1/72 Airfix Do17Z & Defiant Dogfight Double - or A Rake's Work in Progress - Pic Heavy

I keep track of mine because, well, er, I don't know. I'm anal I guess. Plus, I made it public so everybody can share in my fiscal irresponsibility. :)

Stash

Not all of my books, decal sheets, photoetch, and resin have been catalogued. Someday.

Cheers,

Bill

Flipping heck bill good job you didn't put your address with it other wise you might have to increase "stash" security! (I am in no way implying that I would steal by saying that!) I would give my right leg for most of them... so if you need a right leg please pm me. You have impeccable aircraft taste. I will now look at mr p`s and start crying.

My stash is three mozzie`s a typhoon fw 190 and half built hampden

Stew this is looking great! But how snug is that cp, would not want to be in there when a well aimed bust from eight 303`s hit!!!

Looking great

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

I don't list all completions there, but my actual completions for 2014, 2013, and 2012 have been:

Ah, right! So that's, let me see, 8, 6, 7, carry 2... oh bu**er - lots!

I really do aspire to your build quality and variety. And sense of humour. And literary style.

I must try harder!

• Like 1

I've seen those, and I like the idea, but I hunger specifically for aircraft shot down, rather than captured as prizes of war.

Likewise, I'm limiting myself to aircraft that actually went down inside England during the Battle of Britain. Maybe a few exceptions if there was the odd pre-D-Day incursion from France across the channel but I don't think they launched many sorties after they gave up the air war. I am not, however, excluding aircraft that went down due to mechanical failure as I believe a Henschel and a Fiat did, if not others.

The more I think about it, the more I may just save my German and Romanian 109 decal sets for later, and start doing all the German ones in their RAF markings until I finish "recreating" No. 1426 Flight (in part, since some of their stuff was captured by the French and some of it was Germans accidentally landing in Kent after D-Day at night!).

This thread is exceptionally interesting re: this topic. The link starts on Page 2.

• Like 1

But then I looked at their completed - 44 and 56! Mine is 25 (completed kits - focus, focus). That made me think I should calculate some kind of ratio... I have a software company that provides advanced analytic solutions so, of course, I got out my pencil (you can draw your own graphs!).

What can we see from this? Well nothing, of course, it's just numbers. But my wife (who also, sometimes, buys things she doesn't use) did comment "You might get run over by a bus tomorrow". I think (hope) this was a comment on the fact that a) you should enjoy yourself while you're here B) you should get some kits built - life is short or c) "Have you got your life insurance sorted".Coincidently, "I might get run over by a bus tomorrow" was one of the replacement stickers in the kit I bought to go over those "Smoking kills" panels on my cigar packets (I vape now so nuh!). Other (non-PC) stickers (they were in one of my Man drawers):

For our US friends 'fags' in this context means 'cigarettes'. Boy, has that got me into trouble in the US before!

And, interestingly, the penultimate one may have something to it. Less smokers, more obesity. Or is that just a correlation?

I've only completed 56 models? I wonder who built all them kits in my display cases then. Hmmm - I thought I heard my compressor running during the middle of the night! Wifey! Was that you? Now I know why the roundels are on upside down...

Seriously, memsahib has never said "What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?" However, and this is a true fact you can't make this stuff up, I heard her tell her best friend (who queried about my hobby) "It keeps him out of the strip joints and bars. And I always know where he is - just follow the paint fumes."

Check out this dude's stash - and he's a Brit too.

Being a statistical analyst, you know that correlation doesn't equal causation. I think it's more cheeseburgers, more obesity. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

'Tigers tigers' stash wins @ 3098 stash with 22 completed. I can't help thinking all the effort I've gone to setting this up is going to be wasted....

Peewit canopy masks are in at Hannants - hooray!

Camouflage masks now out of stock - boo!

I had emailed the Hannants guys to ask if you can reserve one item and backorder another - computer says no.

Guess I'll have to use the 'manual' method. Ordered canopy masks and a Storch - gotta be done.

Being a statistical analyst, you know that correlation doesn't equal causation. I think it's more cheeseburgers, more obesity. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Not an analyst Bill, just a guy that does systems. I'm still, even in my advanced years, trying to get my head around stats. But I do know the difference between correlation and causal (I hope) and 'cheese burger' and 'obesity' looks like a good example.

You know that 'Data Scientist' is, apparently, the sexiest profession don't you? I asked a Prof recently if it was true that Data Scientists are the sexiest professionals. He did a quick double take and said "No Ced, Data Science is the sexiest profession. The Data Scientists just tend to be geeks". Go figure. (Thanks US guys for that phrase. And the another one I appreciate - 'Excuse me'. We only have one meaning for that. My US friends have trained me on at least 10 meanings depending on the intonation - great.)

I've only completed 56 models? I wonder who built all them kits in my display cases then. Hmmm - I thought I heard my compressor running during the middle of the night! Wifey! Was that you? Now I know why the roundels are on upside down...

I'm getting the feeling from you and Mr P that building the stash (and recording it) is more important than recording the completion. Hey guys, that's cool. It's the journey, not the destination etc etc.

and finally

Seriously, memsahib has never said "What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?" However, and this is a true fact you can't make this stuff up, I heard her tell her best friend (who queried about my hobby) "It keeps him out of the strip joints and bars. And I always know where he is - just follow the paint fumes."

