Sea Vixen FAW.1x2

To see what a Texas tornado can do, Google "Wichita Falls 1979 tornado." That north Texas city is my home town, where I was born, graduated from high school and university, and got married the first time. Fortunately for me, I was living in Connecticut at the time, else I probably would not be here today. The part of town where I lived while attending school was heavily damaged, and the apartment complex where my wife and I later lived was obliterated; the remnants of it were shown in a color photo in Newsweek magazine.

• Sad 6

10 hours ago, CedB said:

…only re-titled 'What Tony posts' and 'What Ced reads' :D 

You and me both, woof, woof!! 

(good to have been IT 'experts' in a previous life. eh Ced? Comes in very useful, doesn't it?! 🤣 )

K

• Haha 6

You have the pivot point right, the nose wheel leg doesn't pivot at its top due to how de Havilland designed the nose wheel steering equipment.  On the diagram it pivots on the point just above '56' and near '70', all the gear above that point sits forward of the hinge point when the leg is retracted and explains why the nosegear bay and the (seemingly over engineered!) forward doors are quite a bit forward of the leg.

I think I have a diagram of the bay structure somewhere, will try and find it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2020 at 14:31, Space Ranger said:

Y'all's apology accepted. 🙂

On arriving in Houston one time, the luggage porter (this was a long time ago) said " 'Zat all y'all's lugs?" I replied "Huh?" I thought we and the British were separated by a common language, but maybe it's the Texans.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 25.06.2020 at 22:09, TheBaron said:

Knowing the wheel diameter accurately, it's probably not a bad idea to build a simplified version of the nosegear and actually use this as a way of finesssing the interior clearances in the next session.

No understand, on RN/RAF aircraft size  wheel not indicated on rubber tires?

If not, (which is strange for me*) then  need to look at the wheel manufacturer, probably the exact dimensions should be indicated in his catalog.

* - it’s just that the majority of the wheels used in aviation of the USSR / Russian Federation are systematized and tabulated by Russian modelers based on data from manufacturers and inscriptions on tire covers or sizes indicated in the technical manual ,  therefore usually problems if they arise then with very rare experimental aircraft for which there are no technical manual and photos.

B.R.

Serge

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

On arriving in Houston one time, the luggage porter (this was a long time ago) said " 'Zat all y'all's lugs?" I replied "Huh?" I thought we and the British were separated by a common language, but maybe it's the Texans.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

The motto of the Texas tourism industry once was: "Texas: It's like a whole 'nother country!" And like other countries, we do have our own way to mangle the Kang's Anglish. For example, the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all." And we go to a barber shop to get our harket.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

The motto of the Texas tourism industry once was: "Texas: It's like a whole 'nother country!" And like other countries, we do have our own way to mangle the Kang's Anglish. For example, the plural of "y'all" is "all y'all." And we go to a barber shop to get our harket.

Michael, that also applies to gestures as well?  Different from the rest of the country which is not Texas? ;)

• Confused 1

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Heaven forbid. Fine bunch of, er, chaps. Luggage Porters, on the other hand....

And, I still love MASH the movie, and especially that quote.

I looked up redcap porters and it seems they are associated with AMTRAK. I swear I've seen them at Airports in old American films? 

• Haha 2

5am and with torrential rain rattling on the eaves I couldn't sleep so an unnaturally early post today...

On 6/25/2020 at 8:48 PM, bbudde said:

The only time I packed my bag for several neccessary things during a storm here, when it should come to severe damage.

Two powerful records Benedikt and my goodness the second of the two is just staggering to behold, almost sublime - such frozen violence looks more like the cloud decks of Jupiter than a terrestrial skyscape in the way that lightning illuminates the contorted forms.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:51 PM, CedB said:

Reminds me of one of my favourite Larson cartoons:

😁 Brilliant Ced! (At least with a dog you don't get that feline hauteur that cats give you in such situations...)

On 6/26/2020 at 3:31 AM, Space Ranger said:

The part of town where I lived while attending school was heavily damaged, and the apartment complex where my wife and I later lived was obliterated; the remnants of it were shown in a color photo in Newsweek magazine.

I did some reading-up on that storm track/intensity MIchael and sobering doesn't cover it. Difficult for someone like me living in a 'temperate maritime' zone to comprehend such violence done by weather to lives.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, keefr22 said:

good to have been IT 'experts' in a previous life. eh Ced? Comes in very useful, doesn't it?!

'IT experts'?

Is that like some kind of clown exorcist Keith? 😱

Screen_Shot_2017_05_08_at_11.17.56_AM.0.png

On 6/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, 71chally said:

You have the pivot point right, the nose wheel leg doesn't pivot at its top due to how de Havilland designed the nose wheel steering equipment.  On the diagram it pivots on the point just above '56' and near '70',

Gotcha. :thanks:

On 6/26/2020 at 11:27 PM, Navy Bird said:

I thought we and the British were separated by a common language,

😁

That and a minor historical divergence in the matter of tea leaves Bill.

