Battle of Britain Hall RAF Hendon

HL-10

I went to Hendon with SWMBO last year. I, as the aircraft geek, was enthralled at some of the rarities on offer. She however, has declared it '****', and if I want to go back I can do so alone. This is a woman who will happily have a day out at Cosford or Duxford any time.

Hendons setup seems to be something of a turn off, and ultimately, pleasing the masses of casual visitors rather than the few die-hards is what keeps the site ticking over.

As an aside, its 50 points to whoever can guess which aircraft when spotted at Duxford made her scream 'SPACESHIP!!!' across the hanger at me...

It was a huge mistake when the RAFM shut the side galleries, that was where the human side of the RAF had been on display. It's now just a big shed full of aeroplanes which I could agree is not what the majority of females find exciting.

• Like 4

As an aside, its 50 points to whoever can guess which aircraft when spotted at Duxford made her scream 'SPACESHIP!!!' across the hanger at me...

TSR.2? :whistle:

It was a huge mistake when the RAFM shut the side galleries, that was where the human side of the RAF had been on display. It's now just a big shed full of aeroplanes which I could agree is not what the majority of females find exciting.

Agreed. The context is as important, otherwise the aircraft are nothing.

Was it the 'Virgin' high altitude balloon capsule - one of Richard (sorry, SIR Richard) Branson's developments?

Does anyone know WHY RAFM Hendon closed those galleries? As Aeronut rightly says, it did show the human side of the Royal Air Force - quite apart from giving a good view of at least some of the exhibits in the main hall.

This is a very interesting thread.

To give everyone another point-of-view, two years ago I walked around Hendon with an Aussie mate and he made this comment: "Back home, we don't give our historic aircraft even half of the respect I'm seeing here". I think he was very impressed with what he saw.

From that perspective, maybe Hendon isn't all that bad...?

When you consider we have Duxford, Hendon, Cosford, Shuttleworth and a number of privately-funded aviation museums in the UK, maybe we are doing reasonably well when it comes to preserving our aviation heritage (but there is always room for improvement, as we all know).

Chris.

I had a similar experience when visiting with a Polish friend who is heavily into German aircraft, he never knew of Hendon's collection of WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft and had only ever dreamt of ever seeing a Stuka, He 111 or Me 111 amongst others.

What is evident in this thread is the quaint British habit of denigrating our own country. The UK is one of the best in the world at preserving aviation heritage, from big museums like Hendon and Cosford down to tiny operations like the 'Carperbagger' museum. We now have a centre that is teaching automotive and aviation restoration located on the best preserved ex-RAF station in the country (Bicester). Go to most other European countries and the level of preservation is tiny in comparison.

Yes, there could be improvements to some of the museums - nothing's perfect after all - but the way some of you harp on it's like we rank behind Mozambique in terms of aircraft preservation.

• Like 3

When I first visited Hendon in the seventies it was a fantastic experience as it covered all historical aspects of the RAF. The demise of the Beverly was a disgrace and should have been dismantled and put in store until it could be housed properly at a later date. The artifacts displayed in the side galleries were spot on and although time moves on it is no good trying to reinvent the wheel. Now I know that the collection would only get bigger, but they already had a good blueprint with the existing buildings, so why such a grandiose design for the bomber hall? It is thr RAF museum and the aircraft should if appropriate to type be in RAF colours. What's wrong with a 100 group B17 or SEAC B24? The American museum at Duxford is a fine example to the memory of their sacrifice and effort and when you have little budget to go round it's worth remembering Hendon and Cosford are windows into the history of probably the finest air force in the world ( sorry Carlsburg).

Good point. As I remarked on an earlier thread, the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry did the same thing in their aircraft hall, and now it's just a moderately large shed containing aeroplanes but with the display padded out with cars and motorcycles. Hendon is, after all, the Royal Air Force Museum, not simply an aircraft museum.

• Like 1

As one of the original cradle's of British Military Aviation, there is much to be said for moving the RAF Museum to the area of Larkhill/Upavon. There are already a significant number of visitors to the area because of Stonehenge, and with the right approach a relocated RAF Musuem could be integrated into many existing tour packages in the area.

Peter

Does anyone know WHY RAFM Hendon closed those galleries? As Aeronut rightly says, it did show the human side of the Royal Air Force - quite apart from giving a good view of at least some of the exhibits in the main hall.

I did query this some yers ago and totally agree that these areas were vital,....I was told that the museum did not have the manpower to patrol them and that they had been having some vandalism problems,......obviously from scumbags! I would gladly pay to visit Hendon as this could pay for more manpower and put off the low lives who just see Hendon as a free day out with the kids. Hendon has been very dumbed down to cater for this audience too if you ask me.

As for the B-25,.....it should be in RAF markings,......or even in Free Dutch or Free French markings to celebrate the allies who flew alongside us in WW2. I have written to a few previous directors with this suggestion but never received an answer and I have also asked if the B-17 could be painted as a 100 Gp or a Coastal Command Fortress Mk.III,.....after all there are two USAAF marked ones up the road at Duxford,.....but again,.....nothing!

I personally think that Hendon has a long way to go to get back to where it was in the 1980`s.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Boom!! Fifty points.

I'm feeling awkward that my game is starting to hijack an informative thread so i'm gonna move on now...

We all knew what you meant anyway and were just playing you along!

• Like 1

I understood the policy of the RAF Museum was for each aircraft to be finished in an authentic scheme. Not authentic to the type in general, but authentic to the specific airframe.

Cheers,

Bill.

Regarding the Beverly it was right under their noses and I don't think the museum authorities did enough to save it. Just reminding us that it was rotten is no excuse, one could say that for that poor Halifax ll.

Regarding the Beverly it was right under their noses and I don't think the museum authorities did enough to save it. Just reminding us that it was rotten is no excuse, one could say that for that poor Halifax ll.

I see your point there, but there is a bit of gritty reality to that Halifax, a reminder of what these airframes on display were subject to. Saying that, with something so rare as a Halifax theres good argument for it being restored.

I'm afraid the Halifax can never be restored because the metal is delaminating. The time for action was when it was initially recovered and preservation techniques were not as advanced in those days. To see how far things have come since then, look at the restorations in Norway.

Sad, but managed decline is the order of the day.

Trevor

• Like 1

I see your point there, but there is a bit of gritty reality to that Halifax, a reminder of what these airframes on display were subject to. Saying that, with something so rare as a Halifax theres good argument for it being restored.

I'm afraid the Halifax can never be restored because the metal is delaminating. The time for action was when it was initially recovered and preservation techniques were not as advanced in those days. To see how far things have come since then, look at the restorations in Norway.

Sad, but managed decline is the order of the day.

Trevor

I read in IIRC, in "Restoring Museum Aircraft" By Robert Mikesh (of the Smithsonian)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Restoring-Museum-Aircraft-Mikesh-Hardcover/dp/B011W9QHF4

The book is a very interesting read, and discusses the various considerations in restoration and preservation.

It said that the Halifax was not restored as to do so would have effectively turned it into a replica, and thus was displayed as recovered.

As it was recovered from fresh water I'm not sure about the metal delaminating, (any links on this?) but it is a powerful display as it is, especially the burnt out metal skinning on the severed wing.

One thing that would be good would be models of other schemes, or in the case of the Halifax,ones showing what it would have looked like in service.

the last time I went my daughter was 3 and a half, and she loved the Jet Provost cockpit for children to play in and walking through the Sunderland, (after some trepidation)

cheers

T