Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

2 hours ago, Col. said:

MiG-3 is coming on well

Thanks! It’s a very nice kit.

And today so far, we have thinning the radiator bath sides of the MiG:

77-EFE3-D4-A35-B-4183-8130-414711086-A73

And sanding down the fuselage and adding tail planes to the Storch:

E727-FFB1-F039-407-A-8713-EB7-D1-B449736

...and breaking off the Storch propeller. I also noted that a lot of aircraft were fitted with a clear blanking plate where the gun as mounted, so I drilled that out. The Airfix clear part is twice as thick on the left side and paper thin on the other side, so I had drill wandering and plastic splitting issues:

625-A6131-56-DB-443-E-B302-D68-E389-CD14

At least I now have access so I can clean out the dust inside the canopy!

• Like 7

I just found out something else interesting. Just in the last week or two I have been unable to see pics posted on PostImage by you and @perdu However, if I use a VPN I can see them!

I did say I thought it was a problem this end, but why a photo hosting site would be blocked I have no idea!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have found a few sites (postimage, modelingmadness) are unreachable from time to time, depending on what network you are on. I’m sure they will come back when somebody updates their routing tables.

Storch, painted and Futured:

89681967-46-FE-441-F-B326-1455-E9-F4544-

I got a more accurate and detailed paint guide off the web, but then I got my 70 and 71 back to front. Doh! It’s about to disappear under whitewash (mostly) so I’m not too bothered this time.

• Like 11

Wow! 😯

that's great progress Adrian👍

I can we now why the Storch ended up on the shelf for so long.

Good luck with mating the wings to the airframe 🙏

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

old style

Thanks Steve! A bit too "old style" for modern photography, methinks. I would have gotten away with it with 2 inch wide 150 dpi black and white pics in the old Airfix Magazine.

Well I was just marvelling at how smoothly the RLM 70 (or was it 71) was brushing on and I put the paint pot top back on for a second. When I re-opened it, I could see in the surface reflection a host of small bits! This is the dried paint flaking off the screw threads as you open the pot. If you shake your paints to mix them, paint inevitably gets to the lid and hence to the screw thread. Which explains why all my Humbrol paints go lumpy after a while, and probably why Humbrol has changed over to flip-top lid pots. I am looking forward to them because I have some nearly 30 year old JP acrylics in tip-top condition, in exactly the same style of pot.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a similar collection of near 40 year old enamels but decided to bite the bullet and gave them away last year. I’m now mostly Tamiya with some Humbrol and AK and a very small collection of enamels for difficult colours like white, silver and yellow.

• Like 1

I actually masked the cockpit on this one, because it is getting three different colours of paint. Interior and base colour done, ready for the whitewash:

0693-B35-B-CF57-40-CE-972-C-994409-AF840

The yellow band is already distressed. This is the rather old Airfix decal after being savaged by a cocktail stick.

• Like 3

Well, I wanted a noisy colour scheme to hide all the ‘orrible bits of the build:

D9647-CEB-B5-C1-4-EDF-8-D07-93-B1-B5-BAC

I’m rather liking Ceramite white. Note that my ancient 1/4” flat has been “promoted” to the weathering department.

• Like 10

Good job here Adrian!

I've just found this thread, and have enjoyed (and been impressed by) your determination to succeed and the strategies you've employed to accomplish this goal. Your canopy for the Breda was very clever.

Keep going! :like:

SD

• Thanks 1

Strut time:

8-D420848-7-E2-E-4-E9-E-BD54-2-FD5-A3-F0

The starboard wing struts needed a bit of fettling, but the other side was simply 2-3mm too long, so needed to be cut down and reshaped.

You can see the new replacement undercarriage legs, shorter than either of the kit options. I need to build fairings around the new struts, make some skis and add all the other struts that Airfix missed!

• Like 5