Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

Those skis and legs make the difference!!!

The winter camouflage is very convincing!

The Breda looks gorgeouson the stand and with the propeller makes it more aggressive!!!

Hope you'll forgive me if I dare a small criticism, but I couldn't resist as this is one of the most beautiful colour schemes in Italian service.

I think you missed this scheme was 3 to 4 colors.

Here below a couple of profiles and a picture showing some variants of this scheme.

I think some reddish brown areas would make a nice addition. There isn't a precise scheme to match, thus you can add them in the most reachable areas, so... I'd go for them, you're still in time!

8hApzdA.jpg

N5ggH2U.jpg

This is just my personal opinion. 

By the way,  it's good to see these projects left aside for a long time have come to the end of the tunnel and you did a great work on them!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 3

Great work Adrian, the work on the Storch has made all the difference and it looks great.  The Mig looks great too . I am enjoying your shelf of shame builds and it inspired me to get on with one of mine that has been festering for a while a Dart Herald.  So thank you for your inspiration fella.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Massimo...

...you are truly a wicked man... :)

I did look long and hard at that exact scheme, but in the end I went to the straight sand/green of the Rareplane instructions. Reasons being

(1) Gordon Stevens said so. Admittedly more research will have turned up new results in the intervening 40-odd years.

(2) The aircraft in your photo (and all other three/four colour photos that I’ve seen) all have the long, earlier, transparent canopy rather than the short one I’ve got on this one.

(3) The photo here (and elsewhere) is predominantly a light colour with one dark tone. I could talk myself into believing all sorts of things but it is consistent with the short canopy and the Rareplanes scheme, and there doesn’t seem to be enough dark colour to support both dark green and dark brown.

All that said, I agree totally about the scheme looking great, and might come back to it if I ever start a “Shelf of Doom Repaint” Topic! I’m not entirely happy with it because the dark green is too dark to my eyes, and I need to paint the wing walkways at some point, so you never know...

@JOCKNEY if you pick up your Rareplane Breda, watch out for Massimo!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To misquote Mike Tyson, “Everybody has a plan until they start an Airfix Storch”. Well here’s my Plan B, saved by winter camouflage as shown in this photo:

055592-C7-E5-DA-421-D-9-BA6-F2-D0-D0-AA6

5-FDABC24-6416-417-B-B8-A1-6-C0695-A54-C

D5952-E75-BD24-4152-BD3-B-E6270-F3-EF0-C

The photos above were taken last night before the last-last details and Matt varnish. But they were nicer than the daylight ones I tried to take today. So you will have to imagine propeller logos, wingtip and landing lights, and pitot tube:

F61-B116-D-42-AC-469-C-9232-62-E3-E2-FBF

Meanwhile, I hear there’s a MiG 3 in need of sanding:

31-B3705-E-BD1-B-4-E32-B5-F7-57-C8300-E8

• Like 20

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I went to the straight sand/green of the Rareplane instructions. Reasons being

Just call it an homage rather than a specific machine. This is how I explain away any of my inaccuracies :) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Massimo...

...you are truly a wicked man... :)

I did look long and hard at that exact scheme, but in the end I went to the straight sand/green of the Rareplane instructions. Reasons being

(1) Gordon Stevens said so. Admittedly more research will have turned up new results in the intervening 40-odd years.

(2) The aircraft in your photo (and all other three/four colour photos that I’ve seen) all have the long, earlier, transparent canopy rather than the short one I’ve got on this one.

(3) The photo here (and elsewhere) is predominantly a light colour with one dark tone. I could talk myself into believing all sorts of things but it is consistent with the short canopy and the Rareplanes scheme, and there doesn’t seem to be enough dark colour to support both dark green and dark brown.

All that said, I agree totally about the scheme looking great, and might come back to it if I ever start a “Shelf of Doom Repaint” Topic! I’m not entirely happy with it because the dark green is too dark to my eyes, and I need to paint the wing walkways at some point, so you never know...

@JOCKNEY if you pick up your Rareplane Breda, watch out for Massimo!

Regards,

Adrian

Really enjoying these builds Adrian, very inspirational I must say !

I hope I don't upset @Massimo as I will be building this version with my Rareplanes Breda

IMG_4625

However as I'm fighting a vacform SAI 403 Dardo at the moment, hopefully he will forgive me 

If only there was a Fairey Long Range Monoplane on this thread it would be perfect :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

homage

I’ve been thinking about it while digging the garden this afternoon. Once the thought takes root...

9 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

this version with my Rareplanes Breda

That looks Massimo-proof!

