More on Airfix 2017

Denford

I agree regarding the Airfix Phantom. I've managed to acquire three of Fujimi's lovely kits, however will probably still buy one Airfix Phantom just because of all the available opened options. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 1:13 PM, Paul Bradley said:

Not so fast, young Grasshopper!

That is the art for the catalogue cover. The Phantom kit will have something different that Mr. Tooby is currently working on. It will have to be good to beat the Sea Hurricane art, which is stunning and I would like to have framed over the mantelpiece.

• Like 3

The real reason for Airfix slowing their output a bit is nothing to do with money. Actually our SWMBOs have been mounting a letter campaign about the steady erosion of space in the family home. The plan is that we get to build some of the backlog. Silly People!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, T7 Models said:

That is the art for the catalogue cover. The Phantom kit will have something different that Mr. Tooby is currently working on. It will have to be good to beat the Sea Hurricane art, which is stunning and I would like to have framed over the mantelpiece.

ooh I hope its on or over a carrier for the Phantom :D

Do I really need to read the 22 pages to learn about the "new" A6M?

Rebox or else?

I find Airfix far from being clear on this matter, I mean with all their production.

You really have to pay attention before buying anything from them, as you might end up with carbon 14 dated sprues instead of brand new ones.

2 hours ago, T7 Models said:

It will have to be good to beat the Sea Hurricane art, which is stunning and I would like to have framed over the mantelpiece.

Stop teasing  :frantic:

............ can you do a link to the Sea Hurricane art work please:Tasty:

Dick

Edited by jenko

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

The real reason for Airfix slowing their output a bit is nothing to do with money. Actually our SWMBOs have been mounting a letter campaign about the steady erosion of space in the family home. The plan is that we get to build some of the backlog. Silly People!

Something like the old temperance movement where masses of women would swarm through the streets beating drums and carrying banners is it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jenko said:

Stop teasing  :frantic:

............ can you do a link to the Sea Hurricane art work please:Tasty:

Dick

Sadly, not at the moment, as Airfix have not yet released it. But it is gorgeous, he added, reveling in the knowledge that for once he knows something others do not.:tease:

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Do I really need to read the 22 pages to learn about the "new" A6M?

Rebox or else?

I find Airfix far from being clear on this matter, I mean with all their production.

You really have to pay attention before buying anything from them, as you might end up with carbon 14 dated sprues instead of brand new ones.

Why not use some logic and common sense? Airfix issued a new Zero three or four years ago; you think they'll bring out another one already?

50 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

Sadly, not at the moment, as Airfix have not yet released it. But it is gorgeous, he added, reveling in the knowledge that for once he knows something others do not.:tease:

Swine   :pig:    :bleh::bleh:       :whistle:

2 hours ago, T7 Models said:

Why not use some logic and common sense? Airfix issued a new Zero three or four years ago; you think they'll bring out another one already?

Logic and common sense?

I'm French, you know.

5 minutes ago, I didn't even know how to write it.

Please forgive me for not knowing the release year of the current A6M box

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Logic and common sense?

I'm French, you know.

5 minutes ago, I didn't even know how to write it.

Please forgive me for not knowing the release year of the current A6M box

Personally I am using scalemates to find out about reboxed kits and such. It's very helpful.

22 minutes ago, Botan said:

Personally I am using scalemates to find out about reboxed kits and such. It's very helpful.

Thanks, I know  about Scalemates but I also know about Britmodeller forum, where you can ask questions straightaway after reading a given info, and most of the time obtain a polite and helpful answer.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Thanks, I know  about Scalemates but I also know about Britmodeller forum, where you can ask questions straightaway after reading a given info, and most of the time obtain a polite and helpful answer.

Sorry, I was thinking you do not know it.

Anyway, I'm content with 2017 catalogue.

North American B25C/D Mitchell is a must buy

Aside that I still have to buy a Swordfish, and having one from Taranto battle and with torpedo is nice. Italian camouflage for Stuka isn't a new thing, Italeri also had it, but I haven't bought it, so there Airfix go for me. Italian nightfighter Bf-110 sounds like a great idea, but I rather buy Eduard kit for it and try to get decals from second hand.

2 minutes ago, Botan said:

Aside that I still have to buy a Swordfish, and having one from Taranto battle and with torpedo is nice.

Yes, I'm the same. Never built one or even had one in the stash. I'll only ever build one so I think it has to have a torpedo and be from Taranto or possibly the Bismarck action. Not sure if aftermarket decals exist for the latter. But anyway, the new boxing will do nicely.

10 minutes ago, IanC said:

Yes, I'm the same. Never built one or even had one in the stash. I'll only ever build one so I think it has to have a torpedo and be from Taranto or possibly the Bismarck action. Not sure if aftermarket decals exist for the latter. But anyway, the new boxing will do nicely.

I was also thinking about Floatplane Swordfish based on HMS Warspite during Norwegian Campaign. DP Casper makes decals for those, but one from Taranto takes a priority.

