British Army 9lb Field Gun and Limber, made from plans drawn by Barrie Voisey.

It appears that quite a few persons on this forum, are kind of taken with things that go "bang", so here's another ----------------------

A set of drawings duly arrived in the mailbox from a person who had seen that tiny "joke", I was told to make this and do a good job on it.

Liked the look of the few bits of detail on the drawings, so did quite a bit of research into these 'thingies' and decided that the model should be made to represent an actual gun.

Found a pic on some English site and it clearly showed the colour of the timber and what all the metal work should look like as well.

It is made to 1/12th scale as that's what most of the other models I make are to this scale as well.

Used Tasmanian Myrtle for the woodwork and ALL the metalwork is made from brass, duly blacked to look like it was made on a forge and painted black to slow down any rust.

Took a few months of graft and this jigger appeared on the workbench.

Started with the wheels first, if I can not do a good job on them, then why go any further.

An Englishman by the name of John Thompson has a few booklets printed on the way you can make miniature horse drawn carriages.

These booklets show how JT makes his wheels from timber, to try and emulate an actual full sized wooden spoked carriage wheel, used these drawings of JT's as an inspiration and his methods DO WORK.

Only problem with JT's method of wooden wheel construction, is that you sure waste a lot of timber doing it his way, so over the years I have developed another way of constructing wooden spoked wheels without the wastage of a lot of timber.

More on this subject with further postings.

Start with the hub, spokes and wooden fellies, the fellies are those 6 wooden cake slices all glued together, then into the lathe to make a circle of fellies the correct O/D and I/D

UrJQNLf.jpg

Here's how the wooden spokes fit into the hub, the spoke ends are a tapered rectangle and I just use a jewellers hammer to knock them into the round holes, as the spokes are driven in, the rectangle on the end of the spoke forces it's way into the round hole, making the round hole a squarish hole. This looks like the spoke has actually been mortised into the hub, just way the wheels are made by a wheelwright, OK, it's cheating, but hey, it bloody well works, eh.

nU8g2ov.jpg

Here's what all the finished "spiders' look like, as well as the fellies turned to size ready to accept the 'spider's', when joined you now have a wooden spoked wheel that actually does resemble a full sized wheel.

UZDKNh6.jpg

Spiders and fellies being glued together to make the wheel.

h78mqB8.jpg

Started on the main body, wings, axles and turning the brass cannon.

DUfjQMR.jpg

A mock up of the few bits just to get an idea of size.

66I0YIQ.jpg

No more pictures until I had finished it, forgot to take any more progress photo's, sorry.

After painting and blackening the brass work, this appeared on the bench.

PbnPsmJ.jpg

falENKq.jpg

3n6yzLk.jpg

And the Limber soon followed.

JzEvMZT.jpg

1Sn0TJW.jpg

I58DJGC.jpg

Had this model on another forum and one of the members contacted Barrie Voisey's son, who then got in touch with me.

Now when Barrie Voisey was actually making and selling kits of this cannon, and other models, Barrie's son was the person who actually made dozens of these finished cannons, as Barrie Voisey offered the unfinished  kit, or,   as a  'finished item' for sale.

He was over the moon to see how I had done mine, as all he ever made was the fancy version, lacquered timber and polished brass finish.

Anyway, same as before, any comments or queries shall be attended to in a timely manner.

Edited by radish1us
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Agreed - beautifully done. I especially like the finish. Much more realistic than the shiny ornaments these sometimes become.

Thanks for sharing how to make the wheels. Might have a crack at that one day.

That is amazing.

The first six photos it looked like really skilful modelling but it still looked quite basic and then suddenly the finished model and wow.  If it weren’t for the fact that I knew it was a model it could easily be taken for the real thing.

Cheers,

Nigel