Italeri Sunderland Mk.I - It's done...well 99.9% !

woody37

Cheers, got the pictures taken now. According to the instructions, the main beaching trollets are grey, but the little tail trolley is either red or green, does this sound right ? I'm sure I've seen the main trolleys red, although that might be later war.

There's not much to see with the landing lights, mainly because selotape does such a neat job, you can hardly see the overlap, my only worry is them yellowing and getting damaged, but life's too short to worry !!! The lens's are the Little Car's ones...

wheels.jpg

front_turret.jpg

landing_lights2.jpg

landing_lights1.jpg

corrected_engine.jpg

There's not much to see with the landing lights, mainly because selotape does such a neat job, you can hardly see the overlap, my only worry is them yellowing and getting damaged, but life's too short to worry !!! The lens's are the Little Car's ones...

They look good, what did you use to mask them with, Tamiya tape?

Will probably use the idea on some of my older kits that need replacement landing light covers.

Look forward to seeing the Sunderland finished,

Tony

They look good, what did you use to mask them with, Tamiya tape?

Will probably use the idea on some of my older kits that need replacement landing light covers.

Look forward to seeing the Sunderland finished,

Tony

no mate, just painted over free hand then carefully covered with a bit of kitchen roll while I touched the matt finish up with varnish from the airbrush. I didn't want to mask for fear of damaging the tape. Forst time I've tried this technique, a whole lot easier than other methods.

Cheers

Cheers, got the pictures taken now. According to the instructions, the main beaching trollets are grey, but the little tail trolley is either red or green, does this sound right ? I'm sure I've seen the main trolleys red, although that might be later war.

Hi Neil looking really good!

To answer your quesion on the beaching gear you could paint the stern dolly grey also.

BeachingCradlecopy.jpg

This photo link shows an early war Mk I with grey beaching dolly

http://www.ww2incolo...Sunderland base

To add some variety, you could paint the boxy floats green/red to signify both Port/Starboard,

I have seen a beaching dolly like that

Hope that helps?

Alan

Looking great Neil,

You`re on the home stretch now mate! You know that you really want to mount it on a diorama at the top of a slipway don`t you,.......I`ll get my coat then shall I?!!

Keep up the good work,

Tony O

Hi Neil looking really good!

To answer your quesion on the beaching gear you could paint the stern dolly grey also.

Hope that helps?

Alan

It helps perfectly Alan, thanks. Even better, I had already painted it grey, so it can stay that way !!!

An issue that is confusing me is the etch aileron sticky out bits provided in the kit. These look more like balance tabs, but pictures clearly show control rods as used on the Stirling. Can anyone shed light or opinion ?

Tony, you're right, it does need a diorama, just don't have much time without sacrificing further kit builds. I need to retire !!!!!

An issue that is confusing me is the etch aileron sticky out bits provided in the kit. These look more like balance tabs, but pictures clearly show control rods as used on the Stirling. Can anyone shed light or opinion ?

Hi Neil

Hopefully these will help you

This photo shows the wing without aileron, not notches in trailing edge, these are for

"Rods" connected to the "Horn"

1c26c14b.jpg

This photo of a Solent wing (similar/same system to Sunderland) you can just make out the rod/horn connection

attaching to aileron from wing

Solentcopy_zps816d1a17.jpg

These links give you a better idea of conections etc

http://i104.photobuc...HB280265_dn.jpg

http://www.dspace.ca...RNHAM-E-003.jpg

Hope that helps you?

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Your weathering is fantastic woody, it looks spot on to my eye as it's so easy to over do but you've captured the look beautifully.

I will need to pick your brains when it comes to weathering my B-29, unless you want to do it for me of course!?

Alan,

Thanks for those pics, I just don't think the etch parts look right, so I'll scratch build some horns / rods much the same as I did on the Stirling.

