Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

Late to this one so will sit quietly at the back by the window and watch three superb builds emerge 

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

One construction post, two specialized tools and three Hurricane kits, Ced must be close by.

:ditto:  :D

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi Ced,

Also very late to the party (as usual!) but I'll be watching with great interest, especially the Arma version as I was lucky enough to pick up two of their Mk.IIc kits recently, one of which is destined to be a Mk.IId tin opener 😀

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Oooh, another CedB masterclass. 

Followed! 

I have three in the stash, and planned to use one for the BoB GB.

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Do they make one in 1/48?  

If Arma ever decides to do the Mk.II, they'll instantly corner the market seeing as the only real option is the old Hasegawa.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, alt-92 said:

If Arma ever decides to do the Mk.II, they'll instantly corner the market seeing as the only real option is the old Hasegawa.

They do the Mk.IIc.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Hey! Down in front! I'm late to the show ( I'm a few time zones west of the UK ) and I'm not that tall ( okay! I'm short. I know it! )

I need to see how Ced does his magic.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Hi Simon :) What went wrong? Something I should look out for?

I think I got bored (I was making eight Hurricanes at the same time) but I found the interior a bit tricky.

Edit: You can do the Airfix canopy open. Just (I say just) sand the  doghouse down until the canopy fits.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 5

You take your eye off Britmodeller for one day and it’s already page 2 of a Ced build. Standing room only I suppose? As someone currently reaching the end of their 8 month battle with the Airfix kit, I look forward to your masterclass on how to do it properly in less than a week. 

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

One construction post, two specialized tools and three Hurricane kits, Ced must be close by.

14 hours ago, giemme said:

:ditto:  :D

Ciao

:rofl2: Thanks Cookie and Giorgio

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Late to this one so will sit quietly at the back by the window and watch three superb builds emerge 

Roger

Thanks Roger - I hope not to disappoint! :) 

14 hours ago, RichieW said:

😂Hi Ced there should have been an 'a' in front of the ll😂.

The Arma Hobby Hurri is my number 1 in the true scale. 

Ah, thanks Richie, got it :) 

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Ced,

Also very late to the party (as usual!) but I'll be watching with great interest, especially the Arma version as I was lucky enough to pick up two of their Mk.IIc kits recently, one of which is destined to be a Mk.IId tin opener 😀

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark - wait no longer! See below :) 

13 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Oooh, another CedB masterclass. 

Followed! 

I have three in the stash, and planned to use one for the BoB GB.

They do the Mk.IIc.

Kind regards,

Mark

13 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Yes - but that sentence is geared towards the 1/48 question. 

My apologies! It's been a long day and I've had a tot of whisky!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks alt :) As Mark says (thanks Mark) Arma are doing a IIc and trop - but only 1/72 (so far)

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hey! Down in front! I'm late to the show ( I'm a few time zones west of the UK ) and I'm not that tall ( okay! I'm short. I know it! )

I need to see how Ced does his magic.

Chris

Hi Chris :) Kind of you but 'the magic' isn't working in this heat!

13 hours ago, Beard said:

I think I got bored (I was making eight Hurricanes at the same time) but I found the interior a bit tricky.

Edit: You can do the Airfix canopy open. Just (I say just) sand the  doghouse down until the canopy fits.

Thanks for the warning Simon - I'll be careful! :) 

1 minute ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

You take your eye off Britmodeller for one day and it’s already page 2 of a Ced build. Standing room only I suppose? As someone currently reaching the end of their 8 month battle with the Airfix kit, I look forward to your masterclass on how to do it properly in less than a week. 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig :) 'New tool Airfix' eh? We've all seen the issues with the tight tolerances - let's see how I get on!

• Like 4

Still puzzling over the u/c doors I've contacted Troy and he's sending me some Airfix bits (thanks Troy :) )

Weird though isn't it?

Here are the lower wings with the Arma on top of the Airfix:

50052463978_b2ba32b74f_z.jpg

Pretty perfect match.

The Airfix bits go together like this:

50053291797_b29ffd33d1_z.jpg

You can see there is a bit of a gap between the front of the wheel and the front of the bay so when it goes into the Arma:

50053048426_ca6fa71eff_z.jpg

…I'll be happy.

If you're worried about the Arma doors don't be - they look really good open:

50052471988_315619c667_z.jpg

So, next step is assembling the bays.

These are probably going to effect the wing join so any gate vestiges (thanks to hendie for the technical term) need removing:

50052480158_edcd6756c8_z.jpg

The instructions would have you assemble the bay and then insert it into the wing but I found the fit er, how can I put it, 'a bit tight'. 

Like the Airfix the tolerances on the kit are tight and it the moulding process goes awry they don't go together without 'help':

50053314887_fb707471a1_z.jpg

I used Quick Setting on one and it split the parts. TET worked after waiting for it to melt the plastic a bit, but still very tight. They're in now and clamped:

50052506963_edc3abc7a3_z.jpg

On to the Airfix.

One tip - when you're doing step-by-step posts make sure you're not making a rod for your own back; this one benefits from all the bay parts being assembled and jiggled together to get everything aligned. I didn't. I pondered this gap for too long:

50052517213_852144a9ae_z.jpg

See where the front of the bay is bowing back? Danger sign.

Suffice it to say if you think you've got that to fit the little arms on the side parts won't 'join up'.

I ended up trimming the little tabs on the front that should go into slots on the wing, removing the back so they settled (without losing the detail). 

