Jump to content

1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth A.W.52 by MikroMir - released


Homebee
 Share

Recommended Posts

Now, THAT is a  bit of an eye opener!! I can already hear the whinges and whines about producing this instead of, well, whatever subject modellers are supposed to be screaming out for!

Well done Mikromir. I like this kind of subject and, I can see more than a few "what ifs" appearing over the course of time!

Allan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A complete surprise and very exciting.  This is a 'must have' for me.   Most of the British development/experimental types of the 40s, 50s and 60s are available now in one form or another but the AW.52 was conspicuous by its absence.  Can't wait for this.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Now, THAT is a  bit of an eye opener!! I can already hear the whinges and whines about producing this instead of, well, whatever subject modellers are supposed to be screaming out for!

Well done Mikromir. I like this kind of subject and, I can see more than a few "what ifs" appearing over the course of time!

Allanc

The black and grey early Canberra scheme would look good on this, don't you think?  I'm a purist however so shall go with a reproduction of the real thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

The black and grey early Canberra scheme would look good on this, don't you think?  I'm a purist however so shall go with a reproduction of the real thing.

Whatever we choose, it looks good. I was thinking along the lines of the Suez scheme with black/yellow stripes.

Plenty room for under wing goodies and, it might be feasible fit a bomb bay in the centre section?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Whatever we choose, it looks good. I was thinking along the lines of the Suez scheme with black/yellow stripes.

Plenty room for under wing goodies and, it might be feasible fit a bomb bay in the centre section?

Allan

I like it.  Maybe an anti-flash white one as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 Most of the British development/experimental types of the 40s, 50s and 60s are available now in one form or another but the AW.52 was conspicuous by its absence.

 

Very true Meatbox, the only kit of the AW-52 I'm aware of, is the old A+V resin job (accuracy-wise it was a bit wide of the mark, unfortunately), making this one all the more welcome. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's nice to see that the Law of Sod prevails.

I've always had a soft spot for British Post War Experimental Prototypes and I have collected a fair number of them in kit form over the years. 

One of my Holy Grail kits was the A-V Resin AW.52 but I was always thwarted on Ebay by some of the prices that the kit would go for. That was until earlier this year when I finally managed to get one for a reasonable price and not a Kings ransom. I knew that it wasn't the most accurate or well detailed kit, but I had managed to get one.......... cue one happy Chris. 

Now I find that we are going to get a nicely detailed and more accurate model of the AW. 52 and in 1/72 scale from MicroMir. 

The same thing happened when I bought and built the Rareplanes Avro Vulcan. Within three months of finishing the beast, Airfix announced theirs. 

The story of my life. 

The moral of the story is that if anyone wants an injection molded kit of an obscure, just get me to buy a vacform or resin kit of it and some manufacturer will trot one out in no time at all! 

I'll still be buying an AW. 52 though. It's a great choice by MicroMir. 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cngaero said:

Well it's nice to see that the Law of Sod prevails.

I've always had a soft spot for British Post War Experimental Prototypes and I have collected a fair number of them in kit form over the years. 

One of my Holy Grail kits was the A-V Resin AW.52 but I was always thwarted on Ebay by some of the prices that the kit would go for. That was until earlier this year when I finally managed to get one for a reasonable price and not a Kings ransom. I knew that it wasn't the most accurate or well detailed kit, but I had managed to get one.......... cue one happy Chris. 

Now I find that we are going to get a nicely detailed and more accurate model of the AW. 52 and in 1/72 scale from MicroMir. 

The same thing happened when I bought and built the Rareplanes Avro Vulcan. Within three months of finishing the beast, Airfix announced theirs. 

The story of my life. 

The moral of the story is that if anyone wants an injection molded kit of an obscure, just get me to buy a vacform or resin kit of it and some manufacturer will trot one out in no time at all! 

I'll still be buying an AW. 52 though. It's a great choice by MicroMir. 

 

 

 

Do you have a vacform of an AW Atalanta? Or an Ensign? I'd love to see either, or preferably both, injection moulded in 1:72 ...

 

And yes, I'll be lining up for an AW.52!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Do you have a vacform of an AW Atalanta? Or an Ensign? I'd love to see either, or preferably both, injection moulded in 1:72 ...

 

And yes, I'll be lining up for an AW.52!

No, but if I buy one, someone like Valom would suddenly produce one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cngaero said:

Well it's nice to see that the Law of Sod prevails.

I've always had a soft spot for British Post War Experimental Prototypes and I have collected a fair number of them in kit form over the years.

The moral of the story is that if anyone wants an injection molded kit of an obscure, just get me to buy a vacform or resin kit of it and some manufacturer will trot one out in no time at all! 

I'll still be buying an AW. 52 though. It's a great choice by MicroMir. 

 

 

 

Hi. Would you therefore be interested in buying the Fantastic Plastic  resin Supermarine Type 559?

 

Allan😉😅

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, general melchett said:

 

 

Very true Meatbox, the only kit of the AW-52 I'm aware of, is the old A+V resin job (accuracy-wise it was a bit wide of the mark, unfortunately), making this one all the more welcome. 

The only other ones I can think of with no kits are the Short SB.4, Gloster E1/44 and the Hunting H.126.  Just about all the others are provided for or are in the pipeline.  Mind you, some of the ones in the Olimp pipeline have been there for a very long time.  Anyway this AW.52 announcement is very welcome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maintrack did the E1/44 in vacform a while ago. Not reissued by Whirlybird, possibly because it was not one of the best kits Maintrack did. Still the airframe is fairly straightforward in shape. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The magic of Micro-Mir strikes again, well done lads and lasses, this is one kit I have been begging for. To those that may moan, all will come to those who wait and this is no exception.

 

Now for those missing kits to come but with the current state of model output we may not be waiting that long, more and more obscure types are being covered in plastic so happy days me says.

 

And yes, I will be purchasing, just a pity it will not be at Telford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, cngaero said:

 

The moral of the story is that if anyone wants an injection molded kit of an obscure, just get me to buy a vacform or resin kit of it and some manufacturer will trot one out in no time at all! 

I'll still be buying an AW. 52 though. It's a great choice by MicroMir. 

 

 

 

-hi Chris, are you planning to get a vacform or resin F-108 ?    :)

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

hi Chris, are you planning to get a vacform or resin F-108 ?    :)

 

Maybe some time in the future. 

My next strategy is to start my 1/48 Sanger Vacform Short Stirling and 1/72 Formaplane  Handley Page Hastings and once complete, Airfix will announce their new1/48 injection molded kit that will be released in 2021, followed later that year by a 1/72 Hastings!!!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news as has been said above,Mikromir have given the lover of obscure British post war types a lot of cheer! At 90ft wingspan may be their biggest release to date (the aircraft not the kit hopefully!!). A most interesting aircraft and for some reason almost forgotten now, amazing what the British aircraft industry could produce in the austerity days of the late forties! Read an obituary recently of the pilot who made the first operational ejection of a Martin-Baker seat from this plane.

Cheers, Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Was there ever a design for an in-service inatantiation of the AW.52 all-wing concept. 

 

If so, I'd like to see that kitted.

 

Rgds

 

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, the wording on the nose says TRESTLE HERE. I have to investigate the others.

 

Regards

Robert

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth A.W.52 by MikroMir - released

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...