where the suspension will go. @galaxyg, dust included just for you!!!
IMG-6821.jpg

Right Chaps, appeal for help – anyone know where in the UK I can get some solid black decal paper? Had a Google around and could not find anything.

Need a couple of small pieces to go inside a painted radiator duct, which will avoid a really awkward masking job.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 3