On 6/27/2020 at 12:54 AM, Aardvark said:

No understand, on RN/RAF aircraft size  wheel not indicated on rubber tires?

See 5th image from bottom for tyre data:

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

I would say you're there Tony

James - an awesome amount of detail in that post and bang on the money for current needs - many thanks indeed! :thumbsup:

This has let me correct my previously erroneous depiction for the upright section of the hook mount as a 'Welsh harp' to the actual triangular shape of the original now, as well as detailing the sides of the door more convincingly:

50052376143_127ff3e85e_b.jpg

Those gfx of the nosegear interiors of much better quality and variety than in my copy of the manuals James so invaluable in what follows⬇️

19 hours ago, F-4Guy said:

Having just come across this thread and gone through all the pages so far... well... All I can say is "marvelous job" !

Most kind my friend. :thanks:

5 hours ago, michaelc said:

surely sir, you are not denigrating the MPs??

This is an anarcho-syndicalist commune - we'll denigrate anything....

So as part of the process for rationalizing what's going on with the relative disposition of items associated with the nosegear installation, I began building a err....wheel and tyre:

50051439791_28b24b1fd0_b.jpg

The central 'boss' has been extended outward so that it meets the leg mounting, for assembly purposes:

The screenggrab below is posted just to give an idea of the scale of the parts involved and to indicate where certain compromises need to be made regarding areas like the 'lip' around the edge which, in order to print successfully, has been widenened slightly (by 'slightly' I mean by about 0.1mm) compared to the original. Working down at this scale you're always facing the need to balance the triumvirate of scale accuracy, structural strrength, and resolving power of the modelling medium:

50051439901_9a99bb6926_b.jpg

The axle for this part has been left hollow so that the wheel can be printed separately from the leg and a brass pin used to lock it into place after painting:

50051689877_8d49c3e00d_b.jpg

Lateral bar and mid-section of oleo added:

50051689922_cbcacbd430_b.jpg

The pivot points where the oleo is mounted to the fuselage and that for the radius arm are left simplified here for mounting purposes as they'll be tucked away from sight within the wheel well - to receive them I'll add a couple of sockets into the nose section interior once I'm happy that everything is correctly aligned.

Radius arm added:

50051439831_81bd36dab2_b.jpg

Again - largely hidden inside the structure so thickened for strength.

One thing about this way of working is that to an engineering novice such as myself, there's a lot of pleasure to be gained from slowly starting to understand how the parts of an actual aircraft are designed to perform very specific functions in relation to one another.

Wheel and leg:

50051689957_ba2bb16023_b.jpg

Top section of the oleo is way taller than the actual one as I'm using it extended as a vertical mounting for the gear:

50050869338_1e3bd46f8d_b.jpg

I haven't built the nosegear doors yet, which, as James has noted previously are a somewhat complicated 3-way affair necessitated bythe 'setback' of the oleo from the front of the well:

50051689962_e0f2790f6f_b.jpg

50052505788_d3213cfe43_b.jpg

I did add a virtual axis along the cylinder for the leg pivot and so that whilst designing the nosegear I was able to rotate it as per the original in order to check that I had the interior shape/dimensioning of the well correct for it to retract into.

Thanks for looking-in and I hope you have a good Sunday.

:bye:

Tony

PS. Our usually nocturnal garden resident Hedgus Hoggerington was out early last evening between showers:

50052252233_35a4ffc399_c.jpg

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I looked up redcap porters and it seems they are associated with AMTRAK. I swear I've seen them at Airports in old American films? 

"Skycaps", perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50052252233_35a4ffc399_c.jpg

Lovely, the early 'hog catches the wet slug. (s)

I am loving that nose gear detail Tony, thank gods James didn't give me so much of that when I did my froggyvix.
I'd still be trying to 'catch the look'...

Fabbuloso Mr Horne, oh look it is Sunday.

Is Round The Horne still on Sundays?

The Navy Lark?

Do Sundays matter in a world beset by a distinctly secular virus one wonders?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, perdu said:

Is Round The Horne still on Sundays?

The Navy Lark?

Round the Horne is trollin' in on Fridays at present, while The Navy Lark weighs anchor on Mondays.

BBC Radio 4 Extra. One of those digital stations, found on modern DAB radios, telly boxes and the interwebs, where you’ll also find the Goon Show and Hancock's Half Hour, occasional reruns of Take It From Here, and many other classic comedies from the days of wireless.