10 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

If only there was a Fairey Long Range Monoplane on this thread it would be perfect :wicked:

Ouch. Point taken...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

F61-B116-D-42-AC-469-C-9232-62-E3-E2-FBF

Meanwhile, I hear there’s a MiG 3 in need of sanding:

31-B3705-E-BD1-B-4-E32-B5-F7-57-C8300-E8

Hello Adrian,

Your Storch gear lenght looks perfect. If I ever got mine built I have to remeber that unless it will turn to be an Airfix/Heller composition built with Airfix main components and Heller gear and canopy...

I had look of my old MiG. As you mentioned the exhausts I had re-done them. It was well-spent time for the end result.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

Inclining to the view that the wintry coat on your Storch is wonderfully elemental/tactile Adrian. Superb patina!

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

don't think @TheBaron will be coming to me to help with the Vixen CAD any time soon...

Somebody say Vixen? :laugh:

• Thanks 1

Back at the MiG 3, the exhausts are a bit blobby, so off they come:

5-B537-C7-F-967-A-4-F95-9-F9-B-0402-B10-

8219-DD57-16-CB-4-AFC-9-F65-270-DBD75266

And the filler under the wings got sanded down too:

89-B4-F871-F231-4-BB1-B224-8585-A8375-AE

This join with the wingtips moulded with the uppers is the only bad joint in the airframe. Time for a spot of paint to show what the join looks like now.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Ouch. Point taken...

Regards,

Adrian

Sorry mate I meant no offence, but lots of us were really enjoying seeing your Fairey Long Range Monoplane project.

Upon reflection its surprising that Frog didn't make one, considering all their other pioneer type aircraft.

Love how the Storch turned out, I had no idea of all the undercarriage issues, which of course you would never know now its finished ! :partytime:

cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I had no idea of all the undercarriage issues

It was the canopy wot done it. Multiple parts of badly fitting, load bearing, short shot, transparent plastic. 😬 Once you get past that everything else is downhill...

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

no offence

None taken! I need a KUTA from time to time. Just ask Mrs MF...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Dammit! Once you get going, it's hard to stop. I mocked something up to see what it might look like:

Sand-And-Green-And-Apple-And-Brown1.jpg

I don't think @TheBaron will be coming to me for help with the Vixen CAD any time soon...

Better? What do you think?

EXACTLY!!!

That's what I meant!

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I hope I don't upset @Massimo as I will be building this version with my Rareplanes Breda

IMG_4625

However as I'm fighting a vacform SAI 403 Dardo at the moment, hopefully he will forgive me 

Cheers Pat

Forgiven!

This s another interesting scheme!

Is there a WIP for the "Dardo"? I'd love to see some pics of it!!!

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

To misquote Mike Tyson, “Everybody has a plan until they start an Airfix Storch”. Well here’s my Plan B, saved by winter camouflage as shown in this photo:

055592-C7-E5-DA-421-D-9-BA6-F2-D0-D0-AA6

5-FDABC24-6416-417-B-B8-A1-6-C0695-A54-C

D5952-E75-BD24-4152-BD3-B-E6270-F3-EF0-C

I really love the wear on the wings, it really gives the idea of the paint worn by friction with air. 

As I already said, those skis look great!!!

Well done Adrian!!!

Ciao and stay safe!

Massimo

2 hours ago, Massimo said:

That's what I meant!

And if I use a light enough green, it is still compatible with the black and white reference photo. I will ignore the glazing length this time!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On with the MiG. Yes, I know it would have been easier to do this before assembly, but here we are. Exhausts marked out (Just the back bit not covered by a fairing) and a pilot cut made with a scriber:

13-E24-F88-B16-D-43-D4-95-BF-AFEAC06-C88

Widen and make rectangular:

514508-AF-7570-45-E0-9250-EE354-A560-FB7

Now that’s done and some card has been securely stuck on as a backplate, add the engine deck and use Humbrol filler to fill the gap:

AEC5-E159-2-BE9-4-EA3-B894-2289-F62-F4-C

I’ve thinned down and added the cheek intakes and added the side plates from five thou card. The Hobbyboss version (in view) really gives a sense of big-engine presence So I’ve put on plenty of filler to sand down.

• Like 7

Nice work on those improvements around the nose. the pilot setting on the wing of your other MiG caught my eye - did you modify him from a kit item?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Col. said:

pilot

I made him for my Airfix IL-2 ages ago from bits of pilots, mainly I think from the Revell RAF personnel set. He was in the VVS storage box so I just tried him out on the Hobbyboss MiG wing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1