3 Spitfires with the Stripes (AZmodel 1/72)

rav

Three Spitfires LF.IX from AZmodel JoyPack, made together. I decided to have them all from Polish Air Force and with Invasion Stripes for the 70th Anniversary. Besides of that I tried to make them as different as possible - different squadrons, different shapes and condition of the stripes, one Spitfire has pointy rudder and other has no wheel disk covers. Things under wings are also different and include beer kegs of 'streamline' type used by 308 Sqn.

I have used 3 sets of Master cannon barrels and QuickBoost exhausts, 2 sets of QuickBoost masts (3 masts in a set, but one mast was broken as I have dropped a model upside down), 2 sets of Kora flat-disk wheels (not very good quality) and some details from CMR resin Spitfire - bombs with racks for WX-D and kegs for ZF-P. Racks for kegs were scratchbuilt with CMR ones as a template. The propellers have axes from brass tubes to let them turn easily for in-flight photos. Decals from various sets of Techmod (including the ones in Sword kits).

Feel free to click the photos to see more of them on my website.

1. ZF-P NH186, 308 Squadron PAF, Chailey, England, June 24, 1944. The kegs were used to bring beer to brothers in arms in Normandy. The plane was hit y flak and lost on September 11, 1944 near Nieuwdorp. F/O Jerzy Mazurkiewicz evaded capture and returned 6 weeks later assisted by Dutch Resistance.

2596.jpg

2603.jpg

2606.jpg

2608.jpg

2. WX-D MH712 "Pat", 302 Squadron PAF, autumn 1944. Pilot: W/O Henryk Dygała.

2610.jpg

2616.jpg

2619.jpg

2622.jpg

3. SZ-G NH342, Chailey, England, autumn 1944. Personal mount of G/Cpt Aleksander Gabszewicz (9,5 confirmed kills, 1,33 probables, 3 damages) from June to October 1944 has markings of 316 Sqn PAF, although she was not part of it. Gabszewicz was pilot (and commander) of 316 Sqn till June 1942, then Wing Commander/Flying of 2nd Polish Wing and finally the 1st Polish Wing. He was also attached to the Command of 131 Wing RAF in February 1944, leading the wing during the invasion of Normandy.

2623.jpg

2625.jpg

2629.jpg

2631.jpg

2635.jpg

• Like 20

Those are three of the best 1/72 Spitfires I have seen on here. Stunning models and great photography. Really like the different appearances you've achieved. Well done!

Great builds! Love the under wing kegs! Can imagine the horror seeing an ac armed with what looks like two massive bombs coming for you... Soon eased by the drink inside I'm sure.

Fantastic paint work on the last invasion strips.

Rob

I've nearly bought a Spitfire Joy Pack once or twice myself

If you like Spitfires (who doesn't?) you should have the JoyPack. "Spitfires are like potato chips, you can't have just one". I have 2,33 JoyPacks (4 models still to do) plus Tr.9 and I'm going to finish all of them. AZmodel is not as easy to make as Tamiya, but with a little more effort you get similar result.

IMG_7675.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

Edited by rav
  • Like 1

any chance of seeing some Griffon Spits from you in the future ;) ?

Yes. Five Griffons are waiting in my stash, including two F.21 (Eduard and Special Hobby), two F.22 (Airfix and Xtrakit) and one Seafire FR.47. One F.21 and one F.22 will have markings of 615 Sqn RAuxAF - guess why ;-) Edited by rav