Kaman SH-2F Seasprite - Kitty Hawk 1:48

Julien

Kaman SH-2F Seasprite

Kitty Hawk 1:48

box.JPG

The Kaman SH-2 Seasprite was originally developed for the US Navy as a fast utility helicopter. Only later would it be developed into the Anti-submarine Helicopter we know. In the late 1950s the US Navy launched a competition to meet its requirement for a compact all weather utility helicopter. After looking at all the submissions the USN chose the then model K-20 for further development. The K-20 was a conventional single engine helicopter with a four bladed main rotor and a four blade tail rotor. The first flight test was 1959 for the by now HU2K-1 Seasprite. This would then become the UH-2B under the 1962 Tri-Service system. The original helicopters were found to be underpowered and were extensively re-manufactured bringing in twin engines.

In the late 1960s the US Navy had identified an urgent need for a light helicopter to operate from and support non-aviation ships. This was to be The Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System of LAMPS as it became. The UH-2 was selected for conversion to the SH-2 anti-submarine configuration. The small size of the SH-2 allowed it to be operated from decks which were to small for other helicopters in use at he time. The SH-2 with its radar and other sensors allowed ships to extend their situational awareness over the horizon of the ships own radar, and for submarines further out than the shipboard sensors would allow. The SH-2 was then upgraded to the SH-2F configuration in the 1980s. The upgraded countermeasures and additional equipment allowed the helicopter to operate in hostile areas such as the Gulf where the submarine threat was limited. The US Navy retired its SH-2F Seasprites in 1993.

The only other operator for the SH-2F was the Royal New Zealand Navy who operated the type in an interim role between retiring its Westland Wasps and taking delivery of SH-2G Super Seasprites.

The kit
There has been some excitement amongst helicopter modellers since Kitty hawk announced they would issue a 1:48 Seasprite. The only previous kit of the helicopter being the old and basic Matchbox kit.

On opening the full box you get six sprues of grey plastic, one of clear plastic, a decal sheet, a small Photo etched fret and the instruction booklet. The two main fuselage sides are not moulded on a sprue but are loose inside their own plastic bag. These look to have been moulded on their own so there are no sprue attachment points to clean up, just a few injector pin marks depending on how much you open up the doors. These parts are that well made that they in fact clip together!

fuse.JPG

Generally the parts are well formed, they feature fine engraved detail, and raised detail where needed. The detail especially on the main fuselage parts is so fine I am worried it will disappear under a few coats of paint. The sprue gates seem to be thicker than some manufactures and care will be needed to remove parts. There as been some thought in how some parts fit together. For example the engine pod halves have the seam on the model parts where the seam is on the real parts. Some parts though like the nose (which is split into four parts) seem to be over engineered (though I hate to use that term) Why use 4 parts for this I dont know?

2.JPG

A couple of areas of disappointment are; there is just a simple bench seat provided in the rear, not much in the way of the sensor station and no seat for the third crew member. The seat and its occupant can be seen on all shots of the helicopter from the left side. I cant understand why you would provide sliding doors for this area and not include the correct interior? Additional I am told the transmission cover above the cockpit looks to be from the SH-2G and for the SH-2F needs to be further back, and lack some of the detail shown.

5.JPG

Construction of the kit starts with the interior. The Pilot and co-pilot stations are both provided with full flight controls. The seats are three parts with photo etch seat belts being provided. Decals are provided for the instrument panel and are added at this stage. Once these parts are assembled the wheel wells are made up and fixed into each fuselage half and the front lower windows are added. The rear left door is added at this stage as it appears to fit from the inside. Once all of these parts are in the fuselage halves can be assembled.

4.JPG

The next step is to add the glazing to the front of the helicopter. Care will be needed here as the clear parts need to attach to each other. The horizontal tail parts and tail rotor drive shaft are also added. Following this the main transmission housing is completed and added to the top. PE parts are provided for vents in this area. The four part nose is then assembled and added to the front. Crew doors are also added at this time.

1.JPG

The next step is to assemble the two engines, and also the covers for the landing gear. These are then added to the main fuselage. Next you get to assemble all the parts which hang of the side of the helo. Two different sized fuel tanks are provided as well as two torpedoes. The sprues also include maverick missiles though they are not mentioned anywhere. The MAD (magnetic anomaly detector) is also assembled at this time. Part of this is formed by bending a PE part into a cone. It is not shown on the instructions how to do this and no plastic part is provided if you dont want to do this. All of the external fittings and landing gear are then added to the main fuselage.

6.JPG

The main rotors are then assembled. The rotor head seems fairly well represented and the rotor sandwich the head parts with a backing part. Hopefully this will make for a strong join. The main rotors have the signature Kaman parts which will look good. The tail rotor is also assembled at this time. Once these are finished they are attached to the finished model. Lastly a set of PE windscreen wipers are added to the front.

3.JPG

Canopy
As you would expect for a Helicopter there is extensive glazing. Kitty Hawk have captured the blown side windows and general shapes of the glazing very well indeed. The parts are clear and free from any problems. Due to the complex shapes of some of these parts there are more attachment points than usual. The modeller will need to take care when removing these.

clear.JPG

Decals
The decal sheet is quite small and contains insignia for one aircraft, with schemes for three. Also included as decals are the stripes for the tail planes and supporting struts.