That done everything settled:

50053220326_169da81c4f_z.jpg

Once that's dry I can brush some paint on.

Not for me, obviously (nothing will be seen once the doors are closed) but so that we can see and compare the detail in the bays.

Yes, I know it's kind of me.

You're very welcome :D 

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

A great start on these two - I'm getting the itch to make a start on one of my Arma kits.....must resist, must resist..... must finish Tomahawk first.....

BTW what interior paints will you be using? I've converted to acrylics, and I'm gradually accumulating Vallejo colours, but don't have RAF interior colours yet.....

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks Mark :) 

I'm with you on the acrylics although Colourcoats are my favourite for sprayed externals - I should use them on the internals too but find it easier to brush these bits as I go.

I'll be using Humbrol 78 'cockpit green' for the interior as well as my beloved AK paste - I didn't get on with the Hu 56 as you'll see below.

OK, wing fit. All are fine.

Airfix:

50053754122_30604dae79_z.jpg

Arma:

50052937143_52f962d602_n.jpg 50053516661_2f97ee57ca_n.jpg

They'll all need clamping/tape and the Armas will need a bit more cleaning up but they look fine so I can paint them.

The Hu56 is a bit weird. it's had a couple of steel balls put in and a good shake in the electric shaker but it's still possible to see the 'grains', even with added flow improver:

50052983663_baa611416d_z.jpg

It didn't cover the PE very well either:

50052984333_5f00140aa2_z.jpg

… so I reverted to AK True Metal Dark Aluminium for the second Arma:

50053806817_d95e2780a8_z.jpg

Much better IMHO.

What will you be able to see?

Airfix:

50053561081_a6c364a8db_z.jpg

Arma:

50053560141_28719fc818_z.jpg

Both nice levels of detail that, with some patience (that I don't have), would build a nice model, especially with the gear fitted.

Wing closure next.

• Like 17

Hi Ced,

Thanks for the extra info on paints, the AK True Metal looks pretty convincing!

As a recent returnee to the hobby, I've got a very few AeroMaster acrylics and Humbrol enamels left over from 25+ years ago, so it's good to know what paints considered good these days! I've not tried the Colourcoats enamels, although I've read good reports.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Ced,

Thanks for the extra info on paints, the AK True Metal looks pretty convincing!

As a recent returnee to the hobby, I've got a very few AeroMaster acrylics and Humbrol enamels left over from 25+ years ago, so it's good to know what paints considered good these days! I've not tried the Colourcoats enamels, although I've read good reports.

Kind regards,

Mark

I love the AK True Metal paste but YMMV! I wonder though how much of your old paint is going to be useable! :) 

If you're spraying I'd recommend Vallejo Model Air as an easy to use and non-smelly range, although some of their colour matching is a bit suspect.

If we weren't in such strange times I'd suggest 'whatever you can grab locally' but hey, paint is very much a personal choice I guess.

4 minutes ago, Beard said:

I gave up on Humbrol 56 a long time ago in favour of Tamiya Flat Aluminium (XF-16) and Humbrol Metalcote Flat Aluminium (27001). I do like the look of the AK though. 

Thanks Simon - I have some Tamiya and I might give it another go :) 

Wings glued:

50053786891_053c61f14f_z.jpg

No real problems.

The Arma trailing edges are beautifully thin, but I think the Airfix will need some work…

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, CedB said:

I wonder though how much of your old paint is going to be useable! :) 

If you're spraying I'd recommend Vallejo Model Air as an easy to use and non-smelly range, although some of their colour matching is a bit suspect.

If we weren't in such strange times I'd suggest 'whatever you can grab locally' but hey, paint is very much a personal choice I guess.

I think, not much! 😀 Although having said that, the AeroMaster US interior green was alright, except that I thinned it for spraying (first use of my airbrush in 25+ years!) and it was a bit too thin - I think I may have thinned it all those years ago!

But I've heard good things about Vallejo, so I'm going with their products at least for now - I hope their RAF desert camo colours are right.....ish! I'm lucky that my nearest model shop (WD Models in Chesterfield - no connection, etc) stock their range, and they reopened a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread now 🙂

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 2

If you already are used to ModelAir, the bog-standard 71.062 Alu does just fine for this kind of work :)

Oh and Interior Green has a close equivalent in 71.126 IDF/AF green.

• Thanks 4

re the canopy options and shapes, 

as I say, curved rail and the canopy flexes as it moves along the runnners

shut

Hurricane_canopy_rails.jpg&key=3a71ad06e

open, and note rail curve

Sea%2520Hurricane-004.JPG&key=1b1abe1301

from

while a Sea Hurricane, lovely restoration, and very good for getting a feel of the airframe.  Just note tyhat up unitil 1942 the internals are all aluminium paint apart from the cockpit side walls and bulkhead.

regarding the various props

they are

De Haviland Hurricane

'Spitfire' Rotol and Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol, these use the same blades.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

No, I don't know if the bullet Rotol is a CM/1 or a ES/9, and in 72nd there is very little difference to see ....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Wow, I can't imagine the progress under comfortable temperatures if this is your build rate in the heat.

Wonderful modelling Ced, thanks for the side-by-side and showing the soon to be hidden gear bay internals. A true gentleman indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Just note tyhat up unitil 1942 the internals are all aluminium paint apart from the cockpit side walls and bulkhead.

Hi,

Apologies for asking what are probably daft questions so please forgive me, but presumably the non-aluminium-painted areas were interior green and how much of the cockpit sidewalls were so painted?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1