Matchbox Mojo Restorer

Sabrejet

Brass tube MG's in place of the raised detail on the kit (which I've now ground away):

23 (14)

And finally some paint!

24 (3)

24 (5)

24 (6)

24 (7)

And because of the way I want to assemble this kit, the first decals. Put the belly tank on too. I do like the contrast of olive drab and colour on this aircraft:

25 (2)

25 (1)

• Like 12

On 27/10/2018 at 04:55, Bill.B said:

1/72 spark plugs? That’s just insane! This is a fascinating build so I’ll tag along, watch & learn.

BTW, to thwart the carpet monster I use an old white bedsheet laid out on the floor under my work bench, that way small parts (usually PE) can’t disappear down in the pile of the carpet, they simply lay on top. 

RE: carpet monster thwarting. I’ve taken to wearing one of these https://www.misupplies.co.uk/clothing-c12/mens-workwear-c635/aprons-tunics-c508/carhartt-102483-duck-apron-p49164?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2sCj4c7C3gIVCud3Ch0BIQLoEAAYASAAEgL3JfD_BwE umpteen pockets to stash tools in, keeps paint off the clothes and handily when sat down it seems to catch everything that has plummeted earthwards off the bench. Highly recommended

• Thanks 1

So on to the wings and things. Big ejector pin mark filled in the top wing (underside luckily), and bomb carrier holes filled on the lower wings. Also I added two backing plates from hole-punched plastic card to the main wheel axle:

27 (2)

And some paint on too..Lower wing filled holes look OK

27 (8)

27 (10)

27 (11)

Wheels, axle and backing plates painted & decals applied:

27 (19)

And final bit for today - the new engine won't fit the cowling, so I've added two inserts from plastic card. Hopefully these will shape OK once the glue is set:

27 (25)

Next job will be wings on and rigging :) 

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

... the new engine won't fit the cowling, so I've added two inserts from plastic card. Hopefully these will shape OK once the glue is set:

27 (25)

I'm curious how this is going to work out. I was hoping to use my spare Small Stuff engines for a couple of P-26 Peashooters in my stash, but their cowls are a hair too small, also, just like yours. 

• Like 1

Well (and for info @billn53), this is how I'm looking at doing the cowling. No guarantees it will work, but no harm trying (unless it all goes awfully wrong). I;ve sanded back those extension bits and then taken a channel out of the inside surface using a Dremel and router thingy. This is where the rocker covers on the engine will locate, and hopefully if it's big enough they'll gently locate the whole thing...

29 (1)

Bit more shaping on the outside, trying to continue the curvature around the periphery:

29 (2)

29 (3)

And then join them together and add lots of glue. At this stage it looks like an elongated 'O' in front view, but that's to be expected.

29 (4)

Secret Weapon 1: a pen, with Tamiya tape wound around it to the desired diameter (the external diameter of the new engine, more or less), and while the glue was still tacky, wedge the newly-modified cowling on as tight as possible, while also winding tape around the outside, to hold it all together (I hope). In fairness it all looks like it's still joined-up under the tape, so I will be leaving this overnight to get rock hard.

29 (5)

And if it still wants to assume an elongated 'O' shape, then tomorrow I will use eldest's snooker cue (as a nicely-tapered former) and wifey's hair dryer and beat it into submission!

One final bit before I get the tea on: I managed to drill a 0.4mm hole in the y-shaped exhaust bit (all the other cylinders are straight-through exhausts, but one pair on the LH side have this y-shaped piece in order to duct hot air to the carburettor).

30 (6)

Then paint, and ready for engine on tomorrow and hopefully that cowling will fit!

30 (8)

• Like 8

Well the good news is that it seems to have worked! I was a bit impatient to wait til tomorrow so went and had a look. The combination of inserts and persuasion over a former plus allowing the glue to dry has given me a pretty perfectly circular cowl, but bigger in diameter. Chuffed as a chuffed thing. In fact I think I added a bit too much to my inserts and the new-size cowl slid over the new engine a bit too easily. So I've taken a 1-2mm slice out of one insert and glued it back together. Should be ready to go for tomorrow with luck and a following wind.

Photos to follow tomorrow.  Final hurdle overcome.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

It will make the Airfix Hellcat reveal look like a pile of poo. 😜

Errr ...... I thought it already did! 😏

Seriously though, that cowling work is superb, hope it works out come the reveal.

Terry

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Well the good news is that it seems to have worked! I was a bit impatient to wait til tomorrow so went and had a look. The combination of inserts and persuasion over a former plus allowing the glue to dry has given me a pretty perfectly circular cowl, but bigger in diameter. Chuffed as a chuffed thing. In fact I think I added a bit too much to my inserts and the new-size cowl slid over the new engine a bit too easily. So I've taken a 1-2mm slice out of one insert and glued it back together. Should be ready to go for tomorrow with luck and a following wind.

Photos to follow tomorrow.  Final hurdle overcome.

Glad that worked out. Sorry for doubting your skill.

Chris

• Like 1