• SH-2F 151309 of Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light THREE ONE.
  • SH-2F 151314 of Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light THREE SEVEN.
  • SH-2F 149750 of Naval Air Test Center Patuxent River.

decals.jpg

There is no manufacturer listed for the decal sheet. It looks to be all in register with good colour definition and depth for the white parts. The carrier film seems very minimal and these should present no problems to the modeller. A second small sheet is provided with cockpit instrument decals and Squadron markings. It should be noted that the prominent white walkway markings for the topside of the airframe are not included on the decal sheet.

Lastly I would like to mention the instructions. On these whole these are good, and printed so that there are colour profiles for all three decal options. There are some steps which are a little vague but nothing a competent modeller will not be able to work through. The colour call out for the main helicopter is wrong though. Midnight Blue is called for when by this time the helicopters should be Engine Grey FS36076. For the China Lake example the Orange should be International Orange FS12197 and not fluorescent/Dayglo.

Conclusion
On the whole this is welcome release from Kitty Hawk who seem to be giving us kits we have asked for. There are a couple of areas they could pay more attention to, but as a new company they should be applauded for releases like this.

We also have a Walkaround of the Seasprite

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

and available soon from major hobby shops

• Like 1

Great review Julian thank you ! i have one on its way to me and am keen to see it in the flesh as it were

With all the negative responses to kits made in thin part of the world on various forums including this one its refreshing to have one written in this manner

Cheers

• Like 2

Finally a descent Huk2ki, well an F but as Kitty Hawk have announted a G model then yes were going to see od parts not intended for this type. The Matchbox one was woefully inadequate. I've spotted a couple of oddities, three instrument panels top left first sprue,lower right second sprue, both small and presumably the weapons officers and then the cockpit panel third sprue left of centre. The cockpit seat cushions seem ill defines as do some of the other parts and two load lifting hooks centre right third sprue.

On the PE parts the seat belt harnesses look good and a spare set to boot, the cone for the MAD Bird and the two hatch cover aft of the MRH which would have been difficult to mould properly plus a sellection of cooling intake/outlet grill. Finally a good decal sheet, which should keep most happy until the AM guys come to the party.

I'm happy, I'll have one please. Anyone seen if Lucy Mode in HK have them in stock yet?

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Colin,

Yes I spotted the extra instrument panels. Looks like parts are there for the third crew member position. There is also supplied next to the two pilot seats the jump seat which sits in the rear on the right. Just a shame they missed the seat for the third crew member. I am thinking of getting the cobra set and then using the kit seat for the back.

Agree some of the parts are a bit soft but overall I am happy with the kit.

If anyone wants different decals Caracal are doing a sheet, he is also including the walkaway markings which are missing in the kit: http://caracalmodels.com/48scale.html

Julien

2.JPG

(...) Additional I am told the transmission cover above the cockpit looks to be from the SH-2G and for the SH-2F needs to be further back, and lack some of the detail shown. (...)

A serious problem as the kit has the transmission hump of the SH-2G, which extends farther forward over the cockpit than on the SH-2F. And if you decide to reduce or reshape the bump by yourself then the canopy parts are to short and let you a hole. So you need a new upper canopy part... Not easy to fix.

A message for the KittyHawk designer, the so-called M. Song: "do not bite off more than you can chew".

clear1_zpsd3a64405.jpg

Note the differences in how forward the transmission hump extends on the kit and in the real helicopter:

SH-2F (real)

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/9/5/1416592.jpg

SH-2F(kit) just like SH-2G

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig25/10254114t3.jpg

SH-2G (real)

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/4/8/1913844.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

A serious problem as the kit has the transmission hump of the SH-2G, which extends farther forward over the cockpit than on the SH-2F. And if you decide to reduce or reshape the bump by yourself then the canopy parts are to short and let you a hole. So you need a new upper canopy part...[/size]

Yes i did actually mention this in the review.

Additional I am told the transmission cover above the cockpit looks to be from the SH-2G and for the SH-2F needs to be further back, and lack some of the detail shown.

The modeller will be able to fill this hole. However the problem is the shape of the windows in the top.

Julien

Tanks for the review.

Wasn't there an early CSAR version of this machine, used by the USN in the early Vietnam days?

Hi,

Yes there were UH-2A's and UH-2B's

Julien

There was agood article in an Air Enthusiast of the '80's which covered rescue choppers in Vietnam and had soem good pics, I can't find my copy!!!

The glasing/front fairing was something I spotted a while back when the box art first appeared but wanted to wait until th espure shots appeared. It's going to be difficult to sort out as the eyebrow parts were fully glased on the F modles. Also cutting back the front fairing might not be just that simple. Soemone didn't do their homework, or there was some short cuts taken.

I see over on ARC in the Helo forum there is mention of Floyd Warners company logo being on the box top (top left).