Bona.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Lovely, the early 'hog catches the wet slug. (s)

They're a dapper little thing aren't they Bill? And makes the most enormous but endearing snuffling sound for such a small creature when out on the hunt for nosh.

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Do Sundays matter in a world beset by a distinctly secular virus one wonders?

I guess if you're a bishop you're used to building up to this as the highlight of the week - in the absence of pulpit action I presume most of them are hammering away at COD on the Xbox in the vestry....

In terms of aviation reading, Mr Derry's biography (Bullen & Rivas) arrived during the week, which I'm naturally looking forwards to, along with an unusual little volume - at least for being published in 1943 - called Vertical Warfare, by Francis Vivian Drake. Unusual in the sense that it not only contains many combat/reconnaissance photographs (most of which I've not seen reproduced elsewhere in print or online) but surprisingly (given what it reveals about allied capabilities) detailed discussions of RAF/USAF strategy and photo-interpretation thereof. It was published in New York so I guess censorship was a more circumspect affair for the domestic market there?

At present though I'm just starting Robert Macfarlane's Underland which has been sitting accusingly on the 'to read' table in the bedroom all year. Two chapters in and already deliriously transported by ideas as much as places.

Fortified by more pancakes than I care to admit to for a late breakfast, I took advantage of the resultant carb/sugar rush to attend to outstanding nosegear tasks left over from yesterday. First to go under the cursor were the three sections for nosewheel doors:

50053424543_8fcd7800b9_b.jpg

I hadn't noticed before the different profile for the small front door (the one with the taxying and approach lamps embedded) where it rotates to the vertical, so amended the outline for both it and the opening in the fuselage as seen above. The middle door is fixed to the oleo leg of course but to allow fitting of the front and rear ones, much like a normal kit I've added a few 'shelves' in strategic locations to enable them to be glued into place after painting:

50054002796_458e0876b5_b.jpg

In terms of fixing the middle door to the undercarriage structure (as they'll be printed separately and joined later), I added some mounting holes to both the leg and the door:

50054250957_350e513350_b.jpg

- so that some small lengths of brass rod can be used to glue them firmly into place like so - again after paint:

50054002781_c02b04a69b_b.jpg

Recesses for the lamps/lights were also added to the front door at this point:

50054250917_2780d4bb2d_b.jpg

The two taxying lamps I'll use my usual metal foil and transparent medium method for - the deck approach light in the centre I'll make from some coloured transparency. I'm aware these lighting arrangements do vary, though from the bulk of my photographic refs this arrangement here sees standard for an operational FAW.1 such as XN708. As to XJ481, I note that as currently fitted at Yeovilton, she seems to have three of those tearsdrop shaped lights fitted to her front door instead; having checked multiple shots of her in Martel trials livery back in the day however this wasn't the case and the arrangement seen above was also used.

Lateral view of progress with some transparency:

50054002851_27e6eaf976_b.jpg

I'm aware that at this scale, the necessary thickness of the front and middle doors compromises the visual separation you see between them on the real thing. It does of course make for a useful matrix of parts at the gluing stage but if I find I'm too irked by it, then brass provides a sensible fallback position later on. Best thing to do is a test print of all the various parts like thisin order eyeball them for effect as physical entities.

Last shot for today:

50054002801_5af41ceab5_b.jpg

Still need to put some locating sockets in the well for oleo/radius pivots and then time to move on. My heart want to get stuck into the radaome/radar/cockpit now of course but my head says to do the various wing fairings, ailerons and open out the engine bays first. Block out all the main surface areas first before getting lost in the rabbit hole of interior work.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

Good choice with the door selection, as you've noted the twin taxi lamp set up was used on XJ481 in service, and was the most common fit on FAW.1s.  The centre deck approach light was amber.

This being hyper fussy, and I think you've mentioned about various irregularities, the nose wheel well cutout when viewed from the underside is narrower where the gear leg protrudes. This is the portion covered by the little door attached to the upper leg, you can see the fwd hinged door tapers to it slightly.  Four doors to cover the nose wheel bay, I think DH might have had issues with this somewhere along the line!

There was also a different design of the larger door fixed to the leg, but I think it was only on very early aircraft,

43450B3A00000578-0-image-a-96_1502793494

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Some more info, tell me if it gets too much

Quite the opposite James -these drawings are revelatory compared to the manuals I've got. :thanks:

I realize I haven't understood that forward small door/fairing relationship at all well and will revisit.

• Like 2

Absolutely mind-boggling work again, Tony This just gets better and better!

Those drawings are very interesting indeed. I had no idea that the drag stay was locked straight in both extended and retracted positions, only folding during retraction/extension. I had assumed that it was straight only when extended, and would fold when retracted. 

Ian

• Like 2