Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

Wow, what a difference a day makes (cue for a song).

Following along and enjoying seeing your shame vanish into the distance - great work, especially on those canopies! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why are brush painters like vampires?

Because they both fear sunlight!

7-AEFF26-D-3881-471-B-8828-A91-DD97-F851

In more diffuse lighting, with faded colour dry-brushed over to break up the colours a little (and to distract from the lumps and brush marks):

8058945-F-A728-472-D-BF11-1-A41-C00-B9-D

When this is all over I think I might treat myself to some new Humbrol acrylics; my pot of Hu 94, amongst others, seems to be very gritty.

• Like 9

Ok. There are more (in order of shame): Long Range Monoplane; Airfix Hawker Demon (and an Aeroclub Osprey started in the same box); Gerald Elliot vac Vixen (strictly desktop!); Short Empire (plus a growing list of people who would like a fuselage vac); and (what was I thinking?) an Airfix Ark Royal with the WEM PE set and 1/600 crew (I’ve  started a thread in a GB so it’s on). That is my build list for this year, plus two Blitzbuilds, obviously, and a stash that keeps calling from the garage. No problem then...

• Like 4

Well, I couldn’t hold it by a wingtip forever, so I cut a slot for an Airfix stand and rigged the tail using wire and PVA:

D9-A14158-367-C-44-F8-91-CE-5-E70-D8-BE5

FA9-D8317-41-AD-41-AE-A811-113-F3-C7340-

Back to the Storch. I remember building this and really liking it. Now my standards may have risen or the moulds have deteriorated, but I’m not liking it now:

5205-F275-F620-4081-A0-E2-830-AE9-B9-D55

That’s as bad as I’ve ever seen coming out of a kit box. Also there are a lot of struts missing, although that isn’t such a loss if they would have looked like this.

I’m going to go with brass wire legs joined with a brass tube inside the top of the canopy, with the legs sheathed in plastic so I can avoid soldering.

And as I get older I seem to be more averse to swastika schemes, so I may do this as a Finnish one.

Ah, wait...

You know what I mean.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

If a kit has terrible undercarriage legs, that doesn’t mean that the rest of it will fit together well. I mixed some ten-year-old Squadron Green with some Revell Contacta to make it workable and to ensure adhesion, then slathered it on:

1-E9-FC8-A4-8939-4-C6-D-9-E36-4-FCA27-A7

Meanwhile, here’s the Emhar repop of the Red Star Mig 3. I’ve built the Hobbyboss Mig 3, which is very nice indeed, but this is still a sound kit:

6-E4571-F4-CECF-40-BD-ABDC-80-F059-B493-

I found an interesting winter camo scheme for a Storch on skis so these two will both be white(ish).

• Like 4

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Transfers done. As usual this took about an hour for the graphics and another hour to get the printer to print all the colours...

4-DADBB23-FD0-E-4-C12-AC6-D-5937170-A9-A

I even remembered to mirror image the insignia and stripes!

By George, I do think he's got it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love the in flight shot of the Breda Adrian. Do you use Inkscape for drawing the graphics? I'm having a frustrating time trying to learn to use it for my Tripe markings. Should probably try it sober!

Looking forward to seeing the Storch progress 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

drawing the graphics

The insignia were directly downloaded from the internet and the rest was constructed using PowerPoint. I use the “insert shape” option a lot to build up markings, and there are some aircraft fonts available for download. I lay it all out and scale everything for printing in Word. Not the “best” tools but stuff I use at work every day...

Wrapping up tonight, the Mig fuselage is together:

1-B6-F9540-EF8-D-4591-8-E41-7-A13-DAB501

And the Storch cowling is on (going to need more filler!):

8-BCD82-C8-43-D3-493-F-B9-DA-1-ADE321915

• Like 8