Colin

Hi,

Yes there were UH-2A's and UH-2B's

Julien

And the rather cool HH-2D, of course, with a chin turret rather similar to the AH-1G... Actually, that should be buildable from this SH-2F/G kit without too many issues...

The earlier single-engined versions would be quite a big conversion task, on the other hand. Easier in 1/72, where a resin conversion kit is available for the old Airfix SH-2F kit.

And the rather cool HH-2D, of course, with a chin turret rather similar to the AH-1G... Actually, that should be buildable from this SH-2F/G kit without too many issues...

The earlier single-engined versions would be quite a big conversion task, on the other hand. Easier in 1/72, where a resin conversion kit is available for the old Airfix SH-2F kit.

The HH-2D would be very doable from this kit, open up the back window on the right side and the chin turret. You would also have to do the fairings for the gear.

If someone did a HUK1-2 conversion then you could build the H-2 Tomahawk!

The glasing/front fairing was something I spotted a while back when the box art first appeared but wanted to wait until th espure shots appeared. It's going to be difficult to sort out as the eyebrow parts were fully glased on the F modles. Also cutting back the front fairing might not be just that simple. Soemone didn't do their homework, or there was some short cuts taken.

I see over on ARC in the Helo forum there is mention of Floyd Warners company logo being on the box top (top left).

Colin

Colin like a lot of kits there are errors, some easily fixed and some not. I am not forming a lynch mob over it though, as I hate it when that happens. Some peeople will try and fix it, most will probably build as is.

Julien

I received my kit today and agree with what Julien has said about the kit. Quite nice detail.

I won't be worrying about the incorrect transmission housing and will most likely build as is........

BUT...... If the chap at Kittyhawk who thinks its a great idea to fold over two joined sprues to fit them into the box is reading this - Please give yourselves a swift uppercut to the jaw and have a good hard look at yourself.

My kit sprues are bent over in such a fashion that the root ends of all the main rotor blades are bent by the parts on the adjoined Sprue.

Minor niggle and should be fixable but come on Kittyhawk - you can do better when you you expect me to pay top dollar for your kits.

I received my kit today and agree with what Julien has said about the kit. Quite nice detail.

I won't be worrying about the incorrect transmission housing and will most likely build as is........

BUT...... If the chap at Kittyhawk who thinks its a great idea to fold over two joined sprues to fit them into the box is reading this - Please give yourselves a swift uppercut to the jaw and have a good hard look at yourself.

My kit sprues are bent over in such a fashion that the root ends of all the main rotor blades are bent by the parts on the adjoined Sprue.

Minor niggle and should be fixable but come on Kittyhawk - you can do better when you you expect me to pay top dollar for your kits.

Yes I agree that was a bad idea with the sprues, should just have cut them.

Mine were genuinely OK I would have said otherwise, but I have seen at least one other person say the same as you that other parts were bent.

Julien

I've long been against the sprue-folding business, as it makes it a pain to look at the parts without getting the side-cutters out. It wouldn't take much extra effort to cut them with a tool after they're cool (sorry about the rhyming), and a lot of folks would probably prefer it that way :)

• 1 month later...

I recieved my kit this last week and after having had a good look at it, I think Kity HAwk may have just cut too many corners in trying to make one kit fit too many variants. I think they should have released the G version first and then the F and maybe if they can a HU2K-1. The level of detail is fine but raised rivets ala the Airfix Lynx would have made it a much better kit.

Some of the PE parts have suffered from a lack of good research, ie, only two 'rudder' pedal covers and on th eleft seat!!!

For the price and as Andresw says top dollar, ther have been too many corner cut.

Come on Kitty Hawk there are modellers out there that are willing to offer their assistance, so use them, please. Acadamy did with their H-46 and look what a magnificent kit that is.

Colin

• Like 1

Whilst I agree, they are a fairly new company and the Seasprite is not the best researched subject helicopter wise. There are enough people out here that have the knowledge of the subject and hence my comment re the Acaadamy H-46. All you have to do is ask. I have a freind who was asked to Revell to help on the RN Lynx kit, he did and was rewarded not gratly in my opinion but rewarded non-the-less.

The way I see it is, that we can help the indusrty all thay have to do is say, Help!

I'm in no way bashing Kitty Hawk, as I see it they have done a good job in their short time in the marketplace. Just look at the Hawkeye and Greyhound, who would have ever thought/deampt we would have seen a Greyhound in 48th scale? It's not just them, imagine how fantastic Italeri's Chinook would have been if they had only taked to the crew chief who wrote the article that appeared in SAM? Imagine again, how fantastic there Wessex's could have been if they had only asked? I'd have cheerefully have spent a year in Italy showing them how to doit!!!!

Just my two pennyworth.

Colin

I

Well it will be interesting to see how they go with the G model.

I have offered them via another forum the full finishing scheme drawings for the RNZAF version, but never received a reply. Perhaps they are only going to offer USN or Polish version, who knows.

• 1 month later...

One extra addition:

Thanks fo the lengthy revieuw.

I agree with my fellow modelers that this important model has not been researched well enough.

They are on the right track with their choice of models.

The exact color for this helo would be not bleu, but engine gray FS16081.

Regards,

Dirk

Edited by Orion