At 1152 hours WARSPITE catapulted one of her Swordfish floatplanes, L9767, flown by PO F C Rice, Lt Cdr W L M Brown and L/A M G Pacey, for reconnaissance duties and with orders to bomb any suitable targets. (During her sortie the Swordfish located U 64 at anchor off Bjerkvik in Herjangs Fjord in position 68-29N, 17-30E. U 64 was dive bombed and two 100lb ASW bombs were dropped on U 64, one of which hit her bow and sinking U 64. This was the first U-boat sunk by the FAA)

Source

Edited by Botan

As far as a 72nd scale zero is concerned , get the tamiya kit guys if you are not familiar with the same . It is perfection in kit form , I have almost finished my first and it is a bargain for the 10 or 11$ it cost me (plus shipping from the Japanese hobby sites ) .  I believe the airfix costs about same and I have built that in the past too , and while that is a fine kit indeed , it appears like a toy next to my miniature zero which I will convince everyone I shrunk by Harry Potter magic :D .  

BTW , regarding the swordfish , is the floatplane sprue included even in the wheeled version or do I need to purchase a floatplane specific box for the same ? 

5 minutes ago, Basuroy said:

BTW , regarding the swordfish , is the floatplane sprue included even in the wheeled version or do I need to purchase a floatplane specific box for the same ? 

After comparing inboxes here and here I can say, that you have to buy a floatplane specific box.

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1

But why no Dogfight Doubles in the 2017 line up????????

Yes it is up to Uncle Dick to ask the hard questions again! :D

Might have to settle for some surprise "anniversary gift sets" then :)

On that basis 1942 would be the year making it the 75th Anniversaries

What would you like to see in a:

Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary gift set?  (I do not know of any dog fights in this raid) so may be 2 or 3 B-25 in the one box? :P

B-25 + ? + ? ...

Operation Torch 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + ? + ? ...

Battle for Guadalcanal 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + Wildcat + Zero + Kate + US Marines + Jap Infantry + Willys Jeep + LCVP + (no cannot afford this gift set with any more additions)

Battle for Stalingrad 75th Anniversary Gift Set

Soviet B-25 + ? + ? ...

Battle for El Alamein 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + ? + ? ...

Operation Cerberus (Channel Dash) 75th Anniversary Gift Set

RAF B-25 + RAF B-17 (Yes I know of no accounts of RAF B-25 or B-17 in this operation but what the hell we need some RAF decals) + String Bag + Spit + Bf109 + FW190 + E boat + RAF rescue Launch + oh bugger I can't afford this ruddy gift set anymore!

Battle of Midway 75th Anniversary Gift Set

Visiting B-25 :P + Early version B-17 (surprise new tool modification) + all the usual suspects

Battle for Milne Bay 75th Anniversary Gift Set 

DUCTH NEIAF B-25 (Add usual caveat for all you politically correct numpties) + RAAF Beaufighter (Excluisve parts release:)) +...

Battle for the Aleutians 75th Anniversary Gift Set 

B-25 + Early B-17 + (another new tool surprise for 2017 a RUFE) +...

Battle for the Bismark Sea 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + Early B-17 + ...

Battle for Bataan 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + Early B-17 + ...

Operation Jubilee (Dieppe Raid) 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 (usual caveat for politically correct numpties) + usual suspects

Queens Silver Jubilee 40th Anniversary Gift Set

RAF Historic Flight B-25 + Royal Navy Phantom + ...

+ many more gift set options (did you notice that each gift set must have the B-25? :wub: :D ?)

• Like 7

One obvious problem there old chap - the new B-25 is unlikely to appear in time for any of those anniversary dates!! 

Nice enough list though.. and I can see a fair bit of effort gone in. I would have bet heavily that this years Mitchell would have at least had one set of Doolittle raiders decals - however not to be. 

Cheers.. Dave 

33 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

+ many more gift set options (did you notice that each gift set must have the B-25? :wub: :D ?)

And in 2018, it's the 50th anniversary of the making of the Battle of Britain film (released in 1969). Any guesses as to the camera aircraft?

.. OK, time's up!

Yes, a B-25!

So there's an opportunity for a "Making of the Battle of Britain Film" gift set, with every mark of Spitfire that Airfix makes, Hurricanes, and ......a B-25.

Kevin

• Like 4

The BBMF in their latest Facebook photo post today have provided the clue to the next Gift Set Option.......

And of the Airfix releases for 2017, count me in for the Walrus, Sea Fury, RAAF Meteor F.8, 1/48 P-51 Mustang (would very much like an accurate new mould Mustang Mk.I), maybe another of the P-40 B/C (already got two of them with one well under construction). and still hoping for a 1/48th Spitfire FR.XIVe - please Mr Airfix!!

Edited by ColFord
Extra
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KevinK said:

And in 2018, it's the 50th anniversary of the making of the Battle of Britain film (released in 1969). Any guesses as to the camera aircraft?

.. OK, time's up!

Yes, a B-25!

So there's an opportunity for a "Making of the Battle of Britain Film" gift set, with every mark of Spitfire that Airfix makes, Hurricanes, and ......a B-25.

Kevin

LOL :lol:

On 02/01/2017 at 11:03 AM, IanC said:

The old M4 Sherman trundles on...

From 1961 to who knows when.

God bless it. Surely time to retire? :lol:

What have they called it this year?  Is it an M4A2 again or are we back to M4 yet?  :hmmm:

If they tooled up for a new Sherman V (M4A4) and also a Firefly turret in 1/72 right now, they'd clean up (their only competition is UM's not very good at all effort and Dragon's not even slightly reasonably priced offerings).....Not to mention that they could keep on selling it until, by my estimation, at least 2073.  :mellow:

• Like 3