Tom, thanks mate. Apart from the paint tonal variations and a wash, all the weathering was done using dry pastel brushing, I'll put some pics up later of what I use, I like this method because you can correct mistakes until you seal it in.

Being the plonka I am, I've just realised that since correcting the No.2, the exhaust stains are in the wrong place, so more respraying and re-weathering is needed.....doh !

Anyway, got more sticky out bits on now, left to do are:

• Fit the wing floats - I hate rigging so been putting this off !
  • paint & fit the bombs
  • Make the aileron horns & rods
  • Gas patch decal - should of really done this a while back, just can't get the staff here !!
  • Fit the etch little round storm window to the cockpit

Cheers

Will do matey.

Took a few pics last night of the beaching trolleys in place. You can also see some paint chipping, I've not done it as severe as photographs show the real thing at one stage of its career, but enough to make an effect. Also, the brushes used for weathering. The small one is cut so that there is a very small bristle length to get into panel lines. The best pastels are the square artist ones, such as the black one here as you can simply run the brush along it to load the colour up. To use normal chalk type, I find I have to rub it onto sand paper and rub the brush on that.

wheels1.jpg

wheels2.jpg

pastels.jpg

• Fit the wing floats - I hate rigging so been putting this off !
  • paint & fit the bombs
  • Make the aileron horns & rods
  • Gas patch decal - should of really done this a while back, just can't get the staff here !!
  • Fit the etch little round storm window to the cockpit

Cheers

Hi Neil

Your Beaching gear has turned out really well, Kudos to you!!!

If you need any photos to help with the float rigging, just let me know.

An FYI for you (and anyone else building the Mk I (or II or early production M III)) the round items you

referred to as "Storm Windows" are actually known as an Emergency panel and cutter.

The Mk I/II Manual for the Sunderland makes no mention of them, the Mk III Manual has a picture of

the items and refers to it as Emengecy Panel cutter.

The Panel/Cutter only appeared on early production Mk III Sunderlands, and were deleted from

later Mk III (not referring to Mk IIIa) production aircraft (per M & E manual Mk III Sunderland amendments).

Regards

Alan

"Isn't she lovely, isn't she wonderful"

this is a great model...ouch no gerroff, I mean portrait, of the mighty Sunderland

looking really good, I love the beaching gear Neil

excellent stuff, fabulous weathering around the waterline, just looks "right" not too much not too little

b

Hi Alan,

Cheers mate.

The photograph of this aircraft that I've been using shows the panel cutter in place, are we talking about the same thing, the round panel on each side of the cockpit glazing ?

Cheers

Hi Neil

Yes it will be the one and same.

These photos are from my own personal copy of the "Pilots and Flight Engineers Notes"

Sunderland Mk III (Used for Illustration purposes only)

This first photo shows the Panel, Note number 16 you should be able to see the handle of

the cutter.

FILE0282copy_zps7dc12ebc.jpg

Next photo is of the "Key" to numbers, see number 16 for name/title

FILE0284copy_zpsa7120fdf.jpg

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Well, been stuck in this weekend as I want to get it off the workbench...well dining room table !!!

Only the astrodome to make and the wire from the tail to the mast. I'll post some pics in RFI later. Thanks to everyones help and inspiration, especially Alan, your enthusiasm has been contageous :)

So, what's my verdict ?

I like the kit. There are a few niggles, the panel lines need some work to reduce the trenches and the landing light covers don't fit properly, the astrodome is thicker than the real thing, the sprue attachment points are a pain in places, but I enjoyed the build and the detail OOB is rather nice, supplementing any additional detail you may choose to throw at it. I've wanted to build a Sunderland for a long time and now have one, although I still want to do a Mk.III at some point. The fit of the parts on the whole is very good, perhaps too good in places, laying some paint down may cause some minor fit issues of you don't compensate with a little sanding here and there. I can certainly recommend it for any Sunderland fans.

finished3.jpg

fin7.jpg

• Like 4