1/72 Airfix Do17Z & Defiant Dogfight Double - or A Rake's Work in Progress - Pic Heavy

Thanks for your input chaps, I already repainted the Dark Green sections, it will need another coat but it is worth doing, like I said if I hadn't repainted it I would have wished I had every time I looked at it.

Funny thing is the Dark Green looked okay on its own, but when the Black-Green was added it suddenly started looking - as noted above - like RLM02... curious.

Ced, it did occur to me that my mental idea of what RLM70/71 was based on the Phoenix colours which I had been using for a while and which I was perhaps unconsciously using as my yardstick, but as it was it didn't look right to me and I wasn't the only one, so I've changed it to something I am happier with.

MG, thanks for the idea, but I don't hang about once I get the bit between my teeth and have already repainted a first coat of Dark Green :hobbyhorse:

Cheers,

Stew (who is thoroughly hacked off with Interlink, who got paid nearly £7 to deliver my Gunze paints today and who came and went without delivering them and without even knocking - I saw him arrive and leave moments later - and have now listed my delivery on their website as "Parcel Refused" as if the whole thing was my fault :fuyou_2: )

(Edit - it wasn't Interlink's fault; they were given the wrong delivery address - No.63 instead of 65 - by the sender; I am glad I went for mildly annoyed in my complaint to them rather than weapons-grade sarcastic which was my instinctive choice... )

• Like 7

Looks a lot like RLM 70/02 splinter to me. Do 17 Zerstörer - yum yum! V-P

I was about to make the same observation. You've not had good luck with acrylics so far, Stew. But conversely, only the unavailability of these vaunted Phoenix Precision enamels over here has prevented me from foolishly dipping my toes in those solvent-laden waters.

• Like 1

Love enamel's but they take so much time and stink out my house which is a shame, so acrylics for me!

Irrespective of the colour issues (which are the fault of the manufacture really) your paint work looks great! Odd that you don't like acrylics, they appear to like you (maybe its your bad feeling towards them that is making them change shade? Love them more!?)

It will be good to see how its turned out with the repaint, did you use enamel or did you mix the acrylics?

Rob

• Like 2

I was about to make the same observation. You've not had good luck with acrylics so far, Stew. But conversely, only the unavailability of these vaunted Phoenix Precision enamels over here has prevented me from foolishly dipping my toes in those solvent-laden waters.

No it's like acrylics don't want me to use them I tells ya :badmood: oh lovely lovely Phoenix enamels, I will never be unfaithful to you again :heart:

Love enamel's but they take so much time and stink out my house which is a shame, so acrylics for me!

Irrespective of the colour issues (which are the fault of the manufacture really) your paint work looks great! Odd that you don't like acrylics, they appear to like you (maybe its your bad feeling towards them that is making them change shade? Love them more!?)

It will be good to see how its turned out with the repaint, did you use enamel or did you mix the acrylics?

Rob

You make a good point amongst some duds there Rob :lol: - I usually use cellulose thinners with enamels which does reduce the drying time substantially but ups the stink to industrial levels - for the repaint I have brush-painted the enamels with ordinary thinners, hardly any stink at all. I got very nice results with spraying the AK paints, they are very good quality paints indeed, but I just don't like that RLM71. And I just can't bring myself to fake it :innocent:

Wow Simon, just saw your pics; you've gone for the hardcore vent, I was originally only thinking of sticking the pipe out of the window but it was pretty cold back then and I couldn't be bothered, since then I've just sort of used it as a paint-trap :nuke:

Cheers,

Stew

... so with two uncompleted kits on the go - Dornier 1 has more or less its full set of decals (including stencilling) applied, which have been Micro-Sol'd to within an inch of their lives and await a coat of Klear to seal them; Dornier 2 has had the Dark Green repainted to my satisfaction and awaits a fresh coat of Black-Green - I feel the time is now right to start a third kit :thumbsup:

... what? :huh:

It's the aggressor half of the Dogfight Double set, the fearsome Boulton-Paul Defiant :sheep:

DSCN2602.jpg

I'm hoping for a reasonably quick and straightforward build, it's a nicely engineered kit and the retracted undercarriage will simplify things still further. I de-sprued and prepared the interior parts for a coat of Interior Grey-Green:

DSCN2603.jpg

... which I will attend to this evening.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Hi Rob,

Yes in addition to my own issues there was a bit of a conflab about colours on Procopius' 109 build thread which you will have seen no doubt... in any case I am going with the Phoenix enamels from the outset for the Defiant; for all the argument and counter-claim about the validity of colours the simple fact of the matter for me is that if you don't think it is right you don't do yourself any favours leaving it if it is going to bug you each time you see the model in future.

Right, wrong or both, the Phoenix colours look believable to me and that's all I care about.

As for the assembly, I don't recall any particular issues with the Defiant, the canopy framing and the undercart being the most time-consuming part of the build and I only have to do one of those this time round :D

Cheers,

Stew

Stew your bob on, opinions are great and so is knowledge and its why forums exist. But if you are unhappy with how something looks its you that has to look at it everyday and (unfortunately in my case) not us!