Perfect! Modelling is a cover for the strip joint and bar visits! Just leave the top off a paint jar and you're free and clear!

I must stop checking posts this late... yes I am... it was a very nice (cheap at Sainsburys) Rioja Reserva. It's a well known fact that it goes off once the cork is out, so have to drink it up. Quickly.

Sorry Stew. I really am watching (and enjoying) the build.

• Like 1

(Thanks US guys for that phrase. And the another one I appreciate - 'Excuse me'. We only have one meaning for that. My US friends have trained me on at least 10 meanings depending on the intonation - great.)

Ha! I never really thought about that before. You're right! The English word I probably miss the most in other languages, however, is "whatever". The closest approximation in Russian is "ва всяком случае" (va vsyakom sluchaye) and it just doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

• Like 1

I'm getting the feeling from you and Mr P that building the stash (and recording it) is more important than recording the completion. Hey guys, that's cool. It's the journey, not the destination etc etc.

I'll tell you why I keep the stash on-line like that. On more than one occasion I've purchased a kit or an aftermarket item that I already owned. (My memory is not what it used to be!) With the stash on-line, I can check it any time right on my phone. So whether I'm standing in a hobby shop or purloining minutes from work, I always check to make sure that what is in my cart is not already in my stash! Once you have created it, it's terribly easy to maintain it.

Stew, we're going to keep talking about silly stuff unless you put some more photos up here! I want to hear the German guy in the back seat saying "Entschuldigung sie mich, bitte!" with a Steve Martin accent.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I've already done this, and my stash is still small enough that it fits underneath a 5' table! And now I have to download rent "The Man With Two Brains" and watch that tonight. Thanks a lot, Navy Bird! :P

Edited by caszerino

Well in my case, like a roadtrip in Michigan, it's just that the destination, as opposed to the trip, is so...disappointing.

• Like 1

Just caught up with this thread after quite a while...

Bill, I just realise that you own Hannant's!!!! That's their warehouse content you showed all of us! Nice one...

And obviously some people are excellent at time management in order to be able to build so many kits.

Unless, of course, they sold the kids and wife into slavery in order to buy more kits with the proceeds and remove with one stroke all the reasons for not being allowed to glue plastic bits together when we want.

Or am I reaching?

Oh, by the way, great combo build!!!!

Congrats

JR

• Like 3

Just caught up with this thread after quite a while...

Bill, I just realise that you own Hannant's!!!! That's their warehouse content you showed all of us! Nice one...

And obviously some people are excellent at time management in order to be able to build so many kits.

Unless, of course, they sold the kids and wife into slavery in order to buy more kits with the proceeds and remove with one stroke all the reasons for not being allowed to glue plastic bits together when we want.

Or am I reaching?

Oh, by the way, great combo build!!!!

Congrats

JR

Now there's a plan! Bugger! I haven't got any kids to sell!

Martin

My plan for stash reduction - sell the ones you don't think you'll ever build, or that you no longer wish to build. This is easier than it seems, IF you'll been building the stash for several decades. Take the money you get from selling old kits, and buy new ones that you really want. This reduces the stash since you have to sell three or four in order to have enough money to buy one.

I've been using this plan to replace ill-fitting, curse inducing Italeri kits with ill-fitting, curse inducing Special Hobby kits. But the subjects are much more interesting! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Honestly; you guys... the size of your stash is unimportant, it's what you do with it and the pleasure derived thereof that counts... :D

All this talk of stash reduction like you were worried it makes your bum look big or something :lol:

I had the weekend off from the Dorniers so any new pics would be the same as the old pics; I'll be back on the case later ;)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Looking great stew.

Man....... how did they jam four blokes into the front office of that aircraft.

More importantly ....why?

The thought was so if one was shot then there was a close replacement most German bombers had a similar layout but the do17 was terrible... they didn't really think that one through...

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 3

The thought was so if one was shot then there was a close replacement most German bombers had a similar layout but the do17 was terrible... they didn't really think that one through...

Rob

Quite right Rob, and apologies Bruce, I think it was also considered beneficial for morale. Comparing the two I think that the Ju88 cockpit might even be marginally smaller :huh: - by comparison the He111 is exceptionally roomy.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

My plan for stash reduction - sell the ones you don't think you'll ever build, or that you no longer wish to build. This is easier than it seems, IF you'll been building the stash for several decades. Take the money you get from selling old kits, and buy new ones that you really want. This reduces the stash since you have to sell three or four in order to have enough money to buy one.

I've been using this plan to replace ill-fitting, curse inducing Italeri kits with ill-fitting, curse inducing Special Hobby kits. But the subjects are much more interesting! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, you are being short sighted!!!! With the money you make by selling the kits you are happy to part with, try and entice a woman (women with a big stash like yours...), then sell her (them) into slavery, make a bigger profit, buy more kits!!! Easy! If you got some change left over, you can buy Belgian chocolate (the Belgian invented chocolate with that express purpose in mind) and entice some kids too. For moral reasons, I would personally eat the chocolate and forget about the kids... But one must realise the infinite potential big stashes open...

Where were we with the builds, by the way?

JR

• Like 2

Rob

Spot on.....by corollary ...smash one decent explosive device into that space and goodnight Irene...

Wow...there's some tough choices. Climb into that cockpit?

• Like 2