Tiffee at Northolf

Julien

Sweet!

I remember standing at Wattisham approach on the roof of the car with my dad and the Phantom nearly taking our heads off, just brilliant. We did move back after that as was a little close for comfort but such a buzz and memory

Seen these fly over where I work in Uxbridge, terrific noise, you don't have to look out the window to tell what it is.

Speak of the devil just heard two of them take off

Edited by kev67

Not much of a fan of modern electric jets, BUT, I'd be happy all day long seeing these zip across my neighbourhood!

Thats a nice picture with a highly unusual setting for a Typhoon on short finals. However, why does it need 5 or 6 Britplods standing around? There are traffic lights to stop the traffic and the photographers are inside the traffic light controlled area and being ignored? Are they regulalry found at Northolt in such numbers when the 125s and the like arrive?

There used to be a spotters enclosure there. To the left of the picture you'll see a hedge and somewhere along there was an opening witha fenced path to a litte shack like enclosure with seating and you could take pictures to your hearts content! I use to go there occasionlly back in the mid 70's, got some great pics of Dutch Atlantics, Devons, 125, Beech UC-21, USN C-118 and the like.

Doubt its there now with heightened security etc.

Edited by Paul J

There used to be a spotters enclosure there. To the left of the picture you'll see a hedge and somewhere along there was an opening witha fenced path to a litte shack like enclosure with seating and you could take pictures to your hearts content! I use to go there occasionlly back in the mid 70's, got some great pics of Dutch Atlantics, Devons, 125, Beech UC-21, USN C-118 and the like.

Doubt its there now with heightened security etc.

hmmm how much to sit on my roof ???????

Mmm, Tiffies in Northolt, snipers in Puma's to chase light aircraft and missiles on tower blocks, I think it might be better to stay at home watch the Olympics on the telly....... :blink:

Colin

At least we know how to deal with security (sorry the wife!!) at home. ....... Could be a good time to get a few purchases in while she is watching the box !!! :wicked:

I'm surprised the plod aren't wearing ear defenders and wrapped in cotton wool in this health and safety gone mad.....sorry. :angrysoapbox.sml:

Don't you mean the Firey's..............................................hold that door open........... :door: ............thank you

Interesting pics. I can understand the locals not being used to seeing that but it's pretty much the standard height over the fence at the 07 end of Coningsby, where the fence has been blown over several times! Have been looking at the pics of the four jets that have arrived and all have been stripped of external tanks, with all besides one just carrying a single ASRAAM training round, the fourth carrying a full load of inert AMRAAMs/ASRAAMs. Be interesting to see if they are able to operate out of Northolt with external tanks and warshots when they do go 'live'. If not, I wonder if any planning has gone into AAR?

Gary

They get off the ground inside 2000' of runway at CGY without re-heat, so I reckon that they will get off Northolt fuelled and armed to the max. However, they will not really need external fuel as the distances to the Olympic site are so small and they are extraordinarily fuel efficient.

1. i hoesstly thought thay were war shot

2. if they are gong to be true QRA over london they aint going to be going distance so wont need tanks i belive 6 sqn will be covering the whole of the ukon QRA at the time except civil approaches to london

Edited by markmarples

With Con's Q covering the south they might fly clean ie flying local area with a local base localish tanker if needed , reducing t/o weight :hmmm:

damn Mark beat me to it

curse my stubby fingers (grrrrr)

Edited by mtd350

Just look at all the fluorescent yellow vest, the yellow barriers and red lights. Come on just how many people does it take to land a a Tyfool? It's getting ridiculous the amount of cash you guys in the UK are spending on H and S.

Come on guys get real. People have to take risks in their daily working activities, otherwise we wouldn't have risk managers! Would we?

I was recently sent a pic of what I thought was a Merlin helicopter, I was mistaken it was a load of nice shiny aluminium maintenance platforms disguised as a Merlin! That is where the defence budget is going not on aircraft but 50 quid pack of Araldite and work platforms. You can't send a work platform to bomb the enemy, can you? Sounds like man-vegetables to me!

Next thing, you'll be sending police out in yellow jackets, so you don't bump into them!

Colin on the Africa Station

Gents,

I understand your thinking and I don't disagree but I wasn't really thinking of range to intercept an inbound threat. Obviously that's going to be heading in but I was thinking more along the lines of endurance once up to maintain coverage until relief is available. It's standard practise for a returning QRA pair at Coningsby to have one aircraft hold off until after the first has been recovered and turned around - I've seen the routine several times. It's also usually SOP to have the ready VC-10 come up out of Brize when a QRA sortie is in process, even if it turns out the aircraft is not needed. The margins are going to be a lot tighter if they're not working without tanks or have not planned to have AAR available near the capital. I just wonder if the lack of tanks is through choice or a necessity of using the Northolt runway. As far as I've seen, Coningsby QRA has always departed in A/B when launching with twin tanks and 6 to 8 warshots.

I checked a bigger pic of 'Delta Delta' and the banding indicates inert rounds.

Gary

Edited by gary1701