Can't wait for the little legs poking out the turret

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Well we've eaten our vegetables (Dorniers) and now time for dessert (Defiant).

Thanks for taking one for the team on the Hataka paints Stew. I agree with you about enamels vs acrylics, just did an entire paint session with enamels yesterday, and it was bliss.

• Like 1

Well Stew you're living up to your name with the build simmering away with all the required ingredients sourced from a mighty stock and soon to be devoured by our eyes.

Thanks TW :lol: - :huh: have you been swigging the thinners again? :D

Stew your bob on, opinions are great and so is knowledge and its why forums exist. But if you are unhappy with how something looks its you that has to look at it everyday and (unfortunately in my case) not us!

Can't wait for the little legs poking out the turret

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob, I trust you won't have to wait too long for the little legs :lol:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Defiant. :popcorn:

Thanks Stix, nice to have you along, I've been looking forward to doing one in the Temperate Land Scheme :)

I shall be following as what you did with the previous one(s) was great and I'm part way through a build at the moment.

Thank you Beard; aside from my weathering difficulties I don't remember any problems with the previous builds which means if there were any I will fall victim to them again as history repeats itself - stick around, it should be a laugh :lol:

Well we've eaten our vegetables (Dorniers) and now time for dessert (Defiant).

Thanks for taking one for the team on the Hataka paints Stew. I agree with you about enamels vs acrylics, just did an entire paint session with enamels yesterday, and it was bliss.

Thanks Cookie; like I said my unfamiliarity with acrylics might have been the root of some of the problems I had with the Hataka paints; the AK paints were lovely to use but that Dark Green... well... :unsure: ... at least with the enamels I can spray them without it being a massive drama and know that I will be happy with the outcome, plus I probably get a low-level buzz off the fumes or something ^_^

Anyway today's progress with gratuitous pictures follows... :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

While I was waiting for the interior parts glue to set I stuck the wings together, and tidied up the seams:

DSCN2612.jpg

Airfix very kindly provide a set of closed gear doors in one piece, with supports so you just drop them into the gear bays and...

DSCN2614.jpg

As they say in the orchestra: viola! The parts fit perfectly, no misaligned gear bay door issues for me; thank you Airfix ^_^

Then I painted the interior parts:

DSCN2622.jpg

that's it almost done, just need to sort out the instrument panel decal with some Micro-Sol and add the crew.

Crew details to follow shortly...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Now I think I owe Stephen (caseyjones) an apology because on the last Defiant build he asked how I painted the crew and I misunderstood the question and said I just sort of painted them, which probably sounded a bit flippant and annoying <_< - sorry about that. I will show stage by stage the painting of the crew starting here: Have you met the boys?

Crew_1.jpg

Sergeants Thorne and Barker. This is how they stack up against the Dornier's crew figures:

Crew_2.jpg

I should say I don't think the Dornier crew figures are bad, in fact I think they are quite good but they clearly aren't in the same league in terms of sculpted detail.

The Defiant crew got an all-over undercoat of Citadel Paints 'Ratskin Flesh':

Crew_3.jpg

... then the faces were 'shaded' with Citadel Wash 'Reikland Fleshshade':

Crew_4.jpg

... you can go fairly heavy with this stuff, as it will be at best barely noticeable once the canopy is fitted. The final stage of the face painting was a dry-brush of Citadel 'Bestigor Flesh' - mostly dry-brushed downward to preserve the 'shadows' but with a couple of horizontal swipes across the forehead and cheekbones daaaahling :heart:

Crew_5.jpg

That's as far as I have got with the crew, although I have dripped in a drop of liquid filler to alleviate the severe case of concave stomach both the boys are suffering from... next I will block in the basic uniform colours :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

Check the clear part for the gun turret. I bougth this kit last week at my LHS, only to discover that the turret suffers heavily from the infamous Airfix mould lines. A small section on one side was even short shot. Contacted Airfix for a replacemaent part, but unfortunately they answered that they are out of Defiant parts right now, so it will probably take some time before I get one.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1

Just what I need. :popcorn:

(Note: techniques not to be applied to hobbit pilots)

No not for little mal-moulded Frog pilots Ced, I didn't go to very much trouble with the Dornier crews either, there's no point trying to do a great deal of detail painting where there isn't any detail... your Frog Spitfire pilot is really only included in the kit to provide a representation of a presence in the cockpit and wouldn't really benefit from any fancy treatment :lol:

They had to be skinny to fit in that cockpit. Nice of you to go ahead and provide a step by step.

Yeah they are quite well proportioned but the pilot's feet have been streamlined for easy access. I think in real life Defiant gunners tended to be quite small and slight of build, just because they were best suited to actually fit in the turret (and presumably to have the best chance to get out of it in an emergency), not sure if the same applied to the pilots though... :hmmm:

Check the clear part for the gun turret. I bougth this kit last week at my LHS, only to discover that the turret suffers heavily from the infamous Airfix mould lines. A small section on one side was even short shot. Contacted Airfix for a replacemaent part, but unfortunately they answered that they are out of Defiant parts right now, so it will probably take some time before I get one.

