Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

On 4/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, AdrianMF said:

Well the last of the masking has just come off, it still needs a sand but here it is:

8-D719491-E156-4-ED4-952-D-8-CA1-D733543

In that shot those wings definitely look more fabric than plastic to me.  NIcely transcended Adrian.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great work on the BE2C and MiG!

the ribbing on the BE2C looks great!

(After your work on the Frogfixstein Beaufort, I’m assuming Airfix have a BE2 and MiG-3 on the drawing board!)

• Thanks 1

Thanks all! It is rather strange when you create an optical illusion. You can see it as what you painted, i.e. rather badly masked cream and tan, and then it suddenly flips to looking like translucent fabric wings. I didn’t lighten the lower wings enough at first - the darker colour was showing through quite a lot - but I’ve lightened them some more since.

As I approach the end of the build my list has gotten longer, and I’ve also been dithering and experimenting with rolled wire rigging. Another day for that one! I’m going for no-holes, EZLine and superglue. I’ve yet to add the aileron horns but this is where it is:

C4-E84-BF6-DDC2-4-EB0-B97-C-B75575-C3-E7

• Like 16

Rigging:

6-EF93729-5-C0-B-4623-BCBB-2-A18-F536-C9

0243-F62-F-6801-487-E-86-D8-01-F4-E6-C30
All EZLine With kicker into spots of superglue. A bit of planning and forethought would have helped; for instance, the double bracing wires out of the sides of the fuselage could have done with some holes to thread through instead of being butt jointed to an inside corner.

It turns out that Airfix only did half the conversion job on this aircraft; the front cockpit was blanked off, the rear windshield was replaced with a folding flat one and the paint job seems a bit off too. As usual, my research post dated the build, so I will say this is the week prior to the photo session, before they did the modifications.

Still some more bracing to do, and I am also planning to do an external aileron cable run. There is lots of evidence for the cable below the wing, but rather less for a tip to tip run across the top wing, especially with the spools I’ve fitted. However, there’s a pic of a crashed Belgian BE2c that seems to show it clearly. I can always remove it...

• Like 12

Nice work with the rigging.  Rigging wth EZLine, for me at least, is always problematic.  I think it's because the quality of my CA isn't so great.  

Lovely paint job too!  Kudos!

• Thanks 1

That is really impressive Adrian, i love the underside effect!

As for the aileron run, I'll check my Datafile, but I'm fairly sure that by the time the C was introduced the bungees for aileron return had been replaced with the cable across the top wing as you state, usually with a pulley at the outer ends and guides inboard. I usually represent the guides by just drawing a small black line with a very fine marker. It basically creates a single cable run to both pull one side down, and pull the other side up, with the two being joined together by cables running vertically between the ailerons, in line with the control horns.

Ian

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'll check my Datafile

Thanks Ian. I think I’m going to remove all except the outer spools because I can’t see that many blobs in any pictures. I have holes  drilled ready for the vertical feeds. It makes you wonder how much stick force you needed to apply to bank, given that you’ve got around 80 feet of looped cable to move around...

3 hours ago, CedB said:

That's looking very special Adrian

Thanks Ced. The masking for the paint was a fiddle but it was worth it, I think. I may buy some fresh thin masking tape because I’m sure mine had just gone off over time, but I’ll wait next time until I’ve got a natural linen build scheduled!

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

Rigging wth EZLine, for me at least, is always problematic.

I use both the invisible thread with holes and the EZLine with superglue methods, and whenever I’m about half way through rigging with either method I find myself wishing I’d gone for the other one. Getting the flying wires stuck (and staying stuck) to the fuselage was hard, and after that it wasn’t too bad - at least there are no holes to fill.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Wow Adrian, the BE2 looks fantastic, great work on the underside, the translucent effect looks absolutely wonderful and spot in .  Great work fella it is really coming together.

Mig looking good too.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

I've had a scan through the datafile and the C definitely had a pulley each end, you have them in the right place, and nothing in the centre.

Ian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

BE2 looks fantastic

Thanks Chris.

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

C definitely had a pulley each end

Thanks Ian, I went with that in anticipation.

And it’s done:

5-DE96-F41-E75-B-4522-AD2-A-9-E03-E031-D
416-B4-E20-89-A8-4980-B26-F-31-D557-DA84

B23-C0399-B6-F9-4-DF5-9996-088-B913-B5-B

E9-CDCA41-5-D20-4-CCC-8-F89-02-E9-D83317

9-F5075-C2-2-A89-4644-B518-5-EB52780-B8-
E955466-C-5125-4-EA9-9-B94-11773112-D334

As mentioned earlier, it’s not quite the “Zeppelin Killer” but it looks like a BE2c, and that’s good enough for me. 

Next!

• Like 27