Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81 - quick look in the box

John

Lightning fast service, as usual, from Hornby's online shop!

104_1211.jpg

104_1212.jpg

104_1213.jpg

104_1214.jpg

104_1215.jpg

104_1216.jpg

104_1217.jpg

104_1218.jpg

104_1219.jpg

Remember that its late afternoon here and the parts were photographed in my kitchen with the sun getting low in the sky, so the light is coming at an angle

from the top of the sprue pics.

Just thought I'd mention it.

John

I suspect we'll be seeing it in a range of boxings. A Pearl Harbor version will be released as a Dogfight Double with the new Zero, and we're bound to see an RAF version with maybe desert and Army Co-operation markings?

John

I don't know a great deal about the AVG, but I'm surprised at how pale the blue in the national marking is.

John

It is actually a bit too light, Sir. According to Mr.Millman, this is the proper range:

CAF_Blue.jpg

But manufacturers often get the color wrong. On one hand, people over-estimate the fading, and on the other, the K.M.T. often referred to the sun on blue as representing 'the sun in the sky',which may have led some to infer a sky blue in the absence of other information.

Somebody please, please, tell me this doesn't have some weird dimensional goof-up like their MiG-15!

It looks absolutely gorgeous, and I think my other Chinese-made kits now have a solid date with the bin...

Cannot wait for them to get to the shops here in the States!

The colour chips posted by Old Man might benefit from the context that originally accompanied them:-

Although not defined by Nationalist law the colour was almost always represented in flags and markings as a dark to mid-toned blue with no "sky blue" or turquoise character whatsoever. The 'Album des pavillons nationaux et des marques distinctives' identifies the blue as being Pantone 301c (shown above), whilst Ian K Baker, drawing on the hand-painted colour chips of AVG researcher Terrill Clements, describes it as close to FS *5102, but slightly lighter, when new and reasonably close to *5177 when faded. The closest FS value to Pantone 301c is 25095 @ 1.87 and Munsell 5 PB 3/10 at 2.95.

All these colours seem a little bright and light to me. I have seen Kuomintang flags and commemoratives with a much darker blue than this, almost like a dark navy blue. There is no doubt that the blue paint faded badly with UV exposure but it tended towards a greyish blue rather than a turquoise or "sky blue". Very few decal sheets seem to get these colours right and a generic sheet of accurately coloured Chinese Air Force stars would be very welcome as there are so many diverse and interesting types of aircraft which they could be applied to.

My comment about the colour of the markings wasn't a criticism, just an observation. I suspect my take on the colour is probably influenced by the more modern version of the marking, which seems to be generally darker.

The last kit I actually built with Nationalist Chinese markings was a FROG P-38!

John

Airfix already have a 112 Sq sharkmouth in their range - the Flying Tigers are rather better known worldwide than 112 Sq, and more closely associated with the early P-40. So that's three good reasons, but it is somewhat surprising that they are restricting themselves to a single subject for the markings.

My comment about the colour of the markings wasn't a criticism, just an observation. I suspect my take on the colour is probably influenced by the more modern version of the marking, which seems to be generally darker.

The last kit I actually built with Nationalist Chinese markings was a FROG P-38!

John

My posting of those chips, Sir, was certainly not meant to discourage people from buying the kit.The mistake is very common, and as someone with an abiding interest in Nationalist Chinese aircraft and operations up to the end of their civil war, I am always happy to see a model out with Chinese markings in any guise. Wider interest is the only way to get any increase in accuracy....

• 2 weeks later...