Vietnam GB Chat - *** GB Finished. ***

AnonymousDFB1

I'm thinking of building a Huey in 1/72 for this one....after all, what's a Vietnam GB without it! Any recommendations on what's out there that's reasonably accurate? (or easy enough to mod?)

Preference would be to do a troop-carrying version or Medevac if possible...

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

The Italeri model is usually the recommended kit. I bought the UH-1D and was quite impressed with the quality which led to the purchase of another.

• Like 1

Good morning

I would like to join this Gb but it will be hard to choose in the stash as I have a good amount of elligible kits of french aircraft ( P63 Kingcobra , Spitfire , Hellcat , Bearcat , Mosquito , Invader etc..) and also Us Aircraft (A4 Skyhawk ,F 8 Crusader , OV 10A Bronco , F4 Phantom , F 5 Freedom Fighter , F104 Starfighter , F 105 ...) .

If I have enough time I will build one or two kits of aircraft from both countries ..

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

Good morning

I would like to join this Gb but it will be hard to choose in the stash as I have a good amount of elligible kits of french aircraft ( P63 Kingcobra , Spitfire , Hellcat , Bearcat , Mosquito , Invader etc..) and also Us Aircraft (A4 Skyhawk ,F 8 Crusader , OV 10A Bronco , F4 Phantom , F 5 Freedom Fighter , F104 Starfighter , F 105 ...) .

If I have enough time I will build one or two kits of aircraft from both countries ..

Patrice

welcome. You have plenty of choice.

I had originally planned a MiG-21, however I decided to build the Thud as the MiG was supposed to have plenty of aftermarket and a complicated colour scheme. With little time for modelling these days I was not sure I could have completed the MiG.

I'm looking forward to Black Knight's MiGs now !

Does anyone know if the Sea King replaced the Jolly Green Giant in Vietnam, or were they both based out there? I don't know which to put in my diorama at the moment.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mark,

Looking at this again, I think the SH-3A was more of a Navy type so I probably could get away with both on the pan at the same time, albeit one resident and one visitor.

cheers

Mike

Think I might do another build at some point possibly with wing's I,ve never built any of Monogram's C-47,s in any form and I see the AC-47 in 1/48

is back on the shelve,s so it,s a possible choice.

Think I might do another build at some point possibly with wing's I,ve never built any of Monogram's C-47,s in any form and I see the AC-47 in 1/48

is back on the shelve,s so it,s a possible choice.

That would be cool. I have the Italeri 1:72 and would love the 1:48 but have nowhere to put it right now.

Thanks Mark,

Looking at this again, I think the SH-3A was more of a Navy type so I probably could get away with both on the pan at the same time, albeit one resident and one visitor.

cheers

Mike

Mike, one of my potential subject was a SAR Sea King, so I looked into the type a bit.

The Sea King as in SH-3 variant was used by the navy in both SH-3A and HH-3A variant. The latter was a conversion for Combat SAR duties but the SH-3A was also used in these missions. The Navy also used the externally similar SH-3D and probably also the G variant (that was used for transport only). I say probably as this variant started to be introcued in 1971, don't know how many may have served in theatre

The USAF received a small number of CH-3A/B, identical externally to the SH-3A but fitted for transport only. I've seen mentions of the Bs being used in Vietnam but I'm not sure if these are correct, it's likely that most CH-3Bs served in the continental US only.

Of course the CH-3C and HH-3E were widely used, but these had a different fuselage and a conversion is not easy

If you have an SH-3 available, then the easiest option is as you said, represent a visiting aircraft

Hey folks,

Would an F-8E Crusader be an acceptable choice? The one I have (big Trumpeter) has markings for VF-194 which look pretty good, albeit lacking the Bureau number. And as far as I can see the scheme and period are correct for one of their deployments to Vietnam.

(I'm not an expert, but it looks like a cool kit and it'd be nice to have an excuse to build it.)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Holy Hueys in the sunrise, another GB kicked off... I'm pretty sure I'll have to do a Switzerland on this one guys, and sit it out. I'm about to start a pretty solid month away for work (with a few days off for good behaviour), and I'm already about 4 GBs behind.

I'll keep watch, see how you all get on.

Mike, one of my potential subject was a SAR Sea King, so I looked into the type a bit.

The Sea King as in SH-3 variant was used by the navy in both SH-3A and HH-3A variant. The latter was a conversion for Combat SAR duties but the SH-3A was also used in these missions. The Navy also used the externally similar SH-3D and probably also the G variant (that was used for transport only). I say probably as this variant started to be introcued in 1971, don't know how many may have served in theatre

The USAF received a small number of CH-3A/B, identical externally to the SH-3A but fitted for transport only. I've seen mentions of the Bs being used in Vietnam but I'm not sure if these are correct, it's likely that most CH-3Bs served in the continental US only.

Of course the CH-3C and HH-3E were widely used, but these had a different fuselage and a conversion is not easy

If you have an SH-3 available, then the easiest option is as you said, represent a visiting aircraft

Thanks Giorgio. Now that I know about the different designations, I shall try searching around for images of these types; especially in a Vietnam setting. All my books are on shipping subjects so I have to trawl the webs to find any aircrafty stuff!

cheers

Mike

Snapper, if I find any time I'll have to spend it finishing what's been started - one of my rules was that for every GB I started, I'd finish one from the shelf of doom. Yeah, that went to plan...

However, one never knows what might be inspirational.

• Like 1