Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

My bank account don't like this idea :D

Same. It looks really good but I will get the Trumpeter kit instead it's just too much money for me. I can live with the inaccuracies of the Trumpeter kit since my untrained eyes can't tell the difference anyway.

Edited by dbostream
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dbostream said:

Same. It looks really good but I will get the Trumpeter kit instead it's just too much money for me. I can live with the inaccuracies of the Trumpeter kit since my untrained eyes can't tell the difference anyway.

 

I'm on the fence at the moment. The Trumpeter is 1/4 of the price I've found for the Meng one. I haven't heard of what the issues are with the Trumpeter kit. I know there are some but don't know what it is or how bad they are?

 

Carl

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FG2Si said:

 

I'm on the fence at the moment. The Trumpeter is 1/4 of the price I've found for the Meng one. I haven't heard of what the issues are with the Trumpeter kit. I know there are some but don't know what it is or how bad they are?

 

Carl

 

The trumpeter is a pig to build, it doesn't have a distributor, and there is no room for the spare wheel in the front compartment - oh and the tyres are not really the right profile. That said, glue the body together and paint it and the shape is pretty good.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 1:35 AM, FG2Si said:

 

I'm on the fence at the moment. The Trumpeter is 1/4 of the price I've found for the Meng one. I haven't heard of what the issues are with the Trumpeter kit. I know there are some but don't know what it is or how bad they are?

 

Carl

 

 

Do you know the price of the unreleased Meng GT40 then 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thant works out at a little under £200 UK, Trumpeter kit, or who ever are doing it now, here is £129. So UK it's a bargain then compared to Trumpeters one.

Probably work out more than the £200 but if the quality is as good as their 1/9 Kawasaki re-coloured kit I'm willing to go double the Trumpeter one

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just received an email from SpotModel with a 'bargain' pre-order price of €307.80 🤣

 

Shipping date is 26th December. 

 

Hobbyeasy @ £200 plus VAT plus shipping plus carrier's handling charge must be getting close to about £275? 

Edited by elderly
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll wait and see what the reviews are before parting with that amount of money,managed to pick up the 1/9 Kawasaki pre-coloured for £58 delivered, UK price £99 plus delivery

More pictures on The modeling news site. Does look nice, but waiting on a definite price before I jump

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2020 at 19:26, elderly said:

I've just received an email from SpotModel with a 'bargain' pre-order price of €307.80 🤣

 

Shipping date is 26th December.

 

Yesterday SpotModel added the non-painted version of the kit for pre-order at €278.95. Estimated shipping 14th February. I changed to that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a little better, but for us in the UK I wonder how little the Mini Pound Sterling will be worth

and what post-transition duties might be imposed on us next year?

 

It could be that the painted version ordered and paid for this year might work out cheaper 🤑

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's always been the non painted version to preorder as the pre coloured one won't allow a pre order.Wonder if they got the prices mixed up first time around

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, colin said:

I think it's always been the non painted version to preorder as the pre coloured one won't allow a pre order.Wonder if they got the prices mixed up first time around

 

Yes, something was mixed up, SpotModel has changed things around over the weekend since I got my messages from them friday night asking if I wanted to change my pre-order from painted to non-painted. And now they say 26th December for the non-painted, not 14th February as they did then. Oh well...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have their Kawasaki pre-coloured bike kit. The black chrome parts are brilliant and would be hard to replicate even with a airbrush to their standards. The others parts not too bad but I will probably repaint anyway.

If they can pull off the GT40 coloured panels as well as their bike, which I'm not so sure about due to the size and complexity of that one, I might be tempted. It would take a lot of hassel out of the build with the amount of stuff that is movable on the kit and painting the body so it still works

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, colin said:

I have their Kawasaki pre-coloured bike kit. The black chrome parts are brilliant and would be hard to replicate even with a airbrush to their standards. The others parts not too bad but I will probably repaint anyway.

 

high-left-front-quarter-L.jpg

The Ninja is a brilliant kit, and the way they've thought about the design, engineering and fit is nothing short of Tamiya quality. If I go for the non-painted GT40, my main worry would be that it'll be so precisely engineered that even a layer of paint will throw the assembly off... I suspect that either version will be a helluva kit, though...

best,

M.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I can't get my head around with the pre coloured GT40 or even the unpainted one. How they are going to pre colour the parts with so many moveable panels on the kit.

Unless they have been really cleaver and allowed for the paint thickness when molding to allow for it

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, colin said:

That's what I can't get my head around with the pre coloured GT40 or even the unpainted one. How they are going to pre colour the parts with so many moveable panels on the kit.

Unless they have been really cleaver and allowed for the paint thickness when molding to allow for it

I suspect paint is not involved - more likely the parts are injection molded in those chosen colors. They would need two different sized molds ( X all the parts) to allow for paint thickness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Codger said:

I suspect paint is not involved - more likely the parts are injection molded in those chosen colors. They would need two different sized molds ( X all the parts) to allow for paint thickness.

They don't on their Kawasaki bike kits, they're painted parts

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colin said:

They don't on their Kawasaki bike kits, they're painted parts

But do they offer that kit in two versions; painted AND unpainted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, colin said:

Yes

The majority of the painted Ninja kit is clearly masked and sprayed, whether automatically or by people on the production line. The green frame looks like it may be some variant on vapour deposition, and the ‘black chrome” is plated like most chrome sprues but with an extra layer. The parts are also moulded with thought-through sprue colours. Interestingly, the UNpainted kit apparently (according to reviews) has a “carbon weave” texture on some parts which is not present in the painted one (though those parts are precoloured in a gloss “off-black” instead.)

 

I’ll be weathering my GT40 to a “race-winning” look, so with luck that will blend in either colour-moulded panels or painted ones, whatever it comes with. This one will be in Tamiya paint rather than Zero base/2pack clear anyway, so the paint layers will be thinner.

 

Very much looking forward to seeing it when it makes its way from Hong Kong!

best,

M.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Matt's information of cabon-type finish on the unpainted version is correct, that may be indication of two types of molds, which would add to production expense.

No matter, either type of coloration on the GT would benefit from test fitting and mock-up to verify adequate panel gaps.

And regarding paint thickness, while true about Tamiya lacquers vs Zero, I have found MRP lacquer is even thinner than Tamiya.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...