Oof, sorry to hear that Sten... I just had a look at mine, there is a hairline across part of the turret but I had to wear magnifying glasses to see it so that doesn't really upset me, I might try painting it with Klear to see if that covers it up. Apart from that it appears to be moulded correctly. I get the impression that Airfix seriously underestimated how popular this kit would be and that's why they have no spares at present. Can your LHS help you out with a replacement from another kit?

Here is how the Boys ended up last night:

Crew_6.jpg

I mixed a rough-guess blue-grey for the uniforms, it is shaded with a darker version of the same colour but it doesn't really show in the picture. The helmets and gloves have been blocked in with dark brown, and the boots with very dark grey. I painted Sergeant Ted Thorn's shirt (light blue) and tie (dark grey) at this stage as the over-run will be easier to cover when I paint the Mae West. I also painted his moustache, which will need a trim if I am going to get all picky about it... (it wasn't a handlebar moustache, it was quite neat and tidy) Sergeant Fred Barker has had another putty infusion and his stomach is much improved; it does mean I will have to guess where the harness goes as the detail is obliterated, but in fact virtually everything below the shoulders will be below the turret internal 'shelf' so this isn't terribly important.

... and this morning's progress:

Crew_7.jpg

Starting from the top, silver for the goggles, sort of pale sandy colour for the goggle straps, harness undercoat and socks, light earth brown for the pilot's lifejacket undercoat and darker earth brown for the gunner's 'Rhino Suit' undercoat. Pilot's moustache still needs work :lol:

I hope I can get them both done today and close up the fuselage later on.

In related news, I see that both Peewit and Eduard have canopy mask sets in preparation; the Eduard one costing about almost a fiver (which is more than half the price of the standard boxing kit but reduced from the original advertised price, I do hope they are getting the message from lost sales, but this is still much too much for a sheet of pre-cut shapes which, as I understand it, once the initial expense of the cutter stamp is made, can be churned out ad infinitum)... the Peewit set is likely to be much cheaper, but misses out some of the smaller panes in the pilots canopy - it would be easy enough to make these yourself but if we are going down that road why not make the whole thing yourself? Well, because the turret mask looks pretty good and if the set is cheap enough you might consider it worth it for that. Finally a company called Pmask from Poland are listing a variety of what appear to be vinyl mask sets on Hannant's site, these are quite cheap, but no sign of a Defiant from them yet - there is amongst other things a Do17Z set for the Airfix kit though.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

No not for little mal-moulded Frog pilots Ced, I didn't go to very much trouble with the Dornier crews either, there's no point trying to do a great deal of detail painting where there isn't any detail... your Frog Spitfire pilot is really only included in the kit to provide a representation of a presence in the cockpit and wouldn't really benefit from any fancy treatment :lol:

Phew, thanks Stew!

OK, steps so far:

- get some strange primer stuff from the war gamer shop

- putty up any dents in stomach

- check have correct colours (check)

- apply tiny amounts of paint to tiny parts

Wow! Just when I thought I was going to be able to get somewhere close, just a little bit close, you go and paint a MOUSTACHE!

Oh, and where's that bottle of Mr Hobby incredible tiny modelling skill juice...

Brilliant Stew, just briliant.

• Like 3

Thank you Ced :)

The Boys are about finished now:

Crew_8.jpg

From the top, as I recall, it went: a blob of helmet-colour brown to represent the clear lenses of the goggles (infinitely easier than trying to paint the frames in silver around the edges), Ted's moustache cleared up as well as I can do it; his oxygen mask painted grey (they were sort of canvassy material, brown or grey, with a chamois cover over where the oxygen tube joined, I painted this in the Ratskin Flesh colour again because I can't remember exactly what colour chamois is... beige? Sandy? Mine is a kind of pinkish-brown anyway); lifejacket in yellow (at this stage of the BoB they were still being issued in natural canvas browny colour and were painted yellow by the crews with oil paint, possibly the same paint used for markings and propeller tips etc.); and parachute harness painted white. Fred got the goggles treatment and his Rhino Suit got a coat of lighter earth brown; I painted his harness white too though I think the parachute was actually attached directly to the Rhino Suit - I'm not sure about that though :hmmm:

Then... Ted gets a seat. Fred looks on enviously:

DSCN2646.jpg

So next that will be installed and the fuselage halves joined.

To update the progress of the other builds, Dornier 1 is decalled and awaiting a matt coat of varnish, which it will get at the same time as Dornier 2 which although still awaiting fitment of the landing gear, bomb-load, gear bay and bomb bay doors, is currently being decalled - those parts will be fitted afterwards as I decided I was more likely to break them off whilst handling it to attach the decals. The underside has been done, once I am happy they have had a chance to set I will start on the uppersurface decals.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 9