Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

Feel like a teenager now Adrian - like, like, like, like…

That white looks amazing - great job, and on the canopy.

Good luck with the legs - I'm gripped! :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

white looks amazing

I am really impressed by the Citadel Ceramite White! It was perfect for the job, and I've previously seen it provide a smooth finish (undercoat for the Breda to get the white for the insignia). I will find out more when I get to painting the MiG 3 (also white).

18 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

on going Ju 52 build

Is there a link? I can't find anything.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I am really impressed by the Citadel Ceramite White! It was perfect for the job, and I've previously seen it provide a smooth finish (undercoat for the Breda to get the white for the insignia). I will find out more when I get to painting the MiG 3 (also white).

Is there a link? I can't find anything.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I haven't done a WIP for the Ju 52 but will post an RFI once I have battered it in to submission 😆

• Sad 1

Took the afternoon off (I.e. pushed my laptop to a corner of the desk) and did some more, starting with my hi-tech disc punch and the gun mount blanking window:

C73-EDA92-1-E58-4-AB4-83-BE-5-DAEB82-AAA

Skis were next, carefully measured off t’interweb and made from plastic card scraps:

F67856-FE-D5-AF-4129-A9-C6-7-FD7-B92132-

Then the legs got sanded plastic card slivers fore and aft, with paper sheaths, all secured with lashings of superglue and sanded down:
7-C8-B9468-3-ADE-4-CE3-9-F51-FF115-E72-B

• Like 13

Hi Adrian,

Both Storch and MiG-3 are familiar kits for me. I have built both of them and somehow like looka nd feel of the Airfix Fieseler over Heller and Academy but MiG less than the HobbyBoss. Well, the latter was not available when I built my MiG.

At least one set of the Airfix Storch landing gears is molded in the flight position. And I have feeling, that the other one is too long too...

I built the earlier MiG-3 which needed more modification to the nose. What I remember and what is relevant of the later ones too might be slightly too small spinner (I didn't do anything of it) but I recall filing the cowl cylinder banks a bit to match better to the photos. Also the rear fuselage has a continuous curve unlkike a slight "8" shaped cross section. Canopy I took from the Falcon kit but the fi was not stellar. Basic shapes are pretty decent as a moluld for a Soviet aircraftwith mould made in the mid 1970's.

Cheers,

AaCee

Wow. Fate was tempted, and came round with a baseball bat and a few mates:

2-AE9-C736-4-B89-44-DF-89-BD-582-F6-FD94

The transfers are incredibly thin and fragile, and were disintegrating around the edges where I had trimmed the yellowed carrier film.

Humbrol Decalfix and Ceramite white do not mix - luckily I had forgotten to do my usual pool of Decalfix before adding the decal. The blemish by the port wing cross is where my brush merely touched the surface.

And once they touch the model the decals really don’t want to move without disintegrating.

I just got away with it - I like the slightly aged white of the insignia (and my reference photo suggests that the real thing had the same issue), and at least some of the frayed edges can be excused as whitewash overspill.

I will scan and print my own decals for the codes, which thankfully I didn’t start with.

• Like 9

“Well I’ve got a few skeletons in the cupboard. They watch me from boxes on the mantelpiece in the study, and now that I’m home all the time, they are starting to get inside my head.”

Adrian............this is THE quote of the year!!!!!!  Thanks for the laugh and continued success on your projects. :clap2:

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Basic shapes are pretty decent as a moluld for a Soviet aircraftwith mould made in the mid 1970's.

Thanks for the comments AaCee. For the Storch leg length I’m using 37mm instead of the kit‘s 45 or 48.

The Massimo Testori website has a beautiful build of the Red Star/Emhar kit with a very comprehensive list of mods, almost all of which I am not doing! The MiG 3 is pretty much OOB, with a bit of cockpit detail and some thinning of the scoop and intake edges. I’m still debating whether to replace the exhausts altogether or just tidy them up a bit, but that will be it.

@Sky Keg Thanks - I had forgotten how many kits I’ve started over the years! Scary...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I had similar problems with the Airfix Storch over on the Nordic GB. Admittedly they hadn't been stored in the best of conditions but the wing struts were distorted to the point of uselessness. 

I replaced one Airfix kit with an Academy example but I'm persevering with the other one on the basis that I should be able to get one decent model out of 2 sets of parts. 

The Airfix Storch also seems to be short of some underwing struts and undercarriage supports, which will need to be added. 

John 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John said:

Airfix Storch over on the Nordic GB.

I'm glad someone is doing a Nordic one! I will swing by and take a look later. I was tempted to do something to go with my Finnish FROG Blenheim but I decided I had enough on my plate.

It looks like the missing undercarriage struts actually form a rigid structure with the upper part of the undercarriage leg, and then the lower struts flex with the shock absorber strut as it compresses, swinging up and out. So there must be a flexible joint at the top of the shock absorbers to join the rigid bit and the moving bit. Sorry, TMI, was wondering about it this afternoon while trying to figure out how much kink to add at the join. I'm also wondering whether to add the flap hinges (3 under each wing) and there seem to be two drains under the fuel tanks (too late for me to take off the fabric detail now).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Looking good. I remember completing the Heller Storch more than once it always built into a lovely model. I’d love to do one in 1/48 but for some reason the Tamiya kit is very expensive, so waiting till I see one at a reasonable price.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

hard to believe this is the old Airfix offering

Thanks Roger! I am surprised by how well it scrubs up. That's why I wanted to crack on with my Shelf of Shame - it's easy to get disheartened and put a kit to one side when it just needs a spot of perseverance.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

legs

Thanks Ced! The legs should have a small kink where the rod meets the oleo, as per my blatherings above, but I may skip it because everything is glued together and I want to keep it that way!

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Well recovered on the decals as well

That could so easily have been a Decalfix Disaster! Thank goodness I forgot.

I had scanned in the old decals (a bit tricky when you've already cut out the letters...) and was in the middle of pixel editing them when I remembered I have a "Blockschrift fur Flugzeuge" font downloaded. Type in "SI+FU" in 22 point and you're away, complete with cross in the middle instead of "+" (I kept the kit's original cross). The kit decals are a bit squarer (eg, more of a flat bottom to the "U") than the real thing in the photo, whereas the font is a tad rounder. But it's close enough for me!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Heller Storch

I have the Heller one in the stash and the plastic looks lovely. The fact that I have an Airfix one tells you volumes about the selling power of box art!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

for some reason the Tamiya kit is very expensive

Well, it is Tamiya. Sometimes they come up cheap from Asia on Ebay (I got my 1/72 Mosquitos for 12 quid each that way) but they are steep. I even saw a Storch stand up there for 20-odd quid!

• Like 2

That is a super job on the Storch Adrian. I recall pulling my one out for a GB some years ago & having looked at it & read a bit about Storchs, put it straight back. :( Seeing this, I wouldn't be quite so jaundiced towards it again.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

I’ve added all the final details: tail ski, flap actuators, extra undercarriage struts, step bars on undercarriage, exhaust and oil cooler, bullet fairing above canopy, and last but not least the underwing bracing from stretched sprue:

53387516-BF6-C-415-D-833-D-C4-DE3-A52-BF

• Like 18