1/24th deHavilland Mosquito FBVI

I've been working on this stunning kit for approximately five months, and applied the finishing touches today.

I can confidently say this is the most stunning injection molded kit I've ever built. The level of detail is simply outstanding, and the fit of the parts equally so.

It was built almost out of the box, with only a few aftermarket additions. The kit's rubber tyres were replaced with resin examples from MasterCasters, not because the kit examples are poor, but because I was worried about cracking of the rubber over time.

I used a harness set form MDC, and decals came from Xtradecal, as I wanted to an invasion striped aircraft.

All paints were from Hannants' Xtracolour enamel range, with the exception of varnishes which came from Humbrol spray cans.

The finished model represents Mosquito FBVI MM403 SB-V of 464 Squadron, RAF Thorney Island, summer 1944.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

The engines were 'out of the box' and all wiring and pipework is supplied in the kit:

DSC_0030.jpg

I made a few additions to the nose guns - namely the handles to open the ammo boxes and a few extra stencils:

DSC_0014.jpg

I used replacement wheels, and fashioned the guards on the intakes from fine mesh:

DSC_0013.jpg

Bomb-day was done 'out of the box':

DSC_0016.jpg

I used paint and masks to represent the red no-step areas above the radiators as the raised rivet detail was sure to cause silvering of the decal, and also added some wiring for the radios:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

The only thing to be aware of with this kit is the thick sprue gates - it can make the removal of the more more delicate parts from the sprues tricky, but with a new, sharp exacto blade and careful cutting I overcame the problem.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable build, and recommended to all - providing you have the room to store it of course. Now where are the plans for that extension... :winkgrin:

Tom

• Like 2

That looks a complete stunner, great detail, i too would love one of these, but wouldn't have the space for it (managment would complain if i remove her orniments, and replaced them with other items. well done sir!

• 